• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - Seven Orphans That Beat the Odds

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RegSuzaku

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:06 am Reply with quote
Ichiru and Issei Kuga from Tsukipro.

Everyone... seriously go watch episode 7 of Tsukipro the Animation right now.

Basically, they grew up in an orphanage, but it wasn't a bad experience. They were well taken care of, and they had as good a childhood as anyone else, and the only thing that makes them feel bad about it is when other people assume they did have a bad experience, and feel sorry for them. The fact that everyone treats them like that is what makes them (or at least Ichiru) feel things like, "If we'd grown up in a normal home, we wouldn't have these problems," over something like their first time acting in a play, which would be difficult for anyone.

In the episode, they get cast in a play, and in the play, their characters are twins who run away from a bad orphanage. Issei doesn't like that in the script, and he asks the director to change it, but he worries that he might be punished for speaking out of turn, essentially.

In the end, one of the people who raised them in the orphanage comes from Hokkaido to see their play, and they're happy to see them, and like... there's no bad feelings or abuse or anything.

It's just people caring about each other and being happy, in an arrangement that isn't like what you normally see.

And that's why this whole "sad orphan" trope really annoys me...

Seriously, go watch that episode. It's episodic enough that you can understand it out of context. It's really sweet.

........ also like. Whoever made this list probably hasn't even watched that show. And there's probably hundreds of other shows that people miss, and like... ughhh I just feel bad for people who don't get heard. Shows everyone has already seen get more play because everyone has already seen them, but no one goes out of their way to help people notice something they might have missed.

(Also, IIRC, I was never that into Fruba but like, isn't part of the thing that having a family, if it's like that one with their family politics and curse and stuff, can be as bad as not having one at all?)
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:00 am Reply with quote
I would think the Elric Brothers should have been on this list. They also are examples of anime or manga characters with a disabilities (Ed being a literal take on costing an arm and leg) who shined through.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:29 am Reply with quote
I was a bit surprised to not see any of the characters from Gundam: Iron-blooded Orphans in this list.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:06 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
I would think the Elric Brothers should have been on this list. They also are examples of anime or manga characters with a disabilities (Ed being a literal take on costing an arm and leg) who shined through.

Even though they qualify in the practical sense, they weren't actually orphans.
FukuchiChiisaia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:50 am Reply with quote
Triltaison wrote:
I rather love Judy from Daddy Long Legs, Conan from Future Boy Conan, Sarah from A Little Princess, and Remy from Nobody's Boy Remy.

Agree with this one. Sekai Meisaku Gekijou needs more attention.
This list certainly not the best. It only covers popular anime from the latest two decades of Heisei era.
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:41 am Reply with quote
Rin Kaga from Bunny Drop is probably the only anime orphan that I'd want to adopt.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Just Passing Through wrote:
Rin Kaga from Bunny Drop is probably the only anime orphan that I'd want to adopt.

She’s technically not an orphan since her mother is very much alive.
rob_krol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:01 pm Reply with quote
I see that is missed classic Candy from Candy Candy anime ,and Sebastian from Bella and Sebastian ,and Lag Seeing from Tegamibachi Smile
harminia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Is Rin really an orphan if his dad is still alive...?

also going to be a bit nitpicky here but I think this column needs a proof reader
Eddy564

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Awwww I’m glad most my precious boys made the list :3

Emma is also a worthy candidate so I’m glad she’s here too.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Asakura Hao becoming an orphan put him on a 1000 year path towards wiping out humanity.
Heishi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm gonna add Souma Ogami from KnM and Ken Washio from Gatchaman.
Gray Lensman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:

While they don't qualify in the truest sense of the word (Hohenheim is alive during the series) there is a character from this series who actually does - Roy Mustang.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Today my pick is Black Butler's Earl Ciel Phantomhive. And Sir Integra Fairbrook Wingates Hellsing. Might as well toss in Seras Victoria while I'm at it. Keep calm and carry on.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:43 am Reply with quote
I know that she's not a confirmed orphan as we're never given some crucial backstory information but Haruka Minami from Minami-ke deserves to be mentioned as she acts like a mother to her two younger sisters, Kana and Chiaki.

The puzzling thing is that whatever happened to the Minami parents must have happened when Chiaki was a baby, as one of the only times that Haruka even mentions their father, whom Chiaki has no memory of, Haruka says that he was like Kana's friend Fujioka (most non-Minami characters in Minami-ke only get a single name). Keep in mind that Haruka is actually only around 6 years older than Chiaki, who is her youngest sister. So, wouldn't that mean that Haruka has been acting like a parent to her sisters since she was only around 7 or 8? In an apartment in a modern Japanese city without any child protective service agencies getting involved.

Yeah, Minami-ke is a series that doesn't actually seem all that plausible if you think about it too hard.

Addendum: I suppose there's always the possibility that the barely-mentioned Minami father died or disappeared a decade before whatever it was that happened to the Minami sisters' never-mentioned-at-all-as-far-as-I-can-remember mother which left the three sisters living alone.

Last edited by Tenchi on Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:02 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3