• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2nd Fate/stay night Heaven's Feel Film's U.S. Screenings Earn US$420,595

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Digi_Michael

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:09 pm Reply with quote
A bunch of us here at RS saw it on Thursday night. I really enjoyed part 2 but for me, part 1 may have been a little better. Let's also give a huge shoutout to ufotable for their great animation. To me, their use of blurring on backgrounds is stunning.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:58 pm Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:
This is probably not the greatest place to ask this, but why the heck not:

I've never seen any of the Fate franchise, but I am interested in taking the plunge. Can anyone provide or point me to a rundown of how the various Fate anime titles are related? Is there an optimal order to watch them in?

Oh you poor F***ing soul you don't realize that's hell you're walking into.

Just kidding.
Now is probably a great time to get invested in the fate franchise since there are so many high-quality releases in the works.
I'll recommend the order TearfulFriend18 suggested.
The 2006 anime is definitely the weakest of the bunch and really shows its age but it steadily goes uphill from there but most this order conveys the information in almost the same order as the VN.
They do squeeze in some info from other routes here and there but I would guess that's because they had no guarantees they'ed get to adapt the other routes.

Lost butterfly definitely premiered at more theatres this time around since last time I tried to get a ticket to Presage Flower but it was sold out almost immediately and its only available theatre within reasonable range was about an hour away by car.
This time it was at a theatre only 15 minutes away.
Sadly the actual room they screened the movie in was one of their oldest and lowest quality ones.
Would have been great if they could have gotten one of the high quality ones although I suppose with Marvel still screening that wasn't going to happen.
Here's to hoping Spring Song will get more locations, more screentime and in better rooms.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:12 pm Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:
That's incomplete information, though. Presage Flower had two sets of screenings: sub screenings in Nov/Dec 2017 that Aniplex distributed, and dub screenings in June 2018 that Fathom distributed. Box Office Mojo only has the revenue data from the dub screenings. My guess is that the sub screenings were four-walled, so the revenue didn't have to be reported.

Ahh, that's right - I thought something seemed off about it. Still, I wonder how it'll still edge out the last if they do a dub screening series too.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:35 pm Reply with quote
To any newcomers interested, I would highly recommend starting with Fate/Zero. Then play the F/SN visual novel
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:48 pm Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:

I've never seen any of the Fate franchise, but I am interested in taking the plunge. Can anyone provide or point me to a rundown of how the various Fate anime titles are related? Is there an optimal order to watch them in?

There are three story paths making up the total of the Fate/Stay Night visual novel, all of which have anime adaptations: Fate/Stay Night (2006), Unlimited Blade Works (2014), and the three Heaven's Feel films (two of which have been released). Each route has its own diverging plot and a different focus, but each subsequent one builds off what's learned in the previous one. There's also a prequel called Fate/Zero that tells the story of the previous war.

People have very strong opinions on where to start, but for anime adaptations, as long as you start with either Fate/Stay Night (2006), Fate/Zero, or Fate/Stay Night: UBW, you'll be fine. I'd just watch some trailers and see what catches your interest honestly.

The Heaven's Feel films are pretty inaccessible without at least having seen UBW though.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Shinji Paradox wrote:
In the New York we had multiple viewings that night and I thought it was only for one showtime. I was actually a little late for the 7:00 viewing and up watching the 10:10. I hope we get at least a weekend for the Third chapter.

The first one showed on two different days, while this one was entirely just a one night ordeal, so I'm not sure if I'd anticipate more days for the third. Even with this one being more successful, maybe part of that is because of their one-night-only strategy?
omiya

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:55 am Reply with quote
How much of the Fate anime series watching is necessary to appreciate Carnival Phantasm? Very Happy
Mikasa_su_casa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:31 am Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:

My advice is to start with Unlimited Blade Works, then watch Presage Flower and Lost Butterfly. I think it's out of date to suggest watching Fate/Zero before the Heavens Feel movies since that anime spoils some of the original plot twists in the Heaven's Feel movies that are already out, so what's the point of watching Fate Zero before Lost Butterfly?
In fact, it might be best to not watch Fate Zero at all until after the third HF movie comes out in 2020, since F/Z was created in the context of the viewer being familiar with the entirety of Fate Stay Night.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:00 am Reply with quote
Thank you to everyone who replied, especially for the bit I quoted below. It's always nice to know what's mainline and what is a spinoff.
TearfulFriend18 wrote:
Also to note is that list is of the main Fate series, everything else like Apocrypha, Grand Order, Extra: Last Encore, those are all AU’s and spin-offs.

I don't have any interest in any of the visual novels. I don't mean to put them (or their fans) down, it's just that I'm just not really into VNs in general and I have enough things to occupy me on the computer as it is. I'm looking for something to watch only. Dated art styles don't bother me one bit, I have huge anime collection and very little of it is recent.

Is there a good source of info that lists the spinoffs and how exactly they fit into the big scheme of things?
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:29 am Reply with quote
You forgot to mention that Zero is a spin off as well.
I also disagree that the Studio Deen anime is not worth watching either.

If your not planning on going down the VN route, stick with the 3 arcs Fate(Deen), UBW, then Heavens Feel. And while Zero is a spin off its style heavily influences UBW and Heavens Feel. So Zero is probably worth a watch prior to UBW or HF.

It's been 15 years since I played the Fate Stay Night VN.. but all of the anime adaptions take some liberties.. not just Studio Deen.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Deen's version feels like a generic shounen/action series, which I find works as a great starting point to the franchise.and with tow heaven feels movies out and the cat out of the bag, regarding the spoiler, it's better to watch the fate series in the novel order, then watch zero.
Issac Sarrowtail

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:49 am Reply with quote
Naruto Guru wrote:
AkumaChef wrote:

I'd never seen anything Fate related either, and I decided to go see this movie because the trailer looked good. I thoroughly enjoyed it; possibly the best anime movie I've ever seen!

If you enjoyed that, The Garden of Sinners is worth a watch. It WILL be hard to find however.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:48 am Reply with quote
Issac Sarrowtail wrote:

If you enjoyed that, The Garden of Sinners is worth a watch. It WILL be hard to find however.

Agree 100% just be sure to watch it in it's correct order..
one3rd

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Issac Sarrowtail wrote:

Hard to find where, exactly? I'm pretty sure it's on at least one streaming platform and the Blu-ray set is in stock at RightStuf.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:08 pm Reply with quote
For me I started with the Studio Deen series, then Zero, then UBW.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3