• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One-Punch Man Season 2 Anime's New Video Previews JAM Project Song

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:13 am Reply with quote
Hmm, Genos looks off in this, like they've made him look slimmer?

PV did nothing for me, will still give this the 3 episode test. OPM wasn't a series where the story was one that I felt like following. The story and production is what got me to stick around, but if the production is going to be of lesser quality, likely I won't watch the whole season.
ChestPains

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:23 am Reply with quote
Everyone except Saitama and Fubuki look off model, with King and Genos faces looking like they just left Gakuen Handsome. The action looks okayish but the characters look terrible.

I expected disappointment, not an insult to the series. I would even forgive the off model if it looked half as fluid as S1 but it's obscenely stiff and constantly looks cheaper than fan animations made for free.

Ahhhhh, I miss when JC at least tried
Admiral Pizzaman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:35 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Are you sure about that one chief ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzmFKUDOUgw

Also, is this an out of season Aprils Fools joke ?
Nvm it's not out of season anymore.

Shocked

You can easily tell that the production of S1 was almost done and S2 looked like they just started making recently. SMH!

Seriously, I've never felt that disappointed in my entire life.
Aresef

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:08 am Reply with quote
At least we get another JAM Project banger. This time around, the "ONE PUNNNCH" scream is Ricardo Cruz's.
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:31 am Reply with quote
Nearly all of JC staff’s recent productions were disasters. The most recent “good” quality show I can think of coming from JC is Flying switch in 2016.
kgw

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:42 am Reply with quote
I think you're overreacting, I did not see anything that terrible. Let's just wait.
Ajc228

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:31 am Reply with quote
People who work in Japan that report on the animation industry have said that scheduling problems are to blame for this mess. More specifically, the amount of shows being produced in a season coupled with the way studios have projects lined up in advance contributes to lackluster animation. Theoretically, they could have waited to get the original director and studio back together but their schedules are booked so far in advance, that they would be unable to do it this year or even next. If people are upset about the way the animation looks they should blame capitalism not JC Staff. It’s very unlikely that this season will look anywhere near as good as the first season.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:53 am Reply with quote
Possibly even more disappointing than expected when they announced the change in studios. The announcement was last summer and this is all they could come up with for a trailer by now? I don't think there's a single cut of particularly impressive animation. Lots of black screens and static/panning shots though. Pretty unfortunate.
3rdImpakt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:28 pm Reply with quote
I know it hasn't aired yet, but we can gather a lot from this trailer...

Could this possibly be the most dissapointing second season of all time? I mean in comparison to the quality of the first. I'd really appreciate someone giving some examples of an anime as well produced and huge of a hit as the first season of OPM followed by a major let down poorly produced second season. Looking at this trailer, I can't think of one as bad off the top of my head.
Danny123100

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:35 pm Reply with quote
So, from watching this trailer it looks..."okay" UNTIL it gets to the minute mark. Once it gets there is when it starts feeling off. Genos' punch at like 1:09 doesn't feel like it's got any oomph, any impact. You look at season one and you can feel the impact in the strikes, you can get a good idea about how powerful those blows are.

When Genos fights Saitama in Season 1, you can tell how much power Genos is putting into his attacks. Seeing his punch in this...it just feels lack luster, weak, like all he did was stick his hand out hoping the person walks into his fist. Even when you look at Genos dodging those lasers, it doesn't feel or look like he's doing anything. It feels like he's just stationary. He's supposed to be moving and dodging lasers, yet it looks like he's just stationary at a laser light show "Oh, this is fun. Let's rave."

And also the ending. I am pretty sure Saitama is supposed to be jumping out of the building, why does it feel more like he straight up levitates out of the building in the end. It doesn't seem like he's jumping out at all. There needs to be more done to give that feeling that there's impact. It all looks, at least right now, completely weightless.

I'm still gonna probably watch it for a couple of episodes to see how it is, but honestly, right now it's not looking good. I'm really really REALLY hoping that whoever put this PV together just did a downright terrible job, and it's not actually gonna be as bad as it looks. Just once let my wishful thinking be right.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:17 am Reply with quote
HoboSoup wrote:
sim0n2170 wrote:
FlyGuySempai wrote:
Yeah, One Punch Man is a one and done. This completes the list for most disappointing follow up anime of the 2010s along with Attack On Titan, Dragon Ball, Berserk etc.
Clearly didn't watch Attack on Titan properly.

As someone who isn't even a fan of attack on titan, I can say from the good handful of scenes I've had people share with me from the new seasons, there's some really nice production involved with the series.

he's probably one of those that think the author is right wing after seeing out of context pics...
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:36 am Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:
Nearly all of JC staff’s recent productions were disasters. The most recent “good” quality show I can think of coming from JC is Flying switch in 2016.

I don’t think last summer’s Planet With and High Score Girl were disasters by any means, to put it lightly, and I think 2017’s Alice and Zoroku and Children of the Whales were pretty good too. I don’t think Amanchu’s two seasons could be called disasters either. While it could certainly be better, Index III isn’t bad either overall. There is definitely variation in their quality (based on the staff of the individual shows), but I’m worried they will be treated like A-1 in the community, with people latching on to the bad and pretending that represents the entirety of their work, while ignoring the good works made under their name (or perhaps not even knowing it was done there in the first place).

Yes, this second season is not on the same level as the first, but I will agree with kgw that people seem to be overreacting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2