Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Made in Abyss: Journey's Dawn


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Cardcaptor Takato



Joined: 27 Jan 2018
Posts: 1182
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Made in Abyss was one of my top favorite anime in 2017. I really got big into the series and even started reading the manga. I loved the Ghibli-esque character designs which I believe were actually done by a former Ghibli character designer. The story was so engrossing and the stark contrast between the lighter tone and cute character designs of the early episodes with the darker tone of the later episodes reminds me of Madoka but I feel like Made in Abyss did the stark contrast even stronger than Madoka. Made in Abyss is definitely a really special series and one of the best in modern fantasy anime.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
danpmss



Joined: 30 May 2015
Posts: 511
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Also still present in this compilation are a handful of scenes that caused some wariness about sexualization of the child characters during the series' original run.


*sigh*
They had the best oportunity to make this perfect by taking away those miserable short scenes while trimming down the content...

I think it would even make the movie more accessible for a bigger audience at that.

Being this the one thing I was hoping to see from this movie -given that the rest of the content is pretty great overall- I guess I'll be skipping seeing this compilation with people outside my otaku circle. Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MarshalBanana



Joined: 31 Aug 2014
Posts: 3348
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:27 pm Reply with quote
So it's skippable then, I'm sure the 4 minutes of new footage will appear on YouTube at some point. Hopefully the next film will have some new scenes and maybe redone scenes, even if that only means improved animation. Ideally it would be great to see something similar to what they did with the second Gurren Lagann film.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
rizuchan
Collector ExtraordinaireCollector Extraordinaire


Joined: 11 Mar 2007
Posts: 808
Location: Kansas
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:07 pm Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:
Being this the one thing I was hoping to see from this movie -given that the rest of the content is pretty great overall- I guess I'll be skipping seeing this compilation with people outside my otaku circle. Rolling Eyes


You know the weird thing is I have a couple very casual anime fan family members who caught interest in this show when they saw me watching bits of it, and neither of them were bothered by those scenes nearly as much as I was. I kind of wonder if it's because, as otaku, we're aware how many other otaku get off to that kind of thing. While my non-otaku husband, on the other hand, wasn't thinking about those scenes any more deeply than, "they're making jokes about being naked and naked people are funny" and "lol puberty".

I'm not saying this to defend the content or anything, I just found it interesting because I was totally prepared to say, "yeah, it's kinda uncomfortable in those parts, but the rest is really good," and it turned out to be completely a non-issue with them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
danpmss



Joined: 30 May 2015
Posts: 511
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:29 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
danpmss wrote:
Being this the one thing I was hoping to see from this movie -given that the rest of the content is pretty great overall- I guess I'll be skipping seeing this compilation with people outside my otaku circle. Rolling Eyes


You know the weird thing is I have a couple very casual anime fan family members who caught interest in this show when they saw me watching bits of it, and neither of them were bothered by those scenes nearly as much as I was. I kind of wonder if it's because, as otaku, we're aware how many other otaku get off to that kind of thing. While my non-otaku husband, on the other hand, wasn't thinking about those scenes any more deeply than, "they're making jokes about being naked and naked people are funny" and "lol puberty".

I'm not saying this to defend the content or anything, I just found it interesting because I was totally prepared to say, "yeah, it's kinda uncomfortable in those parts, but the rest is really good," and it turned out to be completely a non-issue with them.


I don't quite share the same experience at all, so, good on you for being able to get past those with your family without any problems. Must say however that, with husband/wife/partner who already was into any anime, is easy enough. After all, even if they are aware of the uncomfortable subject, they will rather not "nitpick" the random weird japanese thing on the title you took a like for, and instead try pass it by commenting something far more ingenuous not to read too much into it.

I know that happened quite some times in my experience, some with movies and TV series even, at times fairly and hilariously obvious that it was the case (and we just laugh it off awkwardly). It does screws any rewatchability in most cases even with them, I gotta say haha Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
El Hermano



Joined: 24 Feb 2019
Posts: 61
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:44 pm Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:
*sigh*
They had the best oportunity to make this perfect by taking away those miserable short scenes while trimming down the content...

I think it would even make the movie more accessible for a bigger audience at that.

Being this the one thing I was hoping to see from this movie -given that the rest of the content is pretty great overall- I guess I'll be skipping seeing this compilation with people outside my otaku circle. Rolling Eyes


So you're upset an anime didn't get censored? That's a new one. It's not a show's fault if you're too embarrassed or insecure to watch it with other people. That's a personal matter.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
danpmss



Joined: 30 May 2015
Posts: 511
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:36 pm Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
danpmss wrote:
*sigh*
They had the best oportunity to make this perfect by taking away those miserable short scenes while trimming down the content...

I think it would even make the movie more accessible for a bigger audience at that.

Being this the one thing I was hoping to see from this movie -given that the rest of the content is pretty great overall- I guess I'll be skipping seeing this compilation with people outside my otaku circle. Rolling Eyes


So you're upset an anime didn't get censored? That's a new one. It's not a show's fault if you're too embarrassed or insecure to watch it with other people. That's a personal matter.


Lmao, don't need to try making this about me with some random ad hominem bs. It's not me who is "embarrassed" or "insecure" about watching with other people (I watch quite a bit of really inappropriate anime titles with my friends whenever we want to), but instead me having experienced many times people getting some pretty strong aversion to a sort of content to the point of generalization when I want them to have the opposite experience with the anime I like.

The last thing I want is people getting turned off from otaku culture and, especially in this case, a great story, because of random fetish pandering the author felt the need of putting inside his story.

Or, let's put it like this... Do you think that you can put explicit fascism appraisal, or misogyny as a recurrent and seemingly acceptable display in a book/manga/whatever that doesn't really have anything to do with that, nowadays, and not have people complaining about the author just putting in there for his own need of showing that off to very small circle of people that reads him and appreciate that kind of content as much as he does (to the point of getting more and more extreme with the portrayal progressively, as it was the case with Made in Abyss's content) and don't mind getting some more, and whoever complains should just shut up and stop "being so easily offended and insecure about it", since it's very normal in their niche to have things like that (aka, having a /pol/ fanbase that don't give a damn if normies complain about their edginess and controversial opinion, and self-entitle themselves as the voice of true reason that sound far more societal exclusive than what their supposed "freedom of speech being endangered" outcry may suggest)?

If that's too much of a complicated example for you to draw a comparison from, I could simplify. But of course, even for the author, that's a personal matter, right? Wink

Some things are just better edited out if you want them to be accepted with a positive general consensus by a larger amount of the population, and not just to the circle/market you want to publish for. An adaptation in those instances can even do the job better than the original because of that, or do you think even among those who consider Stephen King's IT to be a masterpiece and their favorite book ever weren't happy to see the new movie completely cutting the spoiler[child orgy in the sewers]?


Last edited by danpmss on Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
meruru



Joined: 16 Jun 2009
Posts: 343
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Hard pass. I couldn't watch any cut of Made in Abyss where even a second of Ozen's screen time is cut.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kotomikun



Joined: 06 May 2013
Posts: 605
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:32 pm Reply with quote
It's disappointing they didn't cut any of the awkwardly sexual comic relief, though I feel like most of what was in the anime was on the level of "only offensive to Americans." That doesn't mean it's all totally fine and no one should be bothered by it, but it's important to keep in mind that the U.S. is the number-one most sexually paranoid developed country. The manga, however, is far more difficult to interpret in a charitable fashion, and needs a warning label of some sort... or, perhaps, some precision incineration.

Quote:
eye-popping features of Riko's bedroom

I don't remember anything interesting in there besides the functional electric chair, but maybe they pulled a Mami's Apartment on it and drew in a bunch of extra stuff.

meruru wrote:
I couldn't watch any cut of Made in Abyss where even a second of Ozen's screen time is cut.

They didn't necessarily cut much--the survival training segment had almost no Ozen in it to begin with, that was the whole point, she wanted to see if they had any chance of surviving the trip on their own. I'm also still unclear on why some of this show's fans are so incredibly devoted to Ozen, but I feel like I wouldn't like the answer to that question.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
casenumber00



Joined: 05 Feb 2011
Posts: 79
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:07 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
So it's skippable then, I'm sure the 4 minutes of new footage will appear on YouTube at some point. Hopefully the next film will have some new scenes and maybe redone scenes, even if that only means improved animation. Ideally it would be great to see something similar to what they did with the second Gurren Lagann film.


It is all but certain to everyone that the 3rd movie will cover the Bondrewd chapters. We have seen this set up before from anime movies before.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Key
Moderator


Joined: 03 Nov 2003
Posts: 15693
Location: Indianapolis, IN (formerly Mimiho Valley)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:00 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Quote:
eye-popping features of Riko's bedroom

I don't remember anything interesting in there besides the functional electric chair, but maybe they pulled a Mami's Apartment on it and drew in a bunch of extra stuff.

The fact that the walls of the rather high room were lined with torture implements, maybe?

And that was in the original stream of the TV series, as I distinctly remember that making an impression on me when I first saw the first episode.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cardcaptor Takato



Joined: 27 Jan 2018
Posts: 1182
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:49 am Reply with quote
I don't recall if this was mentioned in the anime, but in the manga they said Riko got the torture chamber as her bedroom because she was always getting into trouble.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ZanathKariashi



Joined: 02 Jun 2014
Posts: 10
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:16 pm Reply with quote
hopefully they'll fix movie 2 to have the full hot-springs scene this time (even if they have to use a hair-bra again or some convenient steam).

By removing the actual pay off of it (Riko FINALLY seeing Reg as a person and not just a machine and getting embarrassed and covering up, when it finally clicks what is happening), it makes all the nudity up to that point pointless since that pay off and change in their dynamic never comes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nordhmmer



Joined: 11 Feb 2017
Posts: 658
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:56 pm Reply with quote
There is a serious disconnect here.....Made in Abyss is a dark,twisted,body horror story- that's the truth of it.
--------------------------------------------
Heavy spoiler

spoiler[ A story where the dead offspring-of an always pregnant underage,transformed, girl-are consumed for food is freaking twisted ]

-------------------------------------------

The story is twisted and should not be portrayed nor assumed to be anything else.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
meruru



Joined: 16 Jun 2009
Posts: 343
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:58 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:

meruru wrote:
I couldn't watch any cut of Made in Abyss where even a second of Ozen's screen time is cut.

They didn't necessarily cut much--the survival training segment had almost no Ozen in it to begin with, that was the whole point, she wanted to see if they had any chance of surviving the trip on their own. I'm also still unclear on why some of this show's fans are so incredibly devoted to Ozen, but I feel like I wouldn't like the answer to that question.


I meant that mostly as a joke, but I do legit really like Ozen and had no idea she has a particularly large fan following, though I can't say I'm surprised. I like her just because she's weird and creepy, and in a way that isn't common to female characters, and doesn't feel like the author's trying too hard. I love the performance her Japanese VA did for her too. It really took the character to eleven, making her even more weird. I just like that she's so unique, I guess.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group