• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Made in Abyss: Journey's Dawn

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:40 pm Reply with quote
It just occurred to me that Made in Abyss is actually a more faithful adaptation of the Strugatskys' Roadside Picnic than Tarkovsky's Stalker was. At least as far as it's gotten in animated form, I haven't read the manga.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There are a few places where the story flow makes it obvious that some details have been cut – Riko and Reg's survival training has been dramatically stripped down, for instance

That's the one that happen on the 2nd floor? I'm surprised they even kept it, it serves no purpose and could have been remove without any problem.
Scalfin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:38 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
danpmss wrote:
Being this the one thing I was hoping to see from this movie -given that the rest of the content is pretty great overall- I guess I'll be skipping seeing this compilation with people outside my otaku circle. Rolling Eyes

You know the weird thing is I have a couple very casual anime fan family members who caught interest in this show when they saw me watching bits of it, and neither of them were bothered by those scenes nearly as much as I was. I kind of wonder if it's because, as otaku, we're aware how many other otaku get off to that kind of thing. While my non-otaku husband, on the other hand, wasn't thinking about those scenes any more deeply than, "they're making jokes about being naked and naked people are funny" and "lol puberty".

I'm not saying this to defend the content or anything, I just found it interesting because I was totally prepared to say, "yeah, it's kinda uncomfortable in those parts, but the rest is really good," and it turned out to be completely a non-issue with them.

I think a large part of it is that we know how much more of it there is in the manga is a very shoehorned-in-fanservice way.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:09 pm Reply with quote
When I watched the initial broadcast of this series I'll admit that I wasn't expecting the sexual overtones. But it never really bothered me. Honestly, I thought it was funny because it was so unexpected. I mean, my favorite manga is Dragon Ball since and it's way more sexually explicit than Made in Abyss. Frankly I found the violence and body horror to be far more shocking than Reg getting an implied boner.

But something else crossed my mind during my initial viewing. I was reminded about Stephen King's reaction to the criticism he got for the sex scene in the book, It. He said that people always question what he was thinking when he wrote that scene but no one ever questions the horrific violent things that happen to the kids. I think this is where culture clashes. In North America we tend to shy away from sex while embracing violence.
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:03 am Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:
When I watched the initial broadcast of this series I'll admit that I wasn't expecting the sexual overtones. But it never really bothered me. Honestly, I thought it was funny because it was so unexpected. I mean, my favorite manga is Dragon Ball since and it's way more sexually explicit than Made in Abyss. Frankly I found the violence and body horror to be far more shocking than Reg getting an implied boner.

But something else crossed my mind during my initial viewing. I was reminded about Stephen King's reaction to the criticism he got for the sex scene in the book, It. He said that people always question what he was thinking when he wrote that scene but no one ever questions the horrific violent things that happen to the kids. I think this is where culture clashes. In North America we tend to shy away from sex while embracing violence.

It's more about necessary versus unnecessary. You can strip out literally every sex thing in the story and it would be 100% identical, if you strip out all the violence it became about kid taking a walk in the wood.

If the kid sex stuff was a part of the story and the show would do something interesting with it it'd be just fine.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2