• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Did That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime Peak Too Early?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phantowhite

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:09 pm Reply with quote
as much as i love this series even i have to admit after the whole milim arc, things started to go south pretty fast. the biggest problem probably has to be pacing. there were so many important details and interactions that got skipped or outright changed for little to no reason. a lot more political things happened during the final arc that i'm just baffled they decided to leave out. i'm not sure why they didn't show how much work rimuru actually put in to figuring out how to save the kids. i'm really not sure why they made the whole chloe twist that obvious since it was definitely a lot harder to figure out in the novel. granted there is still some things about that twist that haven't been completely given away but it was definitely a little too on the nose with the vague flashbacks and veldora's reactions.

well hopefully season 2 doesn't have this same problem. as long as they take it slow like they did at the beginning things would be fine.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:20 pm Reply with quote
ATastySub wrote:
Also want to clarify that I don't dislike isekai. I dislike lazy storytelling and boring power fantasies, which isekai falls into much easier than a lot of things by its nature. If the person being from outside the established universe exists for no reason other than to be inherently superior then it's probably not something I'm too interested in. Cour one of slime tip toed around this so I found it alright, but as I said in the column it quickly abandoned any interesting pretext in favor of rapid fire poorly done cliches.
This is also not to say having an OP protagonist is an instant fault. ONE has staked a pretty successful career out of them with Saitama and Mob, but the key to those stories is the emotional feelings of everyone involved instead of simple showboating. Those not being isekai is kind of irrelevant because there's no reason an isekai story couldn't do the same, as isekai has a lot of different ways it can go and to use it as a palette swap OP trip seems like a waste. I mean Inuyasha and Fushigi Yugi would be pretty awful if their protagonists simply annihilated every meaningful encounter, and things like The Devil is a Part Timer or Dragon Maid successfully make it work by reversing the worlds and what it means to be Fantasy OP in a mundane one. Restaurant to Another World simply wanted a low stakes pretext for some food and fantasy and it succeeds at that!
So to reiterate I don't have some sort of an inherent bias against isekai. If you want to accuse me of anything then I have a problem with lazy power fantasies, whether they're isekai or not.

Yeah, I should have been more specific and not conflated isekai with power fantasies, though many (but not all) modern isekai fit into both categories. Again, nothing wrong with not liking that kind of story, but I disagree with the idea that they are inherently boring or lazy or bad. I think it can be done in ways that are engaging and ways that are not, and I think the differences in reception between shows like this or Overlord and shows like Smartphone or Ragnarok bear that out. Look, we can only truly evaluate a show how we personally experience it, and I don't think anyone ought to expect otherwise, but we need to be aware of this. Isekai was not the right word, but I still believe that, fundamentally, our difference of opinion on this show comes down to you not liking this kind of story and me feeling differently. I do agree on Restaurant to Another World, and I think it used the other world premise better than Isekai Izakaya, which was more late Middle Ages/Renaissance Europe than a fantasy world.

Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
^^Keep telling it like it is. It's been mighty frustrating to have been saying the same since January only to be criticized that the show is just wonderful as it is, how dare you find fault. If you ask me, the problems have been glaringly obvious from the beginning to the point that despite loving the first half, I only kept watching to see if it could present even one more interesting story. The last arc looked to be that but nope, Rimuru the Blue Easy Button had that covered too...

To tie into what I had said above, we can only truly evaluate a show as we ourselves experience it. While people ought to be more respectful of the opinion of those with dissenting opinions on a popular show (or an unpopular show, for that matter), I think that requires that we in turn abjure any claim that our opinion is the only correct or true one, and to realize that what is a problem for us is not necessarily a problem for others, and it isn't so much that those who have a different opinion are failing to see or acknowledge the "truth", but rather they and you see things differently.
Cat's Tuxedo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:37 am Reply with quote
"Did That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime Peak Too Early?"

That there is certainly a headline.
trilaan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:18 pm Reply with quote
This series really flips my fandom switches, taken to another world, changed into a non-human creature, gender bending and others. I love it...in novel and manga form, I merely really enjoy this adaptation so far, clearly not because It's failing me in what it shows but in what it doesn't show. They skipped so much in minor and major development and I can't fathom why and it's really annoying to me. Still, I can't get behind some of the things the article participants say I just hope that season two does better in the storytelling and, yes, I mean not skipping stuff and doing a more direct adaptation. That's what I like for my more beloved titles.

To at least one of the article points, one reason my favorite isekai is the old OVA series El-Hazard: The Magnificent World is how the character powers are handled, especially for the most powerful one whose power only works if he doesn't do certain things. I do think a limiter can be used exceptionally well and be very enhancing to a story but I love an OP protagonist, without limitations, too. Every now and then it's good to feel unstoppable.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:56 am Reply with quote
re: overpowered protagonists

While I do think that Rimuru is pretty overpowered and thats not necessarily my favorite thing for a show to do, I don't think that's actually the main problem (for me) with Rimuru's powers in this show. I can accept a very powerful protagonist, even one who clearly outmatches most of their foes, if they have an interesting power that I understand. Then fight scenes can be less "will they win" (and let's be honest, 99% of anime fight scenes will be won by the protagonist), and more "what interesting way will they use their powers to win this time, and can I guess what it is before it happens?"

The big issue with Rimuru is that not only are his powers crazy powerful, they are completely nebulous and seem to be changed or expanded on a whim just so that he can crush his latest challenger. This is part of why I think the first couple of episodes were actually the best part of the show, because when he was just a slime with a couple of well-defined powers, we could follow along with his challenges and guess how he's use his couple of key capabilities to overcome each obstacle. Seeing him explore his own powers and run up against their limits was also entertaining, for example when he passed out from handing out too many names.

All that stuff was fun precisely because we could follow along and even speculate on further ways to use and combine his powers, and because of that audience knowledge Rimuru felt more "fair" in power level even though he was playing on easy mode from episode 1. Since that time, the show has pretty much dropped the pretense on letting us know how his powers work or even really how many powers he has at all, so each fight scene is just him smirking and annihilating some foe with 0 peril or interest using abilities we have no way to follow along with, and that feels a lot less engaging (again, IMO).

tl;dr: a writer I really like says that "An author's ability to solve conflict with magic is DIRECTLY PROPORTIONAL to how well the reader understands said magic. ... Otherwise, the magic can constitute a deus ex machina." To me, that's a bigger problem with Rimuru as an engaging character than his sheer power level.
Hal14

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:56 am Reply with quote
steelmirror wrote:

tl;dr: a writer I really like says that "An author's ability to solve conflict with magic is DIRECTLY PROPORTIONAL to how well the reader understands said magic. ... Otherwise, the magic can constitute a deus ex machina." To me, that's a bigger problem with Rimuru as an engaging character than his sheer power level.

Yeah, Brandon Sanderson is great
MesousaGaby

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Newsflash: Lost Song is still a freaking great fantasy anime without having to go down dumb down Isekai boulevard.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:46 pm Reply with quote
problem i see is (as guy who was introduced to Rimuru from the manga vs light novels) is that the run isn't over, were reaching the filler part of it. As far i can read, the anime needed to pick up it's own storyline once it got to defeat of the Demon lord's hog. They should created new arch to wrap up the story, because story now becoming random stories until author does his end game moment, where Rimuru has to deal with the world's bigger issues, like other Demons who ultimately he going have to contend with and freeing his dragon in him.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2