• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Adds Evangelion Anime Worldwide on June 21

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Levonr

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:23 am Reply with quote
I got around to watching the new Netflix video. Anime hyper Music is so bad. Is there like some license issue with using music from the anime? FUNimation usually does it as well. Its like they don't have permission to use music from the show.

Steve Minecraft wrote:

I never watched the show dubbed, I originally saw it subbed, but I looked into the dub and it's pretty mediocre from the clips I saw. A modern dub would totally be welcome to new viewers, especially a big company like Netflix who probably have higher standards than a small dubbing company in the 90s.

Yeah its not the worst dub ever made, but still a rough 90's dub that I don't think holds up compared to modern dubs or even later ADV dubs. I think this anime was not something ADV at the time was prepared for. The ADR director said they were still learning how to dub a long series and that he wished he did the dub later when he had more experience. One of the actors even claims that fansubs were used to write the dub script(the early episodes anyway) and that the script writer hadn't fully seen the show and didn't really have a full understanding of the story or characters. He also said the actors didn't listen to the Japanese which is why sometimes their performances are very different from the original. ADV at the time was not used to a long complex script like this, at the time they were used to mostly simply action or fanservice OVA's.

https://dubbing.fandom.com/wiki/Neon_Genesis_Evangelion
"Commentary for the English dub will often make reference to it being made on a tight budget, involved renting out space to do recordings with substandard equipment, and a good portion of the cast was played by members of the production team."
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:48 am Reply with quote
Netflix never have any kind of fanfare for their dubs, you will either find out who is in it by either reading the credits or one of the VAs announcing it if there NDA expires in time.
FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:42 am Reply with quote
My only sadness with the Eva redub is I feel like Netflix tossed to it to Bang Zoom or similar and they got their usual actors to do it. Which isn't to insult those people, they're plenty talented and I've loved them in many projects, but I liked how Eva's dub stood out from the rest. (And yes, I know that for the time it did not cast-wise, but how many of those shows have stayed as relevant as Eva has?) The Japanese cast is still phenomenal though, so if anyone has discomfort watching Eva with a new English dub, the Japanese version is always there.

Some people were speculating that they'd opt for a big-name cast due to how important Eva is, but I think that they forget that it's still an indie title. I don't believe Netflix would be taking a show over 20 years old and attempt to increase it's mainstream appeal at all.

Anyways, this was a mess. We have a date, I guess, but I can still watch Eva on my old DVDs, or hell, my imported blu-rays, so I don't particularly care for a date. If the dub was what you wanted to me to be excited for, preview it. If you wanted to hype up the picture quality, that would've been nice to see as well.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:47 am Reply with quote
It seems that Netflix will re-dub the series for all regions (except Japan, obviously). I just hope that Shinji's latin-american voice actor still voices him, he's the only actor that hasn't been replaced in the different dubs of the series (Evangelion was dubbed twice here), and he reprised his role in the Rebuild movies (the movies had a mix of actors from the first and second dubs, as well as new voices). Interestingly, Rei's original voice actress in spanish said that the new dub was in good hands.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:03 am Reply with quote
GNPixie wrote:
I felt like the original dub aged incredibly poorly, especially come the movies and those last few episodes so I'm all for a new dub with a completely new cast with (hopefully) better scripting.

This is the first big show that was popular that had a US dub that's getting recasted, right? It's kind of amusing that it took that long, given Canada's had several complete redubs over the years, even ones that hit mid-season. Derek Stephen Prince doing a Matt Hill impression is something that needs to be seen.

Dragon Ball Z had a recast. IIRC, something like the initial dub was done by Pioneer in partnership with Saban for first run syndication (and cut in a number of places, decreasing the episode count), was canceled, picked up by Cartoon Network, became popular enough on Cartoon Network they decided to pick up the rest of it, but this time through Funimation. For a number of years as they reran the series they just switched voices. At some point Pioneer lost the rights to the first 50-60 episodes, and Funimation redubbed them.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:10 am Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
Interestingly, Rei's original voice actress in spanish said that the new dub was in good hands.

How long ago did she say this?

I ask because Amanda Winn Lee said the exact same thing about the English dub back in December and as we found out yesterday (with more details from her and Tiffany Grant), it didn't happen.
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:02 am Reply with quote
Given it seems the show is getting re-dubbed in every applicable language, I think it's clear the Japanese owners want a fresh start with productions they've directly supervised. Evangelion is a prestige brand. I can see them being very particular about how the show is presented internationally. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they force Funimation to re-do (heh) 3.0's dub?

Amanda Winn-Lee said the original actors weren't allowed to re-audition, but Tiffany Grant claims she did. Though, she implies that may have just been lip service. edit: Amanda later Tweeted that she did an audition, but only after they started making noise on social media.

John Thacker wrote:
Dragon Ball Z had a recast. IIRC, something like the initial dub was done by Pioneer in partnership with Saban for first run syndication (and cut in a number of places, decreasing the episode count), was canceled, picked up by Cartoon Network, became popular enough on Cartoon Network they decided to pick up the rest of it, but this time through Funimation. For a number of years as they reran the series they just switched voices. At some point Pioneer lost the rights to the first 50-60 episodes, and Funimation redubbed them.

That dub was actually another Canadian dub. It was the first (though, far from the last) time Funimation kicked a Canadian cast to the curb. Dragon Ball is a mess, so the majority of those actors later got chances to reprise the characters in alternate dubs of Z and Kai. Unfortunately, it looks like Bang Zoom snatched the ability for them to do Super beyond some cameos in Funimation's dub.

Last edited by Primus on Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:57 am; edited 4 times in total
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:03 am Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
It seems that Netflix will re-dub the series for all regions (except Japan, obviously). I just hope that Shinji's latin-american voice actor still voices him, he's the only actor that hasn't been replaced in the different dubs of the series (Evangelion was dubbed twice here), and he reprised his role in the Rebuild movies (the movies had a mix of actors from the first and second dubs, as well as new voices). Interestingly, Rei's original voice actress in spanish said that the new dub was in good hands.

it's going to get a third dub in my country as well,though the two previous dubs actually retained most of the cast(the only major recasts in the second dub were Misato,Ritsuko,Kaji,Hyuga,Hikari,Keel and Fuyutsuki).
The first dub is pretty special to me,especially when all of the kids were voiced by actual kids(imagine an actual 14 year old girl trying to voice a character like Asuka,and she was perfect).Sure,they were obviously no longer kids when they returned for the second dub and the Rebuild movies but they can still pull off well,so I hope they return for the third dub(and,for the first time,finally voicing End of Eva.).
I'm not stranger to this happening,though.Akira was dubbed THREE times in my country as well,Saint Seiya and Yu Yu Hakusho were both dubbed twice each(with 95% of the cast being kept for their redubs.).
Macross was dubbed twice(with a REALLY bizarre situation where both the original Macross and Robotech were dubbed in the same studio and in the same period,with many of the same VAs playing different characters in both versions.Only Misa's VA was the same in both versions.)and it's Do You Remember Love movie got dubbed twice as well(and both with completely different casts from both Macross and Robotech dubs.Yeah,it's a mess)
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:14 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they force Funimation to re-do (heh) 3.0's dub?

Yeah and they forced them to include a second set of subtitles originally from the theatrical showings that were translated by someone who represented Khara.

Last edited by NJ_ on Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:17 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Silver Kirin wrote:
Interestingly, Rei's original voice actress in spanish said that the new dub was in good hands.

How long ago did she say this?

I ask because Amanda Winn Lee said the exact same thing about the English dub back in December and as we found out yesterday (with more details from her and Tiffany Grant), it didn't happen.

Rei's latin-american voice actress, Circe Luna, posted a picture on FaceBook on the 20th of December last year that said "Good news for Evangelion fans". Most fans assumed she was going to voice Rei again in Netflix's dub. Circe voiced Rei in the original spanish dub from the late 90s and in Rebuild of Evangelion 1.11 and 2.22, but but not in 3.33.
I think it depends more on the dubbing studio if some voice actors are going to reprise their roles, for example in the spanish trailer for the new Saint Seiya show some characters are still voiced by their original voice actors, also in the Death Note movie Ryuk was voiced by his original voice actor, the same thing happened with Fullmetal Alchemist and Alphonse.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Man, they are doing everything they can to make me not want to watch this
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:37 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I am fine with the June drop. My real concern with Netflix having Evangelion is the prospect of never seeing the series and End of Evangelion on localized Blu-rays.

staffer said they got the license specifically because they leave out the home video rights. In fact, they never get them. Japan wants to seperate the home video rights and charge a premium for that.

Despite what Justin mentioned about demanding exclusivity (which doesn't explain why Japan still airs them on TV nor get them on blurays quickly after) there's lots of counter-proof that where Netflix licenses do get US blurays by someone else. I listed several titles in that thread. Since this is mecha, I just remembered another Netflix license: Kuromukuro -- streamed in 2016, released by Pony Canyon, which I bought, in 2017, a year later.

It's simply more likely the other reason mentioned rather than exclusivity, that licensees are reluctant to get a show with only home video rights but not streaming rights and they don't want to pay a premium just for licensing the blurays.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Looks like I’ll be watching it twice this year.
Once disc and once streaming.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:58 pm Reply with quote
It's great we'll be getting a new English dub. Some of the old cast, particularly in some key roles, couldn't act to save their lives. But you also have to blame the direction.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:23 pm Reply with quote
The ADV dub is a bit rough around the edges compared to modern English dubs, but I think it was pretty decent for the time period it came out in, especially when you compare it to a lot of other English dubs from back then and I feel like the performances generally improved by the time they got to the later episodes and the End of Eva movie. But I also love the Japanese version and I'm not like super passionate about the ADV dub like a lot of it's fans are. I do think the big reason for the redub is it does sound like Studio Khara wants their own fresh studio approved dub across the board. I also wonder how much the conflicts between ADV and Gainax over the rights to the live action movie might play in Khara's decision to redub it? If there's still a lot of bad blood between ADV and Anno, while it's frustrating for the original cast, I can understand their hesitance to use the original dub and why they want their own studio approved cast.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3