• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Netflix's Knights of the Zodiac: Saint Seiya CG Anime Debuts Worldwide on July 19

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mewzard

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, if you want to go bold on the change, make Seiya a girl. Have the protagonist be female.

But I'm not bothered either way, I'm just glad to see an attempt at one of my favorite series done in the modern age. I do hope we get a second season with the Gold Saints.

I've got a lost of trust with Netflix on these adaptations. Castlevania, She-Ra, I'm more than willing to give them a shot to give me something enjoyable.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Netflix bats about 50/50 on these adaptation. Sometimes you get Devilman Crybaby, sometimes you get Voltron Legendary Discourse. So, wait and see.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:33 pm Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:

The other option is to not change anything, because it's not an issue. This is why American adaptions of Japanese anime always fail. They have this urge to fix what isn't broken.

Kind of how like japanese animes based off of manga or other things tend to change things from the source material or add things that weren't in the source material?

Yet people like those adaptations anyway?
Nodz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:54 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
gloverrandal wrote:

The other option is to not change anything, because it's not an issue. This is why American adaptions of Japanese anime always fail. They have this urge to fix what isn't broken.

Kind of how like japanese animes based off of manga or other things tend to change things from the source material or add things that weren't in the source material?

Yet people like those adaptations anyway?

That's completely different. Anime adaptations generally change minor stuff or add filler characters and storyline to avoid being too close to the manga. But they never change the gender or the color of characters from a manga.

American adaptations of Death Note or Dragon Ball had lots of change that were not necessary, begining with the personality of their protagonists.
Mewzard

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Nodz wrote:
That's completely different. Anime adaptations generally change minor stuff or add filler characters and storyline to avoid being too close to the manga. But they never change the gender or the color of characters from a manga.

That is factually inaccurate. For the example of gender changing, Sailor Moon's Sailor Starlights are a major example of an anime adaptation changing gender.

As for color consistency with manga designs, that one is ridiculously common. Saint Seiya alone is filled to the brim with color changes from manga to anime (hair color, armor color, you name it).

Even if we skip all other variants of color and just focus on skin color, the Pegasus Black Saint has visually darker skin than Seiya (the bio in volume 13 lists his birthplace as Israel), but in the anime, their skintones aren't really any different.

Saint Seiya's characters are actually from a wide variety of cultures (not only Japan and Europe, but Africa, South America, Mexico, the Middle East, Tibet, etc).
Nodz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Mewzard wrote:
Nodz wrote:

That is factually inaccurate. For the example of gender changing, Sailor Moon's Sailor Starlights are a major example of an anime adaptation changing gender.

As for color consistency with manga designs, that one is ridiculously common. Saint Seiya alone is filled to the brim with color changes from manga to anime (hair color, armor color, you name it).

Even if we skip all other variants of color and just focus on skin color, the Pegasus Black Saint has visually darker skin than Seiya (the bio in volume 13 lists his birthplace as Israel), but in the anime, their skintones aren't really any different.

Saint Seiya's characters are actually from a wide variety of cultures (not only Japan and Europe, but Africa, South America, Mexico, the Middle East, Tibet, etc).

Once again, totally different stuff. The Starlights gender was an awkward stuff because they were female soldiers who came and transform into civil males to hide their identity. In the manga, their gender is kinda ambiguous, even if it was confirmed they were females posing as males. But it was a sensitive matter from the star. It's not liked they made Haruka a male and have a male Sailor Senshi.

And about Saint Seiya or other anime, skin complexion is not a simple matter in manga. Remember Sailor Pluto in Sailor Moon, she had lots of different shades in the manga pages and in Takeushi color illustrations. Same for Seiya in Saint Seiya: his skin or hair color is not always consistent.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:46 am Reply with quote
Nodz wrote:
That's completely different. Anime adaptations generally change minor stuff

.....They also change major things too remember the first Fullmetal Alchemist anime or the Akira movie?

Nodz wrote:
or add filler characters and storyline to avoid being too close to the manga. But they never change the gender or the color of characters from a manga.

Okay but this wasn't my point though. I was pointing out the blatantly double standards being made in that post. It's weird to complain about American adaptations making changes from the source material of a work when Japan does the exact same thing when adapting works to other mediums which can be "major" and "minor".

Nodz wrote:

American adaptations of Death Note or Dragon Ball had lots of change that were not necessary, begining with the personality of their protagonists.

Which is interesting since I remember very well that the biggest complaint about Evolution and Death Note had nothing to do with the changing of "personalities".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2