• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Multiple Voice Actors Cancel Kameha Con Appearances Amid Vic Mignogna Controversy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:30 am Reply with quote
Lady Multi wrote:

Then you agree not having the missing VAs that have canceled makes no difference to the convention. Thanks. Funny you said different just prior comment about their cancellation about how not having such "beloved characters" and "popular characters" is so bad.

To the TA of DBZSuper, they don't care which Bulma or Vegeta they meet. But not being able to meet Broly, whooo boy.

The difference is those VA’s actually gives a voice to those characters even if there are multiple VA’s doing the same character plus they actually play the character for long periods of times.

Now Broly, it’s like he doesn’t have a VA at all. Like it’s almost nothing. Vic doesn’t offer anything much to the character that will be missed unless you just like screaming & even the it’s only on occasion. .
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:40 am Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:

Now Broly, it’s like he doesn’t have a VA at all. Like it’s almost nothing. Vic doesn’t offer anything much to the character that will be missed unless you just like screaming & even the it’s only on occasion. .

As I have said, the target audience of Dragon Ball Z Super doesn't care. These 10 year olds want to meet Broly's VA because they like Broly. Same as when little kids go to Disney and meet the costume's characters.

They don't care because for a little kid, the target audience of this kid's show, the actor is the character.

Like with the OG Power Rangers. Fans never cared about them as "a person" but as the character they played. People LOVED the Green Ranger when he first debuted but the fans that met the actor (Jason David Frank) knew him only as "Tommy".. And for an entire generation he WAS Tommy, the Green Ranger.

Vic IS Broly and is the only one that will be there at that convention to meet with fans of said character and his existing fan base from other media.
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:38 am Reply with quote
timmy7596 wrote:
They revoked the invite because of all this initial drama but when the TRUTH piles up and all these "claims" come out with no evidence backing them and its just transparent words it means nothing.

Well, one would think that if this is truly the case, then there should be some more cons coming out and announcing they have gone back on their original cancellation of Vic's appearance. Have there been some I've missed? Or are we waiting, and KamehaCon is the first one to do this?
ECW28

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:08 am Reply with quote
As a fan of both Monica and Vic, it’s hard for me seeing this. What Vic did was wrong. Simple as that. But we fans should not be getting involved in THEIR battle. It’s not our battle. So the attacking of people on both sides, as well as the attacking of the VA’s has got to stop. We aren’t cavemen people, we don’t fight for the sake of fighting, which is literally what everyone picking sides is doing
Steve Minecraft

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:08 am Reply with quote
Lady Multi wrote:
As I have said, the target audience of Dragon Ball Z Super doesn't care. These 10 year olds want to meet Broly's VA because they like Broly. Same as when little kids go to Disney and meet the costume's characters.

They don't care because for a little kid, the target audience of this kid's show, the actor is the character.

Like with the OG Power Rangers. Fans never cared about them as "a person" but as the character they played. People LOVED the Green Ranger when he first debuted but the fans that met the actor (Jason David Frank) knew him only as "Tommy".. And for an entire generation he WAS Tommy, the Green Ranger.

Vic IS Broly and is the only one that will be there at that convention to meet with fans of said character and his existing fan base from other media..

I'm gonna go ahead and disagree with this. Vic is one of the only VAs where people go to meet Vic Mignogna and not his characters. Well, ok, his characters too but I mean like, as you said, a lot of voice actors's fans only like actors for their character. But then you hear stories of fans writing letters to him or going up to him at his panel and talk to him about how they're being bullied or they're contemplating suicide and he takes the time to write back or talk to them and help them with their issues and be there for them. I think he is definitely one of the few VAs where people actually like him as a person and not just who he voices. The fact he still has tens of thousands of supporters during all this as well as being one of the only VAs to have an actual fanclub at least attests to the good will he built up with his fanbase over the years.

I think KamehaCon will be fine though. I haven't been to a convention in a few years but Vic's panels and tables always had a huge turnout compared to other VAs. I'm sure his fanbase can make up for any cancellations.
Aresef

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:36 am Reply with quote
Steve Minecraft wrote:

I'm gonna go ahead and disagree with this. Vic is one of the only VAs where people go to meet Vic Mignogna and not his characters. Well, ok, his characters too but I mean like, as you said, a lot of voice actors's fans only like actors for their character. But then you hear stories of fans writing letters to him or going up to him at his panel and talk to him about how they're being bullied or they're contemplating suicide and he takes the time to write back or talk to them and help them with their issues and be there for them. I think he is definitely one of the few VAs where people actually like him as a person and not just who he voices. The fact he still has tens of thousands of supporters during all this as well as being one of the only VAs to have an actual fanclub at least attests to the good will he built up with his fanbase over the years.

I think KamehaCon will be fine though. I haven't been to a convention in a few years but Vic's panels and tables always had a huge turnout compared to other VAs. I'm sure his fanbase can make up for any cancellations.

And his fan club is a huge problem, as has been explored in reporting on Mignogna’s misdeeds. The fan club also provides him a built-in group of sycophants peers might not. And just because some people had positive experiences with him doesn’t mean everybody else did as well. So the question becomes how do you do right by those people?
TexZero

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:47 am Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
So the question becomes how do you do right by those people?

You let the adults adult ?

It's a convention, it's not like they can't possible schedule it so that the fans can visit whichever panels they wish while keeping the Panelist whom don't wish to be around eachother apart.

Last i looked the convention spans a few days, it's not out of the realm of possiblity to have day 1-2 have the multi-guest panels without vic and day 3 contain vic.

But whatever, this story is just another case of tribalism and how bad it is.
Aresef

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:09 am Reply with quote
If you financially support a convention that even invites him to start with, much less engaging in these shenanigans, you’re saying with your money that what Vic did still makes him a fine guy to have around young fans, and around his former peers. Or you’re saying that his anime work outweighs what he did—the Michael Jackson defense, if you will.
TexZero

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:32 am Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
If you financially support a convention that even invites him to start with, much less engaging in these shenanigans, you’re saying with your money that what Vic did still makes him a fine guy to have around young fans, and around his former peers. Or you’re saying that his anime work outweighs what he did—the Michael Jackson defense, if you will.

I'm sorry but no.

Who do you think you are to ascribe your personal beliefs onto others, let alone try to pretend you understand anyone's rationale for spending money ?

This is the innane tribalism i was speaking.

Maybe just maybe people are going to the con regardless of who shows up becuase its a Dragonball convention and they want to showcase they like and support the franchise regardless of a bad apple. You know because it's not like Vic is somehow the total sum of the franchise.

This is no different than people who to this day still buy Rurouni Kenshin merchandise. Just because the creator of that is easily worse than Vic par social taboo's, most people understand that he is not the end all be all and those pieces of merch do more than just provide for him but also the hundreds of others invovlved in the various means of production.
Aresef

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:53 am Reply with quote
I wouldn’t go to a convention that would invite Kenshin’s creator either. Vic can be excised from the community and everything will go on normally. Nobody at Power Rangers cons bemoans not being able to get Rick Medina’s or Samuell Benta’s autographs. (The former killed his roommate, which I’ll grant is on a whole other level, while the latter at the first Power Morphicon stole banner signed by the convention’s many guests that was to be auctioned for Make-A-Wish.)
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:22 am Reply with quote
TexZero wrote:

This is no different than people who to this day still buy Rurouni Kenshin merchandise. Just because the creator of that is easily worse than Vic par social taboo's, most people understand that he is not the end all be all and those pieces of merch do more than just provide for him but also the hundreds of others invovlved in the various means of production.

I guess you weren't there for the thread where people were genuinely trying to figure out how to navigate their love for the franchise and their disgust for Natsuki's crimes. Though I'd argue that most people were trying to figure out how/if to support the new manga (in which Natsuki takes the lion's share of the money and the credit) rather than something where he was just another cog in the machine like with Shonen Jump Force. The closer Natsuki's link to the product, the more people seemed to struggle--barring the folks who were firmly on the "separate the art from the artist" camp. My personal decision was just to buy used; that way none of the money made it back to its creator.
addiemon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:45 am Reply with quote
dmasterxd wrote:
It’s blatantly obvious that ANN is (and has been) only offering a one sided view through out this whole controversy

If that one side is "sexual harassment is bad" then I'm okay with this

As for the actual news content, regardless of what side of the fence you're on re: Vic, it's a shitty move for a con to uninvite a guest when it is revealed that he makes many attendees and guests feel uncomfortable and unsafe, and then to re-invite him at the last minute.

If they wanted to invite him next year, whatever, but pulling THIS stunt is a garbage-tier move.

Last edited by addiemon on Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:55 am; edited 1 time in total
El Hermano

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:50 am Reply with quote
KamehaCon made some announcements this morning about the situation. Good news is they've received multiple panel and guest applications in lieu of the cancellations and they'll update the new roster soon.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:13 am Reply with quote
Replies to a few topics brought up in this thread.

Quote:
Why are you deleting only pro-Mignogna posts?
We have a record of all posts deleted, posts from both sides of the debate have been deleted. It is true that more pro-Mignogna posts have been deleted. This is likely because the pro-Mignogna posts are the ones likely to spew a person I disagree with politically/Redpill bile (banned by our forum rules) as well as victim shaming. We're happy to delete those posts and will continue to do so. However pro-Vic posts that do not break our rules or go contrary to moderator instructions will not be deleted. Likewise, any posts from the other side that break our rules will also be deleted.

Quote:
Show me the evidence

Answer: Victims' Witness testimony

Quote:
That isn't evidence

Actually, in a court of law, as well as in journalism, witness and victim testimony is evidence. It isn't proof, but it is evidence. Significant evidence carries almost the same weight as proof. Many convictions are achieved in a court of law based on victim and witness testimony alone.

Quote:
Lawsuit

Lawsuits are generally a last resort. Both plaintiffs will usually try to settle out of court before resorting to a lawsuit. Proper legal representation is very important to the process of settling out of court. Good lawyers keep their clients out of court and most legal problems are settled out of court. Litigation can cost around US$15,000 a week with a very, very cheap lawyer; even if you win, you often don't get your legal costs back.
AntiKuro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:44 am Reply with quote
Regardless isn't Monica Rial supposedly one of his victims? It would be super weird and surprising if she hadn't of pulled out but it's also kind of a slap in the face to her.

{Edit}: Removed the rest of your post as I said we're not going off topic anymore and discussing other people like MJ. ~ Psycho 101
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10