• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Multiple Voice Actors Cancel Kameha Con Appearances Amid Vic Mignogna Controversy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phraze

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:49 am Reply with quote
Steve Minecraft wrote:

I'm gonna go ahead and disagree with this. Vic is one of the only VAs where people go to meet Vic Mignogna and not his characters. Well, ok, his characters too but I mean like, as you said, a lot of voice actors's fans only like actors for their character. But then you hear stories of fans writing letters to him or going up to him at his panel and talk to him about how they're being bullied or they're contemplating suicide and he takes the time to write back or talk to them and help them with their issues and be there for them. I think he is definitely one of the few VAs where people actually like him as a person and not just who he voices. The fact he still has tens of thousands of supporters during all this as well as being one of the only VAs to have an actual fanclub at least attests to the good will he built up with his fanbase over the years.

To the first, just because someone donated to charity or is a teacher doesn't make them a good person. I'd rather hear a yes/no to the allegations put forth, instead of a "he did this so he can't do that" argument (which is moot TBH).

To the second, those thousands are supporting an ideal, not him. He himself backed out, and is actually requesting convention access, in line with salvaging his career, instead of filing a defamation lawsuit. So, to me, it looks like the only involvement he has in the "innocent until proven guilty" campaign is to act as a poster boy. But hey, free promo.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:10 am Reply with quote
AntiKuro wrote:
Regardless isn't Monica Rial supposedly one of his victims? It would be super weird and surprising if she hadn't of pulled out but it's also kind of a slap in the face to her.

Whether or not the 'con organizers intended it as a slap in the face to Rial, they doubtlessly made the decision to re-invite Vic with the full expectation that Rial, Sabat, and possibly others were going to pull out in response and with the security that they wouldn't lose any table fees for artists/dealers pulling out because those are non-refundable. As others in this thread have suggested, they clearly decided that playing to Vic's fan base was going to outweigh any hit they would take from losing those names. Yeah, I absolutely agree that this was a calculated move, and that they probably don't give a damn that they've pissed off a segment of their artists/dealers/attendees in the process.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aresef

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:40 am Reply with quote
Phraze wrote:

To the first, just because someone donated to charity or is a teacher doesn't make them a good person. I'd rather hear a yes/no to the allegations put forth, instead of a "he did this so he can't do that" argument (which is moot TBH).

To the second, those thousands are supporting an ideal, not him. He himself backed out, and is actually requesting convention access, in line with salvaging his career, instead of filing a defamation lawsuit. So, to me, it looks like the only involvement he has in the "innocent until proven guilty" campaign is to act as a poster boy. But hey, free promo.

I'd go further and say that there are some carpetbaggers on Reddit and Twitter--probably not so much in these forums--stoking the flames simply because it's a prominent man accused. It's like how the other day I saw someone tweet "As a New Zealander..." but they mostly followed North American political feeds.

And I think whatever you think about what he did or dfdn't do, it's super scummy that they turned around and did this and they're not letting any of the artists back out and get a refund. I've heard of one artist who is giving a cut of their proceeds there to RAINN. I think that's a wonderful idea. I also think there should be some kind of effort to support or patronize the artists who decide to skip the con and eat their table cost, or encourage them to do so.
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:55 am Reply with quote
Regardless of where you stand on the overarching issue, this is a really crappy move by the con.

People are uncomfortable with him, around him, and even being at the same event as him. To publicly announce that he would not be attending, and then to wait until after the cancellation/refund deadline to change their tune, meaning that people have to choose between their safety (perceived danger is just as dangerous as actual danger) and losing money that they've already paid, is bad.
Anthony.P

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Quoting for the new page:

Tempest wrote:

Quote:
Show me the evidence

Answer: Victims' Witness testimony

Quote:
That isn't evidence

Actually, in a court of law, as well as in journalism, witness and victim testimony is evidence. It isn't proof, but it is evidence. Significant evidence carries almost the same weight as proof. Many convictions are achieved in a court of law based on victim and witness testimony alone.

How many times does this have to be said?
BlueRex666

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:00 pm Reply with quote
You know, suddenly I missed the days where arguments in forums were about "Who is best girl?"

I'm not saying this is not an important topic, but I feel like no one is willing to budge on anything. Rolling Eyes
BlueRex666

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Lady Multi wrote:
As I have said, the target audience of Dragon Ball Z Super doesn't care. These 10 year olds want to meet Broly's VA because they like Broly. Same as when little kids go to Disney and meet the costume's characters.

They don't care because for a little kid, the target audience of this kid's show, the actor is the character.

Like with the OG Power Rangers. Fans never cared about them as "a person" but as the character they played. People LOVED the Green Ranger when he first debuted but the fans that met the actor (Jason David Frank) knew him only as "Tommy".. And for an entire generation he WAS Tommy, the Green Ranger.

Vic IS Broly and is the only one that will be there at that convention to meet with fans of said character and his existing fan base from other media.
I doubt it considering this site is dedicated to Vic the person, not Broly the character. https://www.risemboolrangers.com/
Kuroi Ren

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Let them.

There's still no evidence and yet here they are accusing him
Key

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Kuroi Ren wrote:

Except for multiple, very detailed accounts by victims that haven't been taken back or refuted. You know, things that, as Tempest mentioned, can stand up in a court of law.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
meruru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Why is it so many are still questioning when now multiple voice actors are willing to take a financial loss as an objection over Vic's behavior and his still being invited as a guest to conventions? They've staked their real identities and possible negative repercussions to their careers as well. What must people do in order to be believed as credible?

To be perfectly honest, I don't even get why people get so worked up about voice actors who dub anime into English. They do a respectable job, but still the job is basically to copy someone else's performance.
Illia Sadri

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Kuroi Ren wrote:

Except for multiple, very detailed accounts by victims that haven't been taken back or refuted. You know, things that, as Tempest mentioned, can stand up in a court of law.

Detailed accounts primarily being given by VAs, other members of the industry, Funimation employees, convention staff, and non convention personal encounters.

All of the above are the exact kinds of people who had frequent or repeated interactions with a person and thus serve as a more reliable source of testimony than the fans whose interactions are limited to attending panels and signings.

One of the things that perhaps does not get emphasized a lot is that Vic has an uncanny charisma to him. Anyone who has worked with him has seen him flip the switch when he is on and it is understandable why so many people would want to believe he is a great guy. And sure any ANN or other convention facing folks would have no issue in bringing admitting this skill he has.

However, folks need to understand that there is a difference between public and private personas. How they present may not be representive of real life. In Vic's case it is not so much as having the occasional off day where things slip but over and over again.

It's okay if you were a fan not knowing, that's fine, but think about how many people have been hurt, be it in photos or testimony? When you know this is something that was whispered for so long, don't ask why women don't come forward but ask why if everyone is whispering that nothing was done. We can't change the past, but the convention scene was long overdue in taking a long, hard look at how it has traditionally treated women in the fandom. We have to identify how the ball got dropped to move forward.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:35 pm Reply with quote
I don’t know why anyone is surprised. Vic’s behavior has been known about for well over a decade. I’d say that many long time, multiple US convention attendees have at least one Vic story. I do, and yes, the man very much has a switch that he flips on when he’s in front of fans and then, when they’re not around, he turns off.

Why is anyone surprised that a convention sided with their bank account? They always do. They’re a business. People attend cons in droves because of Vic. None of these other names cancelling at the last minute will affect the convention’s bottom line. I’ve attended multiple US conventions and, even when multiple US guests are combined, none of them have the lines that Vic alone generates.

Y’all should know by now - Money talks
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:38 pm Reply with quote
brammerhammer23 wrote:
As someone who is well versed in the workings of conventions they agreed to the TOS when they paid to have a booth. The TOS almost always includes no refunds no matter the situation. While they can get more guests, but once they have rented out all the booth spaces they can almost never get replacements because those people have already committed to other cons I guess Kamehacon could be nice and let them out of their contract, but legally they dont have too. Kamehacon could theoretically go after the VAs that have cancelled because I'm sure the language in their contracts to cancel their appearances doesn't include cancelling because the con invited another VA. You can take it or leave it but that's just how cons work.

If a convention has empty vendor tables, they usually ask around to see if people already there want to upgrade or expand. There's also the waiting list for both vendors and artists they can go through. VA contracts usually have clauses for what to do in case either side has to back out last-minute. If the con is cancelled or moved, usually the guest gets a small fee and maybe some comps (like airfare). If the VA backs out, they forfeit anything they may have received up front (like airfare).

If the con were to sue they probably couldn't get much in terms of damages, especially if the guests give back everything they're supposed to, and even then all the guests have to do is say "I found work," and that fills the so-called breach.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Victim blaming posts and replies have been deleted.
Lizzie_B

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Errinundra wrote:
Victim blaming posts and replies have been deleted.

thank you
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10