• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Multiple Voice Actors Cancel Kameha Con Appearances Amid Vic Mignogna Controversy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alternative Ice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:24 pm Reply with quote
I don't get how this makes sense from a business standpoint, even ignoring the long term consequences of this.
Like people in this thread have said, attending a con takes a lot of planning ahead of time, travel, hotels, etc. Does kame really think that that many Vic fans are going to be able to rework their schedules last minute?

This decision is dumb in every possible way.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Alternative Ice wrote:
Like people in this thread have said, attending a con takes a lot of planning ahead of time, travel, hotels, etc. Does kame really think that that many Vic fans are going to be able to rework their schedules last minute?

If you're flying I can see that being an issue, but if you live within reasonable driving range (which I consider to be within 5 hours) then not so much. Also, hotel rooms within walking distance would be a problem but probably not if you're willing to drive a bit; for instance, I've easily found hotels for Acen (a con which currently pulls around 30k attendance) as little as a couple of weeks beforehand by being willing to stay a 10-15 minute drive away.

(Of course, the Chicago suburbs in the vicinity of O'Hare have no shortage of hotels, so that may not be a typical scenario.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Looking through some of the discussion on this thread, I can't help but think back on the io9 article, when I see people speaking about Vic being a great guy.

This is an article where Vic admits to a couple of stories (from the article) being legit. But, that he "remembered them differently" (saying they were consensual encounters, though the woman in each didn't think so)...makes me already believe he isn't the person fans think he is.

I have a very strong personal bias against cheaters. For me, knowing 100% that he attempted to cheat on his partner, opens the door for me to believe he'd been successful in the past/after these attempts, and that he isn't the great person his fans say he is.

Illia Sadri wrote:
ask why if everyone is whispering that nothing was done.

I love it when a quote is answered by another:
Cutiebunny wrote:
Y’all should know by now - Money talks

Which is also why the con has brought Vic back. They know he can be a cash cow, and they know that those who remain fans of his will put their money where their collective mouth is. Which, aside from Vic being popular at other cons, is also evidenced by the gofundme.

A bit of humor on my part, which is a bit off topic, so no issue if it gets snipped...
BlueRex666 wrote:
You know, suddenly I missed the days where arguments in forums were about "Who is best girl?"

Miku is best girl. Nino only becomes interested after seeing Futaro in a blonde wig, before she had no interest in him. Laughing
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:42 pm Reply with quote
When these guests were invited to the con, they had no issue with Vic being there. Once the scandal broke out you'd think they would all cancel immediately - but instead they decided to wait and proceeded to harass and threaten the con's management.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
When these guests were invited to the con, they had no issue with Vic being there. Once the scandal broke out you'd think they would all cancel immediately - but instead they decided to wait and proceeded to harass and threaten the con's management.

Shortly after this all came out the vast majority of cons who had invited Vic rescinded their invitations. There was no need for other guest to cancel their own invitations as his was already revoked by most conventions. The issue here is that this con did just that, and then after time has gone by, and the date has gotten much closer, they chose to RE-INVITE him. That's why this is such a scummy move. They have every right to be upset now at this con's chair staff. They are operating in quite bad faith to say he won't be there, and then change their mind at the last second and not warn anyone.
Nilrem

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm not fully up on this, but one of the first things that sprung to mind when reading that Vic had been reinvited back to the convention despite the numerous allegations was "liability", as in the convention is potentially opening itself up to some serious legal issues if there are any allegations that Vic does anything wrong during the convention.

In the UK IIRC the convention organisers would have a duty of care in regards to the visitors, especially any underage ones, and as such I very much doubt any convention with minors present would lightly risk inviting someone who has the number and type of allegations against them as Vic currently has, or if they did would require them to never be on the convention grounds without a member of convention staff present.

There are echos of a very high profile entertainer in the UK (who passed away about 8 years ago) in terms of the general circumstances of the allegations against Vic, in the way people knew of things going on and passed the information informally, the lack of action when it was reported as he's a big draw, the way accusers have not been believed etc, and that it took decades for the accusations to come fully to the surface and anything started to be done about them (and then they cascaded as more people felt safe to come forward), the inappropriate behaviour in public and in front of the cameras even..
I suspect UK readers will know who I'm talking about.

Also as someone else pointed out, one or two allegations may statistically be false.
Dozens, or hundreds of stories from both alleged victims and eyewitnesses whose locations at the time of the allegations can be checked, and it starts to look extremely likely there is something to them, especially when some of those victims and eyewitnesses are putting their own reputations on the line to come forward.
One of the many sad things about abuse/harassment allegations is that often the victims are afraid to come forward at the time as (especially when it's someone famous, or big in their industry involved) they don't want to "rock the boat" or get labelled hard to work with and a trouble maker.

I don't blame the VA's who have pulled out from the convention after Vic was asked to go again, besides being around someone who in some cases is alleged to have acted extremely inappropriately with them, they've got the Vic fans some of whom have been extremely vocal against them and they may have questions about personal safety at the convention.

[edit]
Sorry I the post ended up a lot longer than I'd intended.

{Mod Edit}: After removal of some posts your next post wound up right after this one. So I simply edited the parts of that 2nd post that remained relevant (not directly responding to other posts that were removed) into this one so it's just 1 post. ~ Psycho 101

As for why people appeared at cons etc with him despite the claims that things had happened previously - people put up with being around people they may hate or are scared of for all sorts of reasons, ranging from they might think they're the only one it happened to (and wonder if they did anything to encourage it and related self doubts about if maybe they are partly to blame (they're not)), or they're worried about what will happen to their careers if they refuse to work with the person or be near them.

This is behaviour that is recognised and common in people who have been assaulted and harassed, as they still have to get on with their lives and there are times when all you can do is take precautions to try and prevent it happening again (make sure you're never alone with the person, keep some distance if possible), and put a face on until you can get some distance.
It happens daily in workplaces, schools, universities etc all around the world, where a victim has little choice but to put up with the person that assaulted them in order to get on with their job or education.
Seif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:13 am Reply with quote
The amount of people complaining about Rial's lack of professionalism and in the same breath claiming that if she had a problem with him before she shouldn't have made those happy public appearances with him...

It's infuriating and makes me sick to my stomach.

You're exactly the reason why people don't come forward in the first place.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:01 am Reply with quote
And more victim blaming, conspiracy theory, and/or rude insult posts (and responses to them that were pointless with the offending posts removed) are gone.

Last edited by Redbeard 101 on Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total
GNPixie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:16 am Reply with quote
Is KamehaCon the same con that had a fiasco with Kelamis last year?

Yep. Seems like they've got issues. Kind of a shame they aren't aware of it.
Drunk Samurai

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:29 pm Reply with quote
GNPixie wrote:
Is KamehaCon the same con that had a fiasco with Kelamis last year?

Yep. Seems like they've got issues. Kind of a shame they aren't aware of it.

That would be because of Sean Schemmel and not the con itself.
wingweaver84

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:22 pm Reply with quote
When all of this broke,I admit I was horribly,horribly upset and disappointed because Vic had been one of my favorite VAs. I can't support any of his work anymore because of it. There are four Hetalia seasons I own that I now either have to mute Greece or watch in Japanese. I can't watch series like FMA or Ouran in English anymore.

While I can't confirm that these allegations are true,I really have no reason to doubt them.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:07 pm Reply with quote
More posts deleted. A person's behaviour isn't excused by the nature of the industry they work in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alestal

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Alternative Ice wrote:

If you're flying I can see that being an issue, but if you live within reasonable driving range (which I consider to be within 5 hours) then not so much. Also, hotel rooms within walking distance would be a problem but probably not if you're willing to drive a bit; for instance, I've easily found hotels for Acen (a con which currently pulls around 30k attendance) as little as a couple of weeks beforehand by being willing to stay a 10-15 minute drive away.

(Of course, the Chicago suburbs in the vicinity of O'Hare have no shortage of hotels, so that may not be a typical scenario.)

There are 4 nearby hotels that people can walk to the convention center from but TONS in the Las Colinas/Grapevine area. It's very close to DFW airport.

I'm guessing the majority of the attendees/guests will be staying at the Westin hotel across the street that just opened.

I live right down the street. Too bad I'm not into DB anymore. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10