• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Multiple Voice Actors Cancel Kameha Con Appearances Amid Vic Mignogna Controversy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aresef

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:10 pm Reply with quote
timmy7596 wrote:
Aresef wrote:
Shame on the organizers of Kameha Con. What an underhanded, disgusting move. If they want Vic there so bad, then I hope every other guest and every panelist backs out. It would serve them right.

If a convention I went to invited that creep, I would swear that event off for good, even if it were a marquee thing like Ota or Acen.

Maybe the poster above is right and maybe there was a contract involved, but I’d argue there’s even greater liability for an event that *does* let him attend. They should’ve stuck to their guns and sided with their attendees.

They are siding with their attendees. They revoked the invite because of all this initial drama but when the TRUTH piles up and all these "claims" come out with no evidence backing them and its just transparent words it means nothing. These VA's go out and accuse him or all these immoral acts with no backing and expect everyone to believe them because they claim they are a victim.

But please continue to spread false information and slander someone when so far there is no proof showing he is a "creep".

Do you realize how many people in and out of the industry would have to be involved in a massive conspiracy in order for all these claims to be false? And to what ends would people like Rial and Marchi and other of their supporters in the industry seek to have him ostracized if not as a consequence of loathsome behavior? Why him? Why now?

Last edited by Aresef on Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
Maybe the poster above is right and maybe there was a contract involved, but I’d argue there’s even greater liability for an event that *does* let him attend. They should’ve stuck to their guns and sided with their attendees.
Have you considered the possibility that the convention did side with their attendees? Not a single police report has been filed against Vic and so far he is the only person that even seems interested in taking any of this to court. As the anonymous allegations became more exaggerated they became more suspicious especially when the poster would state that people should always believe anonymous allegations.
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Illia Sadri wrote:
To everyone asking how in the world this went on so long or why women didn't come forward, this is the exact end result.

"We know, but he is too popular for us to not invite him." was what a convention I worked for over the span of a decade said to me.

It came up in countless meetings where we mentioned the creepy behavior as well as the drama queen stuff that in itself should have earned a ban. And actually did. Just never stuck.

No matter what the reason, we were told to put the fans before ourselves and recognize that he is arguably the most popular voice actor in anime and the cons need him.

The sad underlying story here is how, even when it comes out, it doesn't matter. Nothing happens. Your name gets dragged in the mud only for it to amount to nothing.

At this point I'm holding the cons just as complicit.

Ehhhhh. I gotta somewhat disagree on this. Honestly, I think it was more than people calling out the sexual allegations. As someone who strongly supports for anyone to speak out no matter what should be said.

/However/

I will say that some of the voice actresses were pretty awful during the time they were saying what Vic did to them. I am not gonna lie, I strongly dislike Monica and a couple of voice actresses but because of what they have said. How they acted towards the fans. Are we really going to forget that a voice actress wished assault on someone? They should have quietly taken this. Doesn't matter how popular he is when there is a lot of famous popular people that people understood on how wrong they were to do these horrible things to these women.

How can you say you support the #MeToo movement when you are wishing harm upon fans who enjoyed your work? Practice what you preach of spreading love/peace is what they say so they could have ignored the hate instead of adding more fuel to the fire.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Ashabel wrote:
To put it simply, Rekieta isn't a lawyer.

He is a licensed lawyer. I'm not sure where you're getting your information from, but you are greatly misinformed. Although, whether you like him or not isn't really relevant. Vic's lawyer is Beard Harris Bullock Hughes who has been in contact with the owner of KamehaCon and has read Vic's contract themselves, in addition to the statements, phone logs, and information he collected from them surrounding the incident so hopefully they can get to the bottom of it and help the convention owner who claims he was being blackmailed and threatened by industry personnel into dropping Vic in the first place.
Junko666

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:24 pm Reply with quote
ranran-001 wrote:

Junko666 wrote:

Well originally Kameha con pulled Vic out because its been confirmed by Vic's lawyer that Chris Sabat sent text messages to the organiser of Kameha con, threatening not to go if they invited Vic. Quite frankly as far as I'm concerned Vic's sexual allegations is now being taken to court and under US law its "innocent until proven guilty". So until Vic is found guilty he has every right to attend this convention in particular. If other VAs want to boycott this event that's down to them Kameha is a big convention and they could have easily ensured Vic never had to meet with the other VAs who have an issue with him.

What lawsuit? There isn't one. There are youtubers spreading ridiculous paranoid and fictional conspiracy theories, but beyond that, there is no lawsuit in the works. Granted that in real life, lawsuits like this could take years to conclude. In real life, lawsuits like this don't take months to formally be submitted. The reality, right now, Vic ain't suing no one.

No offence but if you’re going to get involved in this sort of discussion then you should at least do some research first.
Here’s the Statement from Vic that confirms he has filed a lawsuit.
https://twitter.com/vicmignogna/status/1098394938453213185/photo/1
So much for those you tubers spreading ‘fictional conspiracy theories’.
brammerhammer23

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Many others posters have already mentioned what has been going on behind the scenes and it's all true. Vic Mignognas lawyer Ty Beard was directly involved in negotiating with Kamehacon to bring Vic back. It would have happened sooner but many VA did threaten them and kamehacon knew they might back out. Kamehacon made the right decision in the end. Cons are for the fans, and not the Voice Actors, panelists, or whoever else is involved. I'd say by the response the fans have won. The other VAs who have cancelled are just being petty. Kamehacon will have TONS of security so their safety will not be a problem. That's just a lame excuse for them breaking their contracts. I'm sure the language included to let them cancel does not include that they can cancel because Vic was invited back.
Phraze

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Didn't think ANN would report on this. Nice.

The con is practically doing a disservice considering few people couldn't get refunds.. At least allow people to cancel reservations/invitations, if they want to throw in a wrench that is infamously controversial. The outrage is still free promo, I guess. lol
Ryasha

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Junko666 wrote:
ranran-001 wrote:

Junko666 wrote:

Well originally Kameha con pulled Vic out because its been confirmed by Vic's lawyer that Chris Sabat sent text messages to the organiser of Kameha con, threatening not to go if they invited Vic. Quite frankly as far as I'm concerned Vic's sexual allegations is now being taken to court and under US law its "innocent until proven guilty". So until Vic is found guilty he has every right to attend this convention in particular. If other VAs want to boycott this event that's down to them Kameha is a big convention and they could have easily ensured Vic never had to meet with the other VAs who have an issue with him.

What lawsuit? There isn't one. There are youtubers spreading ridiculous paranoid and fictional conspiracy theories, but beyond that, there is no lawsuit in the works. Granted that in real life, lawsuits like this could take years to conclude. In real life, lawsuits like this don't take months to formally be submitted. The reality, right now, Vic ain't suing no one.

No offence but if you’re going to get involved in this sort of discussion then you should at least do some research first.

"Retained a law firm" doesn't mean a lawsuit of any kind has been filed.
That just means he hired a lawyer and nothing more.

I retained a lawyer after I was in a car accident but no suit has actually been filed (yet) until I finish my recovery treatments and the doctors discharge me.

So the common misconception of "He's suing and this is proof" is where the fictional conspiracy part comes in because there is no actual lawsuit as of yet. Just a lawyer hired by the accused to gather evidence to possibly make one.
GoddyNee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:40 pm Reply with quote
....Yeah this is going to go over REAL well for Funimation Anime smile + sweatdrop

Serious Question: Do con guests have a contract to appear? I've never been to one or work with one so I seriously don't know.

Because if the reason that they reinvited Vic was because they're going to get sued, that's messed up.

And Monica Rial and the two actors from Funi just screwed themselves over as well.
Ashabel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Junko666 wrote:

What it says is that he "retained a law firm in an attempt to salvage his reputation within the industry".

He then spends an entire paragraph explicitly divorcing himself from the GoFundMe campaign, just in case if the whole thing falls through and he is held accountable for thousands of dollars magically disappearing into the nether realms. It's a very smart move on his account, I would say.

It says nothing at all about the lawsuit. In the first place, libel lawsuits don't take over four weeks to get filed. You could maybe argue that he is gathering evidence that he didn't do any of the things he is accused of, but the catch here is that if he did absolutely nothing, then no evidence would exist at all; instead he should have a very easy time of simply debunking the supposedly fake evidence provided by Funimation and various voice actors in court.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
probably his last con appearances for awhile, assuming Funi truly did sever ties and would never ever cast him in anything.

Then again in other tv shows, and other media, people who were in his situation were seemingly in timeout for a bit before they were invited back and resumed their shows just as if nothing happened.

It appears public opinion is already starting to shift back in his favor. He's been receiving a number of con invites over the past month and has recently been to a few cons already.
Illia Sadri

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:50 pm Reply with quote
capt_bunny wrote:

Ehhhhh. I gotta somewhat disagree on this. Honestly, I think it was more than people calling out the sexual allegations. As someone who strongly supports for anyone to speak out no matter what should be said.

I was literally in the room as "he's too popular" came up. It was spoken to my face - roughly a decade ago.

Keep in mind this came up with regards to him touching women. Handing out his phone number to girls who were clearly underage. Complaints from other VAs on his behavior. He's ruined panels and events for them in the past. Him holding a sermon in the hotel public area when told no and causing fire marshall adventures. Making a con rebook his flight home so he could get home for an emergency that turned out to be a date. Making con staffers cry.

Didn't matter what it was, who it was toward or if it was illegal or just immoral. He would get banned by a con and ultimately it would pass because "He's too popular" That was the response I personally got when he got too touchy with me people. People saw. Nobody disbelieved me. I worked this convention for a decade - but we can't do anything.

But please tell me from the comfort of your computer how you had that one great hug during a panel that one time and that's how you know he is a good man. I'm sure you know all from those 30 second encounters.

Quote:
I will say that some of the voice actresses were pretty awful during the time they were saying what Vic did to them. I am not gonna lie, I strongly dislike Monica and a couple of voice actresses but because of what they have said. How they acted towards the fans. Are we really going to forget that a voice actress wished assault on someone? They should have quietly taken this. Doesn't matter how popular he is when there is a lot of famous popular people that people understood on how wrong they were to do these horrible things to these women.

Monica is someone who is beloved on the convention scene. Having been involved with cons since around 2000 and having lots of friends who still are running cons, there is not a negative impression to be found. She's never been anything short of magnificent.

Jamie came on the con scene after I was largely out of the day to day, but again... I have never heard anything negative at all... and I still hear stories.

Samantha? Total sweetheart. Uncommonly nice.

Funny how that works in that if you have a reputation of treating those around you with respect, it's easier to believe them over the guy who everyone had a story about over the span of a couple decades.

Quote:
How can you say you support the #MeToo movement when you are wishing harm upon fans who enjoyed your work? Practice what you preach of spreading love/peace is what they say so they could have ignored the hate instead of adding more fuel to the fire.

How can you be in support of #metoo and let someone abuse women over and over? Do you have any idea how much this hurts knowing that despite speaking up over and over we are still at square one with regard to taking the kinds of shenanigans that hurt a lot of us?

How many people need to be hurt before we consider that sometimes our heroes let us down.

Last edited by Illia Sadri on Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
ranran-001

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Junko666 wrote:

Is that what you got from his tweet? A statement that he is seeking legal advice to salvage his career? At no point has a lawsuit been filed, none. So for the time being some magical lawsuit that will re-instate Vic as a voice actor, and slay the evil people who care about social justice and mean mean feminists, is a fiction that only exists in the minds of the most deluded youtubers.
furyk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Really glad that a con is staking their reputation on a voice actor who wasn't even canon six months ago vs the main antagonist of Super and the main female voice of Dragonball throughout the history of the series. Ignoring the politics of this, I'd be shocked if Rial ever worked with this con again and honestly, if I'm going to a Dragonball con, seeing Bulma is more important to me than seeing Broly.

Last edited by furyk on Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I congratulate the convention. Rial, Sabat and all the others who are pulling out are absolutely pathetic for doing this.

I hope everyone who's going will still have a good time there and that includes Vic! Make it a good one, don't let anybody ruin this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10