• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Multiple Voice Actors Cancel Kameha Con Appearances Amid Vic Mignogna Controversy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Junko666

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Ryasha wrote:

Don't know how you swap the A in my name for an O, twice, but that's neither here nor there.

You just said it yourself that he has not actually filed a lawsuit. Just because it's LIKELY doesn't mean it has happened yet. That's the point being made. That you can't say that there is one when there hasn't actually been one. Until it's actually made, it's fictitious.

My mention of retaining a lawyer for my accident by the way wasn't to equate it to sexual assault but to give an example of what it means to retain a law firm. I know they're different. But the definition of "Retain a law firm" is the same in both cases.

Because I thought your name was Ryasho not Ryasha so my apologies there.

As I explained, in his situation, the only reason he would retain a law firm is so that he can file a lawsuit. Its the same thing my Mother did when she was falsely accused. The remaining 10% consists of Monica and co dropping their accusations or coming to some kind of deal so he no longer has to file one.
Drunk Samurai

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:53 pm Reply with quote
ranran-001 wrote:
scrwbll19 wrote:
ranran-001 wrote:
There isn't any discovery, because no lawsuit has been filed. Has anyone even filed a motion for discovery? I have seen none but hot air and wild speculations.

Ty Beard, Vic's lawyer, has discussed discovery on Nick Rekieta's podcast. Feel free to listen, although many here are saying both are fakes. Either way, it shows a massive amount of ignorance, especially for those who have such strong opinions without supporting evidence. That is what matters in court at least.

That doesn't count. Please provide the formal documentation, i.e. motion of discovery. Podcasting with a man that weaves conspiracy theories is just beyond lame.

Drunk Samurai wrote:

Ron Toye said he was served them on Twitter.

Ron Toye's Twitter is private, how does that say he publicly announced he was served a summons? Your statement is credulous at best.

Again the clown show amounts to make a bunch of ridiculous statements, never backed up by real evidence, and then hope one of them sticks.

He said it before it was made private. Ron Toye is engaged to Monica Rial.
brammerhammer23

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Look. Ron Toye has made over 400 tweets in just the last two months specifically about Vic Mignogna. he's provided plenty of evidence of his meddling in this whole affiar. Thay can implicate Monica Rial as a conspirator as well, but she's going to he apart of a separate lawsuit because she caused separate causes of action for a lawsuit. This is not speculation this is fact. Ty Beard has confirmed they are going after these people. The truth will come out whether Vic Mignogna is guilty or not. These will be civil cases and not criminal either so those 30 woman that Ron and Monica have been touting wont even get to speak unless they file a separate criminal suit. I cant wait for discovery thats for sure. I wouldn't want to be giving a disposition either in these cases.

Last edited by brammerhammer23 on Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ryasha

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Junko666 wrote:
Ryasha wrote:

Don't know how you swap the A in my name for an O, twice, but that's neither here nor there.

You just said it yourself that he has not actually filed a lawsuit. Just because it's LIKELY doesn't mean it has happened yet. That's the point being made. That you can't say that there is one when there hasn't actually been one. Until it's actually made, it's fictitious.

My mention of retaining a lawyer for my accident by the way wasn't to equate it to sexual assault but to give an example of what it means to retain a law firm. I know they're different. But the definition of "Retain a law firm" is the same in both cases.

Because I thought your name was Ryasho not Ryasha so my apologies there.

As I explained, in his situation, the only reason he would retain a law firm is so that he can file a lawsuit. Its the same thing my Mother did when she was falsely accused. The remaining 10% consists of Monica and co dropping their accusations or coming to some kind of deal so he no longer has to file one.

Right but until the lawsuit is actually filed, it's not something that can be stated as fact.
He retained a law firm so that he could, in the future, file a suit, not that he has presently.
Until proof that the suit has been filed comes out, the constantly stated belief that he has filed one is going to be deemed a fictitious conspiracy theory.
It's all in the wording.
If one was to say Vic has gotten a lawyer and is possibly going to file a lawsuit, it wouldn't be seen that way.
But saying he has already when he hasn't yet is conspiracy theory territory.

Before this possibly gets any further, I just want it to be known that I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why it's not technically correct to say the suit has been filed based off of the evidence of his statement on twitter a month ago.
If since then a suit actually has been filed then I retract my statements.
hack5

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:05 pm Reply with quote
macattack wrote:
There is a lot of legalese being thrown around right now over this. I can't say what the true reason for Kameha Con re-inviting Vic is, but I have heard that the contract with inviting Vic was broken and put Vic in a position of suing the con if so desired, so re-inviting him was an attempt to avoid such a scenario.

Naturally, Monica Rial, Christopher Sabat, et. al. are breaching their contracts with Kameha Con and this is going to make everything significantly uglier. I've also heard that Monica Rial, Christopher Sabat, and Chris Rager all threatened Kameha Con via emails and text messages and this is going to be a massive pile of evidence in court down the line one way or another.

This is just really ugly and I don't think anyone is coming out of this unscathed at the end. What should have been a quiet blacklisting of Vic has turned into a Pyrrhic Victory, where Vic is out of the industry but everyone else will be suffering permanent blows to their reputations and possibly lose a pile of money to Vic. Not to mention the re-ignition of the sub vs dub wars and permanent schisms in the anime fandom.

This could have all been avoided. Does no one follow legal advice anymore?

True I for one is sick of this whole thing I use to watch dubs but cant stand them anymore right now I am 100% subs this situation have gotten me paranoid that I have not been on this site since all this shit started,I am even thinking of cancelling my membership I just like this site for how it get the news on new anime /jrpg games it just too much drama and sides taken.If I could find a site as good as this one when it comes to anime I would not be here enough is enough sorry if offend anyone.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:12 pm Reply with quote
ranran-001 wrote:
dmasterxd wrote:

It’s blatantly obvious that ANN is (and has been) only offering a one sided view through out this whole controversy, a pointless one might I add. As someone else has previously stated it’s innocent until proven guilty. Not the other way around...False accusations are just as bad as the actual act iself in case you didn’t know. And time and time again, it’s been shown that these accusations are far more likely to be false than not. People constantly faking evidence being a prime example...Also these claims have been refuted. By a girl in a picture with Vic that someone one else tried to use against him. She herself was the one who refuted that claim saying it was consented and that she was on his side. Hmmmmm. And that’s just one of many many examples...

Vic has had the opportunity to respond to these allegations. He has released about two statements, when the allegations first surfaced and a week or two later. Both responses have been covered by ANN. Vic has also issued strong denials of the more serious accusations, the ones in regards to sexual assault, harassment, and inappropriate importuning with minors. ANN has covered Vic's denials.

How is that one sided? Does ANN need to cover Youtubers with no connection to this case? Nope. They are under no obligation to publish and give credence to basement dwellers, incellers, conspiracy weavers, and spin doctors.
Well point, there is no reason why some random Twitter or YouTube user needs to be included because they made a clickbait post/video titled "MONICAI RIAL AND FUNIMATIONS LIES EXPOSED"
Drunk Samurai

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Illia Sadri wrote:

Understand that these kinds of reactions, the threats and the goddamn SWAT prank of all things are the reason why it takes years and years for many accusers to come forward and feel safe. If you have any questions as to why women don't come forward the Vic fans are showing outright. My friends who work cons that canceled him have dealt with threats over this fallout. A couple are seriously worried about safety at their respective events and trying to get ahead of it.

She changed her story multiple times.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:23 pm Reply with quote
It's a Sunday so I don't think most of the mod team is around.

Posts that are outright insulting/attacking other users are deleted. Responses to the insults are also deleted. Also removed some duplicate posts. Especially egregious posts will get you put on moderation or banned. Please review our forum rules if you aren't sure.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:31 pm Reply with quote
The only reason I can see for the Convention bringing him back, is the support of the convention attendees. Why else bring him back, knowing you are going to get a public backlash. They figure they are going to lose more money not having him, than the losses from having him.
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Illia Sadri wrote:
.... Mean? I'm sorry, please look at the sorts of prerogatives I'm getting and you think I am being mean for giving the hard truth that the backers and the fans who don't believe any number of testimony is not enough.

And then extrapolate that this has been the exact experience I have seen over and over again for 20 years. I refuse sugar coating at this point because it meant nothing got done. It didn't matter with Monica's situation, Or Jessie, or mine or any of the others and thus it was allowed to keep going. Other people have been affected because 15 years ago... 10 years ago nobody took action.

I wish we could have talked more about this in a calmer manner. It seems that this nothing more than speaking to brick walls for ears. I think those who brag about how blunt they are and don't sugar coat simply give an excuse to be mean. I admit, I am disappointed in you since you were trying to be on the side that brings justice. Only to bring so much negativity..... As some who has been molested, unwanted touching from years, comments that would make any preteen cry over their body looked at sexually. I can understand why you are upset because all of that has happened to me. I know because a lot of women go through this by the age of 20. At least experiencing this once. I am sorry that no one believed you. I simply hope that the anger, hatred is gone one day. That this is handled with the peace Monica should be preaching and that justice can be done.

Ah, to the mods. If I sound too harsh on this then forgive me and please edit whatever is right. I know its forums like these are always a struggle to handle. Please have a wonderful rest of the month. Thank you for your handwork of keeping an eye on these forums.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:18 pm Reply with quote
I knew the forums had been too quiet lately. Once again we're back to this lovely topic. Rolling Eyes As most can tell there are now pages worth of posts that have been removed now that there's been time to sort through this mess. Many more have been edited. Some have wound up on moderation. All for pretty much the exact same crap as in every other Vic thread thus far. The mods will be watching this closely from here on. We weren't already because we had no warning it was coming. In the meantime here is a refresher on what to stop with if you don't want your posts edited, removed, or to wind up on moderation.

Victim Blaming
Insulting users personally
Threats of violence
Conspiracy Theories
Armchair backseat lawyer arguments
Offtopic discussion on unrelated twitter or youtube material
Any other offense that violates our rules

On a specific note (since this keeps coming up) accusations/discussion that he is actively suing anyone is considered a conspiracy theory at this point in time here. Retaining a lawyer is not the same as actually filing a lawsuit. Could he file one? Sure. Has he yet? No. End of story. So let's stop the back and forth arguing on that. If/when he does actually file a lawsuit THEN it's not a theory and is actual fact. At that point it will be applicable for discussion in appropriate threads that will no doubt accompany news articles regarding such developments.

Now how about everyone stay respectful from this point on please.
Kistune_bride

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad Monica decided to tap out not only to avoid Vic's "fans" but also she has no reason to place herself in the same building with a man who harassed her.

I'm no Dragon Ball fan but if this same situation happened for say a FMA dedicated convention, I would be pissed.

Ignoring internet conspiracy theories, the guests who choose to leave aren't damaging themselves. They can go to any other convention and feel safe with fans. Vic is the one who will be limited to whatever con committee wants to be associated with his allegations.

I hope nothing ill happens to the fans or guests or panelists who are uncomfortable with Vic. And I hope nothing bad happens to Vic's supporters either. Vic himself can eat eggshells for all I care.
CrimsonDX

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Fully on Vic's side with this one.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:53 pm Reply with quote
I stopped caring and choosing sides a couple weeks after this whole thing started and I honestly thought this whole thing died down online. I don't use twitter much, but going back people are still throwing shade at either Monica or Vic.

I'm very interested about how this will all come to a conclusion. Regardless Monica, Jamie, and Vic's reputation among fans are tarnished.

[EDIT: Removed a lawsuit reference. That topic is dead, per Psycho's post above. - Key]
Sad Petal

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:08 pm Reply with quote
I have yet to see any facts or hard evidence provided from said accusers. What I will say here in the West Indies, a kiss on the cheek or a hug is nothing more than a common greeting.

The only thing's I've seen so far and read about are hair pulling and whispering creepy things in others ear through a twitter battle. I'm not taking anything at face value that is said over twitter or through private DMs. As for the time being Vic is innocent until proven guilty.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10