• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Multiple Voice Actors Cancel Kameha Con Appearances Amid Vic Mignogna Controversy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BBAGuyver01

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm just going to state that I've cancelled my subscriptions to both Funimation and RoosterTeeth and don't plan on buying or watching any products by them anymore.

I, for one, remember what happened with Chris Hardwick.

As for those VAs that have decided to cancel, well, I'll be switching back to subs.
Ashabel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:39 pm Reply with quote
#893758 wrote:

This is a false equivalence with intent to emotionally manipulate the narrative in your favor.

Hardwick was never actually publicly accused; Nerdist are widely considered to have jumped the gun when they removed him from their website, given that they themselves admitted that they conducted no investigation at that point. Chloe Dykstra herself never actually named him and refused to participate in any investigations against him, so all we really have regarding that incident is gun-jumping based on assumptions.

Vic Mignogna, on the other hand, has a history of foul behavior trailing back for at least fifteen years.

Here is a conversation that pops up on google if you search for "vic mignogna my hero academia".

And here is instant public backlash against the Bungou Stray Dogs dub in response to Vic being announced as Ranpo.

I can keep bringing these up all day long. The fact of the matter is that Vic was very publicly known as a sexual predator for many many years and comparing him with Hardwick is an argument made in the worst of faith.
Phraze

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Looks like more cancellations happened. Artists and normal fans are affected too...

Real question: Ever occurred to anyone that cancellations could also be because some prefer to avoid drama? What if there are rallies or join-the-cause recruiting/preaching? To the regular weeb, it's not the thing they visit conventions for. Not everyone likes religious peddlers.

And, contract talk(?): It's probably a rental agreement for convention grounds/publicity, nothing more. Common sense being that the VAs are referred to as "guests" and not "workers/employees" (like in acting). Rentals can be cancelled, especially before use; the owner can also choose to decline an offer in that period. The lack of refunds is what makes this a mess.
Lizzie_B

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Good to know the people cancelling are avoiding another dumpster fire of a convention.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Ashabel wrote:
I'd just like to note that the whole angle about how Kameha Con simply care about a positive experience for their fans and attendees doesn't really parse when you consider that artists uncomfortable with their decision have been summarily denied refunds[/url] under the excuse that it's too late to do so, therefore making it impossible for them to pull out of the con without suffering severe monetary loss.

This is why people should read the disclaimer on the things they sign. When you buy tickets, it flat out says that refunds are not allowed on the page. At least it did for me.

R315r4z0r wrote:
I think every and all voice actors that are openly involving themselves with this whole debacle of their own free will should be blacklisted from any future industry jobs.

I'm only going for the Spanish VAs and Japanese VAs myself, but English VA drama plagued KamehaCon last year too. Peter Kelamis originally got dropped due to Sean Schemmel putting pressure on the con, then after he went public with the story then suddenly he got invited again and it was all written off as "miscommunication" Rolling Eyes Drama in the English dubbing VA scene is as old as dirt and it sucks when it affects the rest of the industry too.
Mewshuji

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:29 pm Reply with quote
#893758 wrote:
How about what happened with Bill Cosby? Or what happened with Michael Jackson. Two individuals (one of which who even went to COURT and got proven innocent in one case) who are now known sex pests, thanks to Cosby's trial and the new MJ documentary.

Like, ****sake, up until Leaving Neverland came out, I was firmly in the "MJ did nothing wrong" crowd due to the trial, so I get what it's like having someone you're a fan of be basically dressed down as a sex pest. But I've been provided compelling evidence MJ was a creep to kids, and as such, were he not dead, I'd feel incredibly guilty supporting his work in any capacity.

But, for every false accusation, there are ten true ones. Or, perhaps not that exact ratio, but somewhere around there.

And hey, for fun, let's play with math some.

There's at least 20 different individuals who have come forward with a face and name to themselves to state that they, in some way, have felt sexually violated by Vic.

Statistically, there's a good chance at least one is false.
Two even? Sure.
But once we get to three, four, five... and beyond? It's statistically unlikely. Gets to something like 1 in 12000 or so for 20 cases of "this is either true or false". And given I'm pretty confident there are more than that, including ones we haven't heard that Funi and RT probably have, or that people are still too scared to speak up on due to the harassment from Vic fans?

Like, sorry, but where there's smoke, there's fire. If it was a case of a single accusation, even two, three, or four, then, fine. But at this point there's no way Vic hasn't done SOMETHING effed enough for him to not get to appear at cons any longer or get work any longer until he proves he's changed.
ShanaChanTT wrote:
Aresef wrote:
Shame on the organizers of Kameha Con. What an underhanded, disgusting move. If they want Vic there so bad, then I hope every other guest and every panelist backs out. It would serve them right.

If a convention I went to invited that creep, I would swear that event off for good, even if it were a marquee thing like Ota or Acen.

Maybe the poster above is right and maybe there was a contract involved, but I’d argue there’s even greater liability for an event that *does* let him attend. They should’ve stuck to their guns and sided with their attendees.

how is he a creep if he hasn't been proven guilty..
See my above reply. Statistically, it's unlikely every Vic story is false- even narrowed down to the ones that we can potentially verify is from an individual who attended a con and met Vic or worked with Vic.

At the bare minimum, we know he can and has been creepy (video evidence, saying stuff about an underage girl and how he's glad her father isn't there, along with flirting with other underage girls at a cosplay contest and saying "What guys, I'm Captain Kirk!") and a diva (numerous more people than SH/SA accusers can recall when he's stolen people from panels for signings or demanded a panel end early for him to "set up", not to mention former con staff horror stories). Now, a sex pest? It's true we don't have proof beyond statement. But, if for some reason, you think everyone who was hurt by him is lying... we can easily judge him as a creep for numerous other, actually documented things he's done.

And anyway, KamehaCon is trying to have its cake and eat it too. It said it would cancel Vic's appearance- knowing well and good WHY they should make that move... only to do a 180 and reinivite him. There's a good chance many decided to go to KamehaCon only once Vic was uninvited, or were glad to hear he was because they weren't aware of what he did until he got uninvited. And by not allowing refunds, they're basically forcing people to make a moral judgement- do they care more about their money going to waste, or are they okay with helping a con succeed when it LIED to fans about someone who has a lot of bad press around him that people very much wanted gone?

The irony is that they lose actual important guests now. The most important female character in the series (who is the heart of Dragonball prior to Z) in Bulma, and a major addition to Super in Beerus no less. Broly? Mostly known as a non-canon screaming guy. Who only just got characterization in the DBS Broly movie and... will have a new voice actor who actually gets to perform beyond screaming soon enough. And I know Monica at least is going to try to do an appearance around the area of KamehaCon to try to make it up to fans who may be disappointed she can't make it, so the people claiming she's "showing fans hatred" are frankly dead wrong. Funny how Vic never thought of that, if he REALLY cared about fans and not the money and fame. Hell, he probably could have even charged too. But nah. NEED to pester a con with his lawyer to get back in.

Ironic that Vic probably wouldn't have a big a defense force today if whoever was casting for Broly didn't give him the role allegedly because he didn't like him and knew he'd have to scream a lot over numerous takes.

Last edited by Mewshuji on Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
It just seems a very bizarre decision and I can't imagine why the con would do that. I mean I understand short term greed/gain, but in the long term this will just hurt their reputation.

You said it yourself, greed.That's the most likely reason. Regardless of your opinion throughout this whole situation the fact remains he puts butts in seats as they say. Maybe the people running it personally like him. Maybe they're scared and buying into certain conspiracy theories. Maybe an alien fish creature told them too. The most likely reason, especially based on the timing of the announcement, is that they want more money. They want the money that fans of his will bring. I can understand that from a financial perspective, but I think they are making a huge mistake.

Plus this is a HOT topic right now. People will come now that might not have before just to show support for him, or to have a chance to shout at him. They have to know that. Only someone completely blind and deaf who has no idea about the situation would think otherwise. Considering they canceled him coming originally and now have him back suggest they clearly know. Having him there guarantees more people to be there if for no other reason than the same reason everyone slows down when driving by the aftermath of a car accident. By announcing it at this point, to where people can't cancel easily, also suggests the idea that they planned to do this. At least to me it does.

As you pointed out, at least Anime Matsuri has been transparent about where they stand. So have other cons. Agree or not at least you know what the situation is and can make an informed decision to attend or not. Honestly my biggest concern is how the various con attendees will act. Will people just have a good time or is there going to be confrontational situations? Hopefully the former and not the latter, but the timing of their choice to me raises the possibility of the latter.
xstylus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Has anyone given any thought to the idea that the con was strong-armed into honoring their contract with Vic, against their will?

It was the con that broke the contract, after all. Granted, for good reason, but if there wasn't an appropriate clause in the contract, then they might have been stuck. And we do know that Vic has lawyered up.

I'll place a pretty big bet that the con is not enjoying the negative PR it's getting right now, and would not have brought it on themselves unless they were forced to.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:49 pm Reply with quote
xstylus wrote:

I'll place a pretty big bet that the con is not enjoying the negative PR it's getting right now, and would not have brought it on themselves unless they were forced to.

It's a possibility, but the cynic in me just doesn't buy it. If that were the case they could have mentioned it with the re-announcement. "Due to matters outside our control" etc etc.

On a different topic......I thought it was clear, but since I forgot to specifically say this previously I will say it now. The off topic discussion on other people, like Cosby, MJ, other VA's etc. can stop as well.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:58 pm Reply with quote
xstylus wrote:
Has anyone given any thought to the idea that the con was strong-armed into honoring their contract with Vic, against their will?

It was the con that broke the contract, after all. Granted, for good reason, but if there wasn't an appropriate clause in the contract, then they might have been stuck. And we do know that Vic has lawyered up.

We can't talk about it 'cause its apparently a "conspiracy theory" to talk about him being invited back that that they canceled their own appearances.

Rial posted that she was doing it out of "Security reasons" and that she would plan an external meet-up.

Honestly, I"m glad they're not going and that Vic is from all that I have heard.

And personally, I will not be buying anything from Funimation ever again. At least not directly. I boycotted a game years ago and I have yet to buy that game. Will only buy it used it I ever do.

Really, it was just so bizarre that they would feel "obligated" or not to cancel someone with zero factual evidence in the matter to begin with especially when he is the voice of the movie that just made craptons of money for the franchise that the con is about.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:00 am Reply with quote
Lizzie_B wrote:
Good to know the people cancelling are avoiding another dumpster fire of a convention.

Well, on the other end, a lot of people are buying tickets because he was invited back, even if they are not going. OR they are just paypaling Kameacon money to support the convention and owners for all the stuff they've been drug through.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:04 am Reply with quote
Lady Multi wrote:
xstylus wrote:

We can't talk about it 'cause its apparently a "conspiracy theory" to talk about him being invited back that that they canceled their own appearances.

Rial posted that she was doing it out of "Security reasons" and that she would plan an external meet-up.

Honestly, I"m glad they're not going and that Vic is from all that I have heard.

And personally, I will not be buying anything from Funimation ever again. At least not directly. I boycotted a game years ago and I have yet to buy that game. Will only buy it used it I ever do.

Really, it was just so bizarre that they would feel "obligated" or not to cancel someone with zero factual evidence in the matter to begin with especially when he is the voice of the movie that just made craptons of money for the franchise that the con is about.

Oh yes the VA of a character who just now gained some measure of relevance after spending his entire existence as a non-canon screaming brute who didn’t even talk much to begin with in the actual movie proper (seriously Broly spoke like less than 20 lines barring his screams, so Vic is easily replaceable honestly enough)......

In exchange for the VA’s of some of the franchises most iconic & beloved characters including its most well-known female lead & it’s most believed villain alongside VA who voices a very popular character that was also in a successful movie who all ongoing Main Character roles.

Indeed they really did make the equivalent choice right there.

Last edited by Scion Drake on Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:08 am; edited 2 times in total
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:08 am Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
Lady Multi wrote:
xstylus wrote:

Oh yes the VA of a character who just now gained some measure of relavence after spending his entire existence as a non-canon screaming brute in exchange for the VA’s of some of the franchises most iconic & beloved characters including its most well-known female lead & it’s most believed villain alongside VA who voices a very popular character that was also in a successful movie.

Indeed they really did make the equivalent choice right there.

You mean.. ONE of the voice-actors that have played that character. There are going to be other Bulma VA at the convention, one missing will not be missed. The title character of the newest movie? Yes, that one will be missed.

Besides, it's the VA's money that they are losing, the con won't really lose anything.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:15 am Reply with quote
Lady Multi wrote:
You mean.. ONE of the voice-actors that have played that character. There are going to be other Bulma VA at the convention, one missing will not be missed. The title character of the newest movie? Yes, that one will be missed.

Besides, it's the VA's money that they are losing, the con won't really lose anything.

Eh it’s not like the character is beloved for his voice-acting. It’s hard to get attached to the voice of a character who doesn’t ever speak for the majority of the movie. The fight scenes is what sells Broly, not much else.

[EDIT: Removed excessive quote nesting. - Key]
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:24 am Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
Lady Multi wrote:

Eh it’s not like the character is beloved for his voice-acting. It’s hard to get attached to the voice of a character who doesn’t ever speak for the majority of the movie. The fight scenes is what sells Broly, not much else.

Then you agree not having the missing VAs that have canceled makes no difference to the convention. Thanks. Funny you said different just prior comment about their cancellation about how not having such "beloved characters" and "popular characters" is so bad.

To the TA of DBZSuper, they don't care which Bulma or Vegeta they meet. But not being able to meet Broly, whooo boy.

EDIT: Removed excessive quote-nesting. Really, guys, you shouldn't be quoting back more than two levels. - Key]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10