• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba (TV + movie) (w/ index).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:44 am Reply with quote

Season 01: Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba (TV)
Movie: Demon Slayer: Mugen Train (movie) (discussion starts here)
Season 01.5 (movie compilation) Demon Slayer: Mugen Train (TV)
Season 02: Demon Slayer: Entertainment District Arc (TV) (discussion starts here)
Season 03: Demon Slayer: Swordsmith Village Arc (TV) (discussion starts here)
Season 04: Demon Slayer: Hashira Training Arc (TV)

Source: Manga (completed @ 23 Volumes, by Koyohaku Gotouge)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: Ufotable

Genres: action, comedy, drama, horror, supernatural, thriller

Themes: coming-of-age, demons, gore, historical, martial arts, monsters, revenge, swordplay, Taishou era, tragedy

Plot Summary: Since ancient times, rumors have abounded of man-eating demons lurking in the woods. Because of this, the local townsfolk never venture outside at night. Legend has it that a demon slayer also roams the night, hunting down these bloodthirsty demons. For young Tanjiro, these rumors will soon to become his harsh reality. Ever since the death of his father, Tanjiro has taken it upon himself to support his family.

Although their lives may be hardened by tragedy, they've found happiness. But that ephemeral warmth is shattered one day when Tanjiro finds his family slaughtered and the lone survivor, his sister Nezuko, turned into a demon. To his surprise, however, Nezuko still shows signs of human emotion and thought. Thus begins Tanjiro's request to fight demons and turn his sister human again.

Air Date & Platform:
Season 01: April 6, 2019 (Saturday)
Available on: Crunchyroll, FUNimation

Movie: October 16, 2020 (Friday)

Season 01.5: October 10, 2021 (Sunday)

Season 02: December 5, 2021 (Sunday)

Season 03: April 9, 2023 (Sunday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Season 04: May 12, 2024 (Sunday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime:
Season 01: 26 episodes
Movie: 119 minutes
Season 01.5: 7 episodes
Season 02: 11 episodes
Season 03: 11 episodes
Season 04: Pending

Total: 55 episodes
----------------------------------

EPISODE INDEX

(Clicking on the episode will take you to Tony K.'s post that has a summary, comments, and screen-caps)

(Note: The arc names are fan-made, but will hopefully help break the series down for easier time management or binge-watching)

- Season 01 (Unwavering Resolve)

(Final Selection)
Episode 01: Cruelty
Episode 02: Trainer Urokodaki Sakonji
Episode 03: Sabito and Makomo
Episode 04: Final Selection
Episode 05: My Own Steel

(Kidnapper's Bog)
Episode 06: Swordsman Accompanying a Demon
Episode 07: Kibutsuji Muzan

(Asakusa)
Episode 08: The Smell of Enchanting Blood
Episode 09: Temari Demon and Arrow Demon
Episode 10: Together Forever

(Tsuzumi Mansion)
Episode 11: Tsuzumi Mansion
Episode 12: The Boar Bares Its Fangs, Zenitsu Sleeps
Episode 13: Something More Important Than Life
Episode 14: The House with the Wisteria Family Crest

(Mount Natagumo)
Episode 15: Mount Natagumo
Episode 16: Letting Someone Else Go First
Episode 17: You Must Master a Single Thing

Episode 18: A Forged Bond
Episode 19: Hinokami
Episode 20: Pretend Family
Episode 21: Against Corps Rules

(Rehabilitation)
Episode 22: Master of the Mansion
Episode 23: Hashira Meeting
Episode 24: Rehabilitation Training
Episode 25: Tsuguko, Kanao Tsuyuri
Episode 26: New Mission

OP1 (w/ Lyrics) "Crimson Lotus" by Lisa
ED1 (w/ Lyrics) "From the Edge" by FictionJunction feat. Lisa

- (Movie) Mugen Train

(00:00 - 20:00): Part 1
(20:01 - 40:00): Part 2
(40:01 - 60:00): Part 3
(60:01 - 80:00): Part 4
(80:01 - 100:00): Part 5
(100:01 - 119:00): Part 6

ED Theme (w/ Lyrics): "Flame" by Lisa

-Season 01.5 (Mugen Train TV Edit)

Episode 27 (S01.5E01): Flame Hashira Rengoku Kyoujurou
Episode 28 (S01.5E02): Deep Sleep
Episode 29 (S01.5E03): Should Have Been
Episode 30 (S01.5E04): Insult

Episode 31 (S01.5E05): Move Forward
Episode 32 (S01.5E06): Akaza
Episode 33 (S01.5E07): Set Your Heart Ablaze

OP1.5 (w/ Lyrics): "Morning Star" by Lisa
ED1.5 (w/ Lyrics): "White Silver" by Lisa

-Season 02 (Entertainment District)

Episode 34 (S02E01): Sound Hashira Uzui Tengen
Episode 35 (S02E02): Infiltrating the Entertainment District
Episode 36 (S02E03): What Are You?

Episode 37 (S02E04): Tonight
Episode 38 (S02E05): Things Are gonna Get Real Flashy!!
Episode 39 (S02E06): Layered Memories
Episode 40 (S02E07): Transformation

Episode 41 (S02E08): Gathering
Episode 42 (S02E09): Defeating an Upper Rank Demon
Episode 43 (S02E10): Never Give Up
Episode 44 (S02E11): No Matter How Many Lives

OP2 (w/ Lyrics): "Song of Reverberation" by Aimer
ED2 (w/ Lyrics): "Daybreak" by Aimer

-Season 03 (Swordsmith Village)

Episode 45 (S03E01): Someone's Dream
Episode 46 (S03E02): Yoriichi Type Zero
Episode 47 (S03E03): A Sword from Over 300 Years Ago

Episode 48 (S03E04): Thank You, Tokitou
Episode 49 (S03E05): Bright Red Blade
Episode 50 (S03E06): Aren't You Going to be a Hashira?
Episode 51 (S03E07): Awful Villain

Episode 52 (S03E08): The Mu in Muichiro
Episode 53 (S03E09): Mist Hashira Tokitou Muichirou
Episode 54 (S03E10): Love Hashira Kanroji
Episode 55 (S03E11): The Connected Bonds: Daybreak and First Light

OP3 (w/ Lyrics): "Miracle of Bonds" by Man with a Mission
ED3 (w/ Lyrics): "Yearning" by Milet

-Season 04 (Hashira Training)

Pending
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:55 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Interesting start, it introduced protagonist Tanjirou along with the fictional setting of their world. The animation quality looks great and it didn't take long for him to encounter a bloody scene in the first episode. Oh Nezuko...

Not just her though but seeing those sights of death is really tragic. The catch is that Nezuko didn't die and is instead shown as a demon.

On most parts, I think the episode was executed well. Even felt the music had a consistent feel to it. This was probably also the most emotional and impactful episode for its premiere out of the other Spring titles so far. I want more!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Ufotable has an established track record for shows with heavy action set-pieces, but for them to take on an ongoing Shonen Jump series is breaking new ground for them. Regardless, this first episode has a very powerful hook and there's every reason for casual viewers to keep watching to see what happens to the sibling duo going forward. Reportedly the first five episodes of this adaptation were made into a short film which has had its limited run in Japan, so everyone else worldwide will have to wait until May before catching up with those who'd watched the movie.

Tanjirou so far ticks all the boxes for the archetypal "good" protagonist; he supports his family through charcoal sales no matter the weather and is a good older brother/surrogate father figure to his five(!) younger siblings and widowed mother. Nezuko appears to be the eldest of the daughters and is the only survivor of the family massacre but at a terrible cost. Tanjirou's day couldn't get any worse having seen his whole family butchered and his only surviving relative transformed into a cannibalistic demon who needs a muzzle, but he's not giving up and is taking Nezuko along.

So Tomioka Giyuu is one of the Demon Slayers Saburo was referring to, but he seems regretful he couldn't arrive earlier to save Tanjirou's family. Still, had he decapitated Nezuko with the many opportunities he had this episode there wouldn't be much more of a story to tell, so it's good that he's given Tanjirou a target location and person to move to.

If the animation at the end is any indication, Tanjirou eventually trains up to be a demon slayer himself. The process by which he gets there should be an interesting watch.
miketan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:15 pm Reply with quote
action filled and good cgi.

nice storyline in episode one.

Tanjirou fights with Giyu Tomioka is an interesting one.
i wonder how Tanjirou learnt to be a skillful fighter with his amateur direct attack style.

this is one promising anime!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:42 pm Reply with quote
That was a nice first episode. Like all it took was the opening shot with the desperately running through the snow that made me start appreciating it. I see now that Ufotable is attached, so that explain the looking really good thing, but I also think that looking good isn't the end all. It did create some nice impactful moments, especially when the demonic sister seemed to have some senses and channelled some of her rage to try and protect her brother. So far I am more interested to see how the sister has and can overcome the demon urges.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:47 am Reply with quote
I recognized Sakurai Takahiro immediately upon his arrival. He's just one of an impressive cast of veterans that ufotable recruited for this show. I don't think this show will be as bleak as Dororo, but who can tell after one episode.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:27 am Reply with quote
Wonderful setting, great atmosphere, a fantastic set up- that since it's based on an going manga may not go anywhere anytime soon but what really sold the show to me was its color pallatte/effects. If the spells in the show look ANYTHING like they do in that ending/opener then this show will be a visual feast. It's such a simple idea- if you're using CG animation then why not go the extra step and do CG cell animation on top of that- but to go the extra step by setting up a colorless beginning in a black and white- and red- world is a great idea.

And this is coming from someone who hates Ufotable's Fate/Stay shows- and that other show they did; Not that one, the other one. And I don't even mind the fact its from WSJ...

It's WSJ; Expectations in check in 3, 2, 1..

It's alright.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:09 pm Reply with quote

If there's one takeaway from this episode, it's the strengths and abilities of the cannibalistic oni.

1. Incredibly strong.
2. Ridiculously fast regeneration.
3. Capable of regrowing multiple limbs from severed heads.
4. Able to manipulate hair as a tool to grab objects.
5. Can only "reproduce" by exposing human open wounds to Oni blood.

Weakness:
1. Instant death if exposed to sunlight.

I'm rusty with Japanese mythology, but some of the monster attributes have parallels in the Western mythology of Vampires. Maybe they were developed independently of each other, but for this show the Oni are a dangerous foe so the Demon slayers Tanjirou is training up in an attempt to join their ranks must be seriously hardcore. His sister Nezuko can still understand human speech and will come to her brother's aid when he's in mortal danger, but she won't talk because of the bamboo muzzle. I wonder why she didn't release it when taking on the headless Oni's torso.

Just as well Tanjirou has an unusually thick cranium and a superhuman sense of smell. Without either trait he would have failed the mountain running test (and possibly died or got a concussion after getting smacked behind the head by a log).

Very nice ED animation and a decent song fitting the series atmosphere. The post-ED trailer has most of the comedic elements of the episode and reminds viewers that it's set in the Taishou era (early 20th century).
miketan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:36 pm Reply with quote
wow wow wow
excellent episode 2
a dash of humor in the opening
lesser death gores in this episode

Nezuko's cute side is still there despite being a demon now
Tanjirou's training pre-assesment is so tough and yet he is able to overcome them
the background music throughout this chapter is perfectly timed

it's a long wait till the next episode.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:07 pm Reply with quote

It's inevitable there's one episode focused on training Tanjirou to use all of the flashy water-based swordplay he exhibits in the OP movie, and this week is it. It takes him two years, but he's graduated from a boy fortunate enough to survive an encounter with cannibalistic Oni (with help from his own Oni sister) to a warrior capable of slicing through rock.

His sister Nezuko appears to have entered a coma since she went to sleep after her exertions last episode. The good older brother keeps a diary in hopes of regaling his sister of his exploits, and to never forget what he's enduring physical hell for.

The mysterious pair with the masks only appeared six months after Urokodaki abandoned Tanjirou to his final task. If they wanted to test his resolve, he passed that test but did he really waste six months of his time and effort making no headway against that rock for nothing? Regardless, the pair were fine teachers. Sabito takes charge of the practical aspects while Makomo instils proper theory and foundation. Nice balance of Yin and Yang.

This week really feels like preparation for what's to come, especially as the movie which distilled the first five episodes into a feature-length piece has this week as the midpoint. It is next week and the one after that will determine what end-product Tanjirou will become from the training depending on his results in the Final Selection.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:42 pm Reply with quote
It seems pretty implausible that someone like Tanjirou would be literate given the historical period.

Has his sister been receiving nourishment while she's in a coma? Or does her demon side make it unnecessary?
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:45 pm Reply with quote
The first episode suggested that Tanjirou was pretty clever when dealing with his shortcomings with the hatchet trick. I'm a little sad that his training is about succeeding in the most straightforward way possible by just becoming stronger and faster.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:54 am Reply with quote
I've been going through season 2 of Seven Deadly Sins finally and that one has reminded me of how much I dislike straight WSJ style fighting shonen. Take their "tournament" "arc" for example or their approach to "getting stronger" or "training". The guy who believably destroys the notion of the latter two literally destroys the first one with almost a 4th wall breaking "We're not doing that. I'm doing this instead." It's just so refreshing to me.

This is not that show. This is WSJ.

Episode 3. Oh boy...
There is just so much I don't like about this episode which comes down to being in WSJ. The writer tried to poke fun at it with the sister going into a coma... she's going to be "unchanged" while Tanjiro gets "stronger", ha... but he also just points out how unnecessary it all is by listing how his sister changed by turning into a demon complete with a "other powers to be determined" note. But that's juts the prologue to the episode, we the audience have to waste an entire episode detailing how the guy mastered a ridiculous sword stroke with a promise/threat of a conclusion/continuation

Just do a three year time skip and give him an unknown but complete set of powers and unveil them as needed. Is this going to be one of those shows that's more about "fighting" and "rivals" than its actual premise?

WSJ... Oh man...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:04 am Reply with quote
Kind of crazy that the episode spanned 2 years, with his sister kind of just thrown into a coma rather than anything happen with her.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:54 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
It seems pretty implausible that someone like Tanjirou would be literate given the historical period.

The rural setting for most of the series so far made me think this show takes place in an earlier period. Actually it is set in the Taishou period (1912-1926). Someone in another forum pointed out the electric poles seen in the first episode. Mandatory elementary education was established in Japan in 1872.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 12