• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Kameha Con Responds to Recent Guest Cancellations

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:50 pm Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:

Lynx Raven Raide wrote:
I'm kind of wondering where Funimation's stance is on this. The reason I say this is that this is a Dragon Ball themed con, to which they have the NA distribution rights to (and by defacto most of the English world) which means Kameha Con probably would have had to do a deal with them to promote it, am I correct? They may be locked in this year, but it does make me wonder if they may pull support from future Kameha Cons because of it.

The owner previously mentioned he might not do it again next year because of all this drama. But that was before he invited Vic back and got a lot of positive feedback so maybe he'll changed his mind depending how well the con goes. It would suck if it got canned. It's pretty close to me and an easy enough drive. Besides it would look pretty bad on Funimation's part to kill a Dragonball convention over this. Another factor to consider is Toei. I wonder how Toei feels about all this drama stinking up the Dragonball name in America.
I wouldn't exactly say they have gotten positive feedback given cancellations by some and others openly stating they can't cancel due to this being announced after the deadline has passed (artists wanting to pull out). Not to mention, this is the internet so I wonder how much of that positive response does equal to con goers, and how much of that crowd would you really want going to your convention given their reputation. Sure, there might be some legitimate fans wanting to go now, but given the toxicity on that side* and the fact this is a Dragonball con and not a Vic Mignogna con it has a high possibility of damaging their reputation for the future.
As for Funimation, ignorance of safety and questionable dealings would be more than reasonable enough justification for pulling out in the future. Even though they are not named as sponsor, the fact they are the current NA physical distributor and hold the English translation licence for Dragonball they would still be defacto linked to the con and this decision. In the case of the former above, given their own investigation knowing the fact the con has done what they have done and the position they have put their own people still under contract in would make any business owner question association with the con. In the case of the latter, not allowing refunds to stall owners and con goers who have chosen not to attend because of their decision to me is questionable. You can argue venue costs etc but this was their decision so the onus should fall on them to cover any losses due to it, not the exhibitors nor patrons. This to me goes for the guests too. We know of who has pulled out but it makes me wonder how many others would have wanted to but can't, such as Chris Sabat.
Toei... Well they could see that as being an American thing, if they actually know about what's going on, which, given how many in the Japanese industry either don't know or are surprised about controversies surrounding their products, it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't.

*Personal belief, there is toxicity on both sides, but even to a reasonable person like myself it does seem like his "supporters" are worse. And the quotations there are because I wonder how many are supporters and how many are ring-ins jumping in on this, and that goes for the other side too.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Ashley Hakker wrote:
I dunno if the situation would really be called 'Positive Feedback'. From a con-operations perspective, things got FAR more complicated this week. Guest relations are now a mess. It's bad that the con itself had to formally announce that it had made amicable separations with it's exiting guests because far to many people were screaming about how the con would surely punish those voice actors. Increased security costs. A mad dash for replacement guests to fill in content holes. Reworking the schedule that was probably nearly complete. You see 'Positive Feedback' and I see the makings of an ulcer.

I interpreted their Tweets completely differently. Rial said she cancelled because KamehaCon was unsafe. KamehaCon retorted they took safety very seriously and praised their convention security staff and Texas law enforcement. I took those as a rebuttal to Rial's claim that the convention was unsafe. Their statements came off very curt and matter-of-factly to me, like they were putting their foot down on the issues that were popping up. "KamehaCon is absolutely safe" "Discussions with guests who have withdrawn will be handled privately and professionally" "Kamehameha is first and foremost about Dragonball and the fans"

Lynx Raven Raide wrote:
I wouldn't exactly say they have gotten positive feedback given cancellations by some and others openly stating they can't cancel due to this being announced after the deadline has passed (artists wanting to pull out). Not to mention, this is the internet so I wonder how much of that positive response does equal to con goers, and how much of that crowd would you really want going to your convention given their reputation. Sure, there might be some legitimate fans wanting to go now, but given the toxicity on that side* and the fact this is a Dragonball con and not a Vic Mignogna con it has a high possibility of damaging their reputation for the future.

Yeah, that's why I said depending how the turnout is. But as of right now they have more guests going than they did before Vic was announced. Five dropped after the Vic announcement, but then they announced six new guests so right now they're at +1, not counting Vic himself. From what I saw on Twitter people were @ing them asking if there were any panel openings but KamehaCon said they were already receiving tons of emails from applicants. It sounds like to me people are blowing all this drama up bigger than it really is. I don't think the average convention goer really cares about this internet drama. They just want to have fun at a con.
supersqueak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:27 pm Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
Ashley Hakker wrote:
I dunno if the situation would really be called 'Positive Feedback'. From a con-operations perspective, things got FAR more complicated this week. Guest relations are now a mess. It's bad that the con itself had to formally announce that it had made amicable separations with it's exiting guests because far to many people were screaming about how the con would surely punish those voice actors. Increased security costs. A mad dash for replacement guests to fill in content holes. Reworking the schedule that was probably nearly complete. You see 'Positive Feedback' and I see the makings of an ulcer.

I interpreted their Tweets completely differently. Rial said she cancelled because KamehaCon was unsafe. KamehaCon retorted they took safety very seriously and praised their convention security staff and Texas law enforcement. I took those as a rebuttal to Rial's claim that the convention was unsafe. Their statements came off very curt and matter-of-factly to me, like they were putting their foot down on the issues that were popping up. "KamehaCon is absolutely safe" "Discussions with guests who have withdrawn will be handled privately and professionally" "Kamehameha is first and foremost about Dragonball and the fans"

Lynx Raven Raide wrote:

Yeah, that's why I said depending how the turnout is. But as of right now they have more guests going than they did before Vic was announced. Five dropped after the Vic announcement, but then they announced six new guests so right now they're at +1, not counting Vic himself. From what I saw on Twitter people were @ing them asking if there were any panel openings but KamehaCon said they were already receiving tons of emails from applicants. It sounds like to me people are blowing all this drama up bigger than it really is. I don't think the average convention goer really cares about this internet drama. They just want to have fun at a con.

Kameha con is a little different than most anime cons though I think regardless of if one actually supports Vic or not people who were on the fence may decide to come just because of the drama. I don't know if it was before or after the vic announcement but I think them adding Team Four Star into the mix might have gotten more people to come as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8