• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Is Magical Girl Spec-Ops Asuka Worth Watching?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HannoX

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Considering the build of almost all the magical girls (especially Kurumi!) I couldn't help wondering if big boobs were required to become a magical girl or if big boobs were a result of becoming a magical girl. The bigger the boobs the more magical the girl?
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:18 pm Reply with quote
I think it is one of the top 3 shows of the season but the combination of fanservice and violence won't be for everyone. For the most part the violence fit the setting of the show and the only time it felt like it was trying to be edgy was during a few of the torture scenes but even those scenes were moderate compared to shows like Attack on Titan or Berserk. In terms of dark magical girl shows this is easily the best show I have seen in terms of explaining how magical girls would work with the police and military.
TanyaTheEvil

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
I think it is one of the top 3 shows of the season but the combination of fanservice and violence won't be for everyone. For the most part the violence fit the setting of the show and the only time it felt like it was trying to be edgy was during a few of the torture scenes but even those scenes were moderate compared to shows like Attack on Titan or Berserk. In terms of dark magical girl shows this is easily the best show I have seen in terms of explaining how magical girls would work with the police and military.

Right on, my sentiments exactly. This is one of the better anime of the season and deserves a much better reviews then it is getting
nargun

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:27 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
At that stage I still felt there was an outside chance Spec-Ops could turn out to be decent

I noped out in about thirty seconds when I saw the magical-girl costumes: magical girls are wish-fulfilment, and pre- and teen girls just don't want to wear that sort of shit. Given the choice between pandering and worldbuilding/thematic soundness, it went the low road right from the get-go.

[it's not like "is this something a thirteen-year-old girl might plausibly want to wear" is that high a barrier, even. Prisma Illya manages it!]
Random Name

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Besides a couple cringe worthy over the top moments I really have been enjoying this each week. I was happy to find it was more action oriented and less kill off everyone for shock value. There was also some nice albeit creepy yuri moments but I'm sure Asuka will come around eventually.
Random Name

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:10 pm Reply with quote
nargun wrote:
I noped out in about thirty seconds when I saw the magical-girl costumes: magical girls are wish-fulfilment, and pre- and teen girls just don't want to wear that sort of shit. Given the choice between pandering and worldbuilding/thematic soundness, it went the low road right from the get-go.

[it's not like "is this something a thirteen-year-old girl might plausibly want to wear" is that high a barrier, even. Prisma Illya manages it!]
You seem to be confusing the real world with a fictional one. Though my guess would be if giant plushies ever did start killing everyone no one is going to give two ##### what clothes you need to wear to stop them.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Oh, dear. I think I'll stick with Witch Hunter Robin.
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:51 pm Reply with quote
It's hardly surprising that ANN thinks it's trash.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:24 pm Reply with quote
nargun wrote:
I noped out in about thirty seconds when I saw the magical-girl costumes: magical girls are wish-fulfilment, and pre- and teen girls just don't want to wear that sort of shit.

Wasn't really trying to start a "who dropped this hot-garbage-potato the fastest" contest, but... Overly-revealing costumes for anime action girls are so ubiquitous that I guess I didn't really notice them over the kooky horror cliches that were already creeping into the first episode. The more blatant examples seen in the review didn't appear until much later. And having been to anime cons, I think you may be underestimating the likelihood of real girls wearing stuff like that; although, of course, that's also a demonstration of how someone "wanting to" wear something isn't straightforward even in real life (got to wear an "accurate" costume even if it's basically a bikini, or you aren't a real fan!).

Anyway, if anyone's looking for an action-girls anime that isn't a load of trashy waifu-xploitation, Kotobuki is, like, right there.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:01 am Reply with quote
ryanvamp wrote:
It's hardly surprising that ANN thinks it's trash.

Though I couldn't in good consciences put it on my "best of season" list (anyone who thinks it's not quite trashy at times hasn't been watching it), it's hands-down my favorite show of the season. So you might want to consider backing off on those broad generalizations.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:57 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
I guess now is the part where I can feel vindicated for having plugged that comic as a (much) better alternative in the preview-guide thread. We've come full circle, apparently.

Ha. Very Happy I don't think I was reading that thread when it was active. I've been reading SD since chapter 3 or 4, I forget which.

And yeah, it's good at featuring horrific trauma without being trashy about it -- everyone remembers Madoka episode 3, but people forget that the show gave that incident two or three episodes to breathe before the next horrible thing happened. I think it might be significant that most of the Suffering™ in Sleepless Domain so far has been confined to one event, and the consequences thereof.

As for Magical Girl Spec-Ops Asuka: The Line, I haven't been watching, so I'm probably not qualified to comment.
Squidslinger

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:20 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised they didn't just make Asuka a guy. For a show so caught up in turning magical girls upside down, they could have done that to really screw with people more. Not be stuck to the old magical girl tropes but bring in another gender factor. Literally if it wasn't for the fan servicey scenes, Asuka could be gender swapped and it wouldn't change much of anything in the story. Sadly, I don't think they could write a series like that without it turning into a dime a dozen harem show. Japanese market seems to just love it's obvious tropes.
TarutoClown93

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:32 am Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
War Nurse Kurumi probably is my favorite character too, but that's not saying too much sadly, maybe she should have just had an anime herself or be the protagonist instead. And at least make her 18 if you're gonna give her a big rack!! Shocked

Girls' assets usually stop growing at age 15 and Kurumi seem to be a bit older than that. I'm perfectly fine with anime highschool girls having big tits as long they aren't large past small bakunyuu-sized, not to mention with Japan's scarce kyonyuu population (let alone if they are underage).
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:52 am Reply with quote
TarutoClown93 wrote:
Sailor Sedna wrote:
War Nurse Kurumi probably is my favorite character too, but that's not saying too much sadly, maybe she should have just had an anime herself or be the protagonist instead. And at least make her 18 if you're gonna give her a big rack!! Shocked

Girls' assets usually stop growing at age 15 and Kurumi seem to be a bit older than that. I'm perfectly fine with anime highschool girls having big tits as long they aren't large past small bakunyuu-sized, not to mention with Japan's scarce kyonyuu population (let alone if they are underage).

The Magical Five range from 16 to 17 yrs old -currently.

During the war-three years prior-the original 11 magical girls ranged from 13 to 18 yrs old.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:57 am Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:

And yeah, where the shit is Pei Pei, the fifth magical girl? Are we gonna get a sense of "false advertising?" I have a feeling she won't show up and then this anime will end on its final episode without adapting the rest of the manga, it seems, and we'll see the release of Half-Life 3 before we get a second season.

Pei Pei makes a cameo...She is the bombshell living the life at that resort in Thailand.
As for why she no longer a short Chinese girl but a big busty blonde-well due to her story line,she needed to change her looks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3