• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best (and worst) Anime of Winter 2019

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigHeadClan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Slime as one of the worst? Not even close.

It faltered a bit in the later part of the season to be sure but it has been one of the most entertaining shows of this season without question.

As for Shield Hero it has been just "Okay" not sure I'd slide it under
it being one of the worst series of the season however.

Feel like a lot of the reviewers got tied up with the first couple episodes and
couldn't simply move on.
Rika Hue

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
From critics' lists, the summary for Best/Runner-Up:

Mob Psycho - 3 votes (all best)
Run With the Wind - 2 (1 best)
The Promised Neverland - 2
Boogiepop and Others - 2
Mysteria Friends - 1 (1 best)
GeGeGe no Kitaro - 1 (1 best)
Meiji Tokyo Renka - 1

+ My Roommate is a Cat - 1
Kaguya-sama Love is War - 2

For me, this season had many great anime, and each had their own strengths:
Mob Psycho - the best wackiest animation plus suprise emotional moments show,
The Promised Neverland - the best life or death puzzle show,
Dororo - the best classical remake show,
My Roommate is a Cat - the best snuggling with a cat show,
Reincarnated as a slime - the best civilization creation and best protagonist show,
Kaguya-sama - the best comedy show with the best eccentric direction, the best intrusive narrator, the best wing girl, and the best opening,
Fairy tail (Final series) - The best nostalgic and redeeming of its miserable previous season show,
Jojo's Part 5 Golden Wind - The best at being a Jojo show,
etc.

I really need to catch up on Run with the wind OTL. Someone bluetooth me some motivation please. Yoroshiku.

Last edited by Rika Hue on Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:47 am; edited 2 times in total
SailorHomura

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:02 pm Reply with quote
I’m that one baka who LOVED Asuka. Sure, it’s far from perfect, and the animation could be better and it went crazy sometimes (cough cough spoiler[torture fanservice]cough cough), but in the end it’s just the story of a girl facing more than just the normal villain when it comes to fighting evil that gripped me this entire season. I even wrote a fanfiction (and it takes something special to get me to sit down for 23 entire chapters and write write write)
db999

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:31 pm Reply with quote
I only watched 3 shows this season so it’s a really easy list

Promised Neverland is obviously number 1. It’s a really tout thriller, that constantly keeps me on the edge of my seat. The animation is really good, but what really elevates the show is its shot composition and cinematography. My only huge complaints are around Sister Krone who just feels out of place in this show, almost like she’s from a completely different series. Can’t wait for the finale tomorrow.

Sword Art Online Alicization is at number 2. This season really impressed me. I enjoyed the first half of the first season and all of season 2, but this is a pretty big step up in terms of quality. It has thus far been devoid of awkwardly placed and off-putting fan service, and really contrived plot details. I hope that the next season, which looks like we won’t be getting until next year, can continue the trend. I’m also now convinced that binging is the best way to enjoy this show, I didn’t start watching until 2 weeks ago and I don’t think I would have liked it quite as much if I was watching weekly.

Boruto isn’t a bad show, but this season has been really uneven. We got a pretty good conclusion to the story arc that started off strong last year, a weak and meandering middle part notwithstanding, before going into a few bland filler episodes, a charming side story focusing on the parents and kids, and a pretty strong beginning to a new story arc. Not the best it’s been, and not the worst, that was the bandit story arc from last winter.

I watched the first 3 episodes of Boogiepop when the series began before I stopped watching after that, have been keeping up with reviews though. Now that the series is over I rewatched the first 3 episodes and am going to start binging the show, so I could end up putting this at number two later on.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:07 pm Reply with quote
My favorite and least favorite go to Dororo and Shieldbro, for reasons other people have mentioned, with the note that there are probably shows that I'd like less than Shieldbro and I just didn't bother watching any of them. I don't feel obligated to watch an episode of something if it's obvious from the summary that I won't like it.

With that said, my runner-up that almost nobody is talking about is Kemurikusa, which does an amazing job of environmental storytelling despite having very obvious constraints. It's also got my favorite opening and ending of the season, which is a lot to say in a season that has Dororo. It took a while to get moving, but the last few episodes have really ratcheted up the tension, and I hope it nails the ending.
Gwydion

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Best: Mob Psycho 100 II - I did not expect this one to come out on top, but the first episode blew me away, and it rarely dipped from there. I felt that the characters and stories were much stronger this season, and the animation - from the big spectacles to the small character acting - was absolutely gorgeous. It surprised me in the best of ways, and has become a new favorite of mine. Can't wait for the finale!

Runner Up: The Promised Neverland - I really like the way this one has been adapted from its source material. I liked the "show don't tell" approach for the most part with the missing internal monologues, and the music was great. I felt the bookends were stronger than the middle, but this could be at least partially due to already knowing the story. Most of all I've been enjoying my sister's reactions, though, as she hasn't read the manga, haha.

I'll leave my worst unnamed, but in short, I have never gone from loving to hating a series so fast. There are elements of it I would still very much enjoy, but the way it handled one plot point was such a massive turn off, and it's not the sort that can just be ignored in my book.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Gwydion wrote:
I'll leave my worst unnamed, but in short, I have never gone from loving to hating a series so fast. There are elements of it I would still very much enjoy, but the way it handled one plot point was such a massive turn off, and it's not the sort that can just be ignored in my book.

You can't just drop that on us and leave us hanging, though I'll give you benefit of the doubt and leave the pestering to the rest.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Best
Mob Psycho 100. I'm one episode behind but unless the two last episodes are absolutely disappointing it's got its spot as the best of the season guaranteed. Nothing's even close to it, on pretty much all levels except music (I don't like the new OP, bite me)

Second best
Kaguya has been pretty good. Ishigami is terrible sometimes and I feel like he's supposed to be some kind of audience surrogate which is double terrible, but aside from that it's pretty great. It has the best OP.

The ones I'm not enjoying as much
Dororo and Neverland have had less than stellar episodes here and there. Animation for one and direction for the other are pretty top notch, but I can't say I care much for the characters in either. Also, the OPs suck (again, bite me)

The one I'm actually enjoying the most
Index III, somefuckinghow. It just revived my interest in the community (which I was pretty invested into!), revived my interest in the novels (I used to be usually late into reading them and just read the last one as soon as it got translated), and honestly my memory is so terrible at least 30% of it were things I'd forgotten even happened in the story. Animation and direction may be passable whenever it's not terrible but goddamn if I don't love my three dumb boys (the spike boy, the edge boy and the lucky boy). It also has the best OP (I can choose two best OPs, bite me)
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Best: Mob Psycho 100 II - Easily takes my top spot of the season and almost certainly makes my top 5 of the year. I thought the first season was great, but I think this season is the one that truly impressed me. The animation is phenomenal of course, like the last season (but even more so) but what really made the difference was the story this time around. The first season did take a bit to click with me, and of course the second season does not have that problem, but I was most impressed at the emotional depth it showed on a number of occasions, that I didn't notice, at least to the same extent, while the first season was airing. It was one of if not the first show I saw this season (saw the premiere in theaters) and has been the very first show I would watch every week (starting from Mondays) and it is in my opinion (and a number of other here and elsewhere) the first in every other regard as well.

Runnerup: Kaguya - There is more competition for this spot than the first, but I think of all of the other shows beneath Mob Psycho this season, Kaguya was the one I was most excited for, and my first choice on the always busy Saturdays. A contender for best comedy, but has a lot of heart and doesn't wear out its jokes. I might even go so far as to say this is director Mamoru Hatakeyama's best work second only to the two seasons of Rakugo. It is also another entry in the list of "This, too, is A-1".

Worst: What else but the surprise sequel to arguably the worst anime of the last decade if not longer?

Honorable Mentions: Slime, Dororo, Neverland, Run with the Wind, Boogiepop, My Roommate is a Cat

Glad Theron gave a nod to Manaria...er Mysteria Friends, which is I'd say among the best shorts in recent years, at the very least in terms of production. I'd also like to mention Ekoda-chan while we're talking about shorts (though not so much if you watch the after show, and I do), especially the second half.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:30 pm Reply with quote
I don't generally keep watching a show if I'm not enjoying it, and I only tend to watch 3 or 4 shows a season, so I won't say anything about a "worst" show.

Best - Mob Psycho 100
I have nothing original to say about this one. Its just that good.

Most surprisingly good - Kaguya sama
I wasn't expecting to stick around for this one, I found episode 1 alright and by 2 the schtick was already getting repetitive. I stopped watching it weekly and probably wouldn't have returned except I heard a ton of buzz about the ED for ep 3. I went back and binged like 3-6 in one sitting, and after that I was hooked. Look, I have a stupid sense of humor, and this show made me laugh harder than I have for an anime in years. It's just an entertaining little show that is well put together and has a good heart, and I kind of need that every once in a while.

After reading people talking, I've made up my mind to go back and watch Kitaro more. I watched up to episode 15 or so and then wandered away. I enjoyed my time with it, I just sort of got distracted, but reading about how people have apparently really enjoyed the show since then, I'm convinced to give it another shot.

People really love Dororo too, and it sounds like it's sort of my speed so I may try it out.

I really liked Railgun back in the day, and found Index I to be a reasonably satisfying substitute when I ran out of episodes, but Index III just felt bloated to me and didn't give any screentime to anyone that I actually cared about. I was wondering if I should go back and see if it got better, bu judging from the overall response here I guess I can leave it alone and work on my hype for the Spring season, instead.
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:07 pm Reply with quote
GodEmperorLeto wrote:
"human slavery as its primary plot mechanic" is so wrong though... the primary plot mechanic is still being summoned into the world and fight off waves. The slavery use is more a subsidiary of that because he has no other options. Still think people get stuck on that themselves and over inflate it in the show more than the creator does. Is the slavery element ideal? No. But his whole circumstance is not ideal. Honestly, people also who haven't realized in the LN and the Manga it shows how horrible slavery is (with slaves being abused, not by Naofumi, though that's web novel stuff and web novels are almost never the same of the final product and much later as well as other circumstances) so it's not like it's saying 'SLAVERY IS GREAT!'. Seriously, people gotta realize their bias.

Shield Hero isn't what I'd call great, btw. It's just 'ok'.

Honestly surprised none of you talk about 'how bad Wataten is' then cause that has pedophilia creepiness. WHile most of it is cutesy/wholesome, Miyako is creepy with Hana. That would bother me more than the slavery aspect in the way it's used in Shield Hero.
Um, yeah, agree here. Reading those responses on the main posting, it made me wonder if they had watched past the first episode, let alone watched the same anime I was watching. The whole "slavery" thing didn't really come off as slavery at all, to be honest with the way he treated them, and the fact Raphtalia actually still sided with him after the controlling mark was removed kinda shows there is more to it. To me, even her getting it reapplied seemed more her idea of a bond with him than master-slave relations. But that being said, it isn't even the central point of the whole story, and neither is the Malty situation either.

But yeah, I guess it is seeing medium with your own personal bias than actually paying attention to the story its telling...
Zeino

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Mob Psycho 100 II is the clear winner of the season by some distant. It is just that good. Though Promised Neverland, Dororo and JoJo: Golden Wind, the survivor of Fall 2018 race neck and neck not that far away behind it and Boogiepop leads up the rear of the top five as it didn't as start off as promising as the others but has certainly gotten there now.

Ask for Kaguya-sama, It's a very fun and cute show but I think it's concept wasn't enough for even 12 episodes. Miyuki and Kaguya not confessing their real feelings for each other can only be enticing for me for so long before getting restless.

Last edited by Zeino on Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Raven Raide wrote:
GodEmperorLeto wrote:
"human slavery as its primary plot mechanic" is so wrong though... the primary plot mechanic is still being summoned into the world and fight off waves. The slavery use is more a subsidiary of that because he has no other options. Still think people get stuck on that themselves and over inflate it in the show more than the creator does. Is the slavery element ideal? No. But his whole circumstance is not ideal. Honestly, people also who haven't realized in the LN and the Manga it shows how horrible slavery is (with slaves being abused, not by Naofumi, though that's web novel stuff and web novels are almost never the same of the final product and much later as well as other circumstances) so it's not like it's saying 'SLAVERY IS GREAT!'. Seriously, people gotta realize their bias.

Shield Hero isn't what I'd call great, btw. It's just 'ok'.

Honestly surprised none of you talk about 'how bad Wataten is' then cause that has pedophilia creepiness. WHile most of it is cutesy/wholesome, Miyako is creepy with Hana. That would bother me more than the slavery aspect in the way it's used in Shield Hero.
Um, yeah, agree here. Reading those responses on the main posting, it made me wonder if they had watched past the first episode, let alone watched the same anime I was watching. The whole "slavery" thing didn't really come off as slavery at all, to be honest with the way he treated them, and the fact Raphtalia actually still sided with him after the controlling mark was removed kinda shows there is more to it. To me, even her getting it reapplied seemed more her idea of a bond with him than master-slave relations. But that being said, it isn't even the central point of the whole story, and neither is the Malty situation either.

But yeah, I guess it is seeing medium with your own personal bias than actually paying attention to the story its telling...

Everything here is the same thing I've seen from countless other people trying to defend Shield Hero. "He's nice to her so it's *okay* that she's his slave" is a common theme in many of these kinds of stories. I said before that the story constantly bends over backwards to justify Naofumi being a garbage person who does garbage things and this is just more of that. "There's a bunch of awful slaveowners out there but this one guy is a-ok because of reasons!" is pretty much implying that there is ever a time where slavery could ever be considered okay. He could easily just free her and hire her as a bodyguard or a servant or whatever but he can't because muh trust issues.

And you know what, I could forgive *all* of that if the narrative actually committed to Naofumi being an incredibly warped person and not someone we were supposed to find heroic, but it doesn't. We're supposed to find him a misunderstood victim who does nothing wrong, and everyone *else* is actually an unlikable twat who can never do anything right so Naofumi can look like a super cool guy who always saves the day.

It's all just super lame and trite.

As for comparing this to Wataten, at least that show's problematic aspects can be glossed over in favor of it's good points, and those problematic aspects don't show up as often as you would think, especially later on. But Raphtalia's very existence is a *constant* reminder of where Shield Hero's priorities and beliefs are, and even if you wanted to ignore those elements, the rest of the show doesn't really have much else to offer, just bland isekai flavor that's been done in countless other shows, often better.

But this isn't a Shield Hero thread so this will likely be my only response to this.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Rebecca Silverman on Magical Girl Spec-Ops Asuka wrote:

To be clear, I don't hate this show. It's more that I feel like my dad whenever I did something stupid – I'm disappointed in it. At the outset, Magical Girl Spec-Ops Asuka was set to delve into the consequences of war on the soldiers' psyche. Asuka, in her magical girl identity as Rapture, fought in a bloody, vicious war and now in her late teens is suffering from PTSD. She's trying to distance herself from her experiences while still struggling with them, and it made for a really interesting difference from other dark magical girl shows. The balance between Asuka and her fellow magical girl survivors – War Nurse Kurumi is totally unhinged – was thoughtful, and if that had to be balanced out with fanservice, that was okay. The problems came when torture scenes

. . sigh . . .this show. . .I do not know what to do with this anime. Ever since watching that episode I have not gone back as I am uncertain if I should. Watching that episode left me feeling not good internally with being exhausted after feeling so much dread and intense stress from watching that episode, and not just for the fact a character I was taking a liking to was going through this, bu the whole ordeal itself on edge. What made it worse was that apparently what happen shook me so much that this feeling lasted for almost a week (especially in the mornings). Never had I felt this way before and I spent almost that week trying to make sense of what I was feeling as well as seek advice on how to cope with it, which range from constantly searching online until I finally found one article written by someone who went through a similar experience to talking to a few friends and some of the members of the discord servers I am apart of (with the latter trying to present it in a hypothetical manner since I did not want reveal what I was going through but they caught on immediately). In term of coping listening to relaxing music/sounds helped with calming what I was feeling.

During that time I was suggested by many that I should drop whatever I was watching (I did not tell the people on discord the title of the anime I was watching with the exception of two I was sending messages to), especially if it knew if it was going to get worse. However I was not sure how worse things could get as the events that happen in that episode was continuing in the next episode (even though the worse of it had pass). In the end I decided to take the same approach the person who wrote the article I read did and take a break from watching it, which has lasted for weeks now.

Once in a while I wonder if I should return to watching Magical Girl Spec-Ops Asuka or not. It's nice to learn that the story does have some shinny moments since the last time I watch it, but . .I am not sure if I want to see the after math of the events that happen in that happen after particular episode and the one that follows at the present. Plus. . I do not want to witness anything like that again, and I take it by what was written that there are probably more scenes like what I saw in that episode.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

In terms of my favorite, runner up and least favorite shows of the season, I have not gotten around to seeing everything so far and some of the shows I am watching are still going so I have not made a full decision on what I like most from this season, but here is what I have so far.

For best anime it's looking to be between the following:

MAPPA's and Tezuka Productions' anime adaptation of Ozamu Tezuka Dororo for an excellent story that weaves concepts of Buddhism in the mix.

CloverWorks' anime adaptation of Kaiu Shirai and Posuka Demizu The Promised Neverland for an engaging story that kept me anticipating for each new episode thanks to the story ending each episode in a cliff hanger. I have not felt this way since watching Madhouse's anime adaptation of Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata Death Note (and I consider that to be one of the top anime I have seen).

A-1 Pictures' anime adaptation of Aka Akasaka Kaguya-sama: Love is War for it's comedic charm. Plus it has by far the best opening presentation I have seen so far this season with the music reminding me of a certain music or band listen to long ago that I can't put my finger on. I just know it's highly likely this show is going to get nominated for best opening for Crunchyroll's next anime awards show.

For runner-ups its the following:

Diomedéa anime adaptation of Kei Sasuga Domestic Girlfriend with its engaging plot of forbidden love as well as having some heart warming moments. It's a shame it's all going to come to a crash in the final episode later this week. The only downside I can say for this anime is that in the semi final episode I cannot help feeling that parts of the story were missing, and from searching discussions online (to see what people thought about what happen in the end of that episode) I learn that this whole time this anime has been skipping some chapters of the manga. However I do not think it's nearly as bad as what happen with Studio VOLN's anime adaptation of Kazuhiro Fujita Karakuri Circus since at least up until now the story has been consistent.

Kinema Citrus' anime adaptation of Aneko Yusagi The Rising of the Shield Hero for it's engaging story of seeing the protagonist overcoming the odds put against him and overtime as a result increasing his renown in the process (in the last episode I have seen he finally has more allies which makes me glad), and seeing him and the sidekick character support each emotionally. The only downside I have with this show is the setting which does not stand out from the other Western European like settings seen in fantasy anime (which I have notice being a problem lately for some fantasy anime/light novels).

GEMBA's and Digital Frontier 's The Magnificent Kotobuki for all the exciting dog fights. Those were the highlight of the series, but I also enjoy the characters. I find it jarring though that some of the characters were CG while the others were in 2D.

Tezuka Productions' The Quintessential Quintuplets for actually being a good harem show compared to some or most of the others I have seen although some parts of the story have the same annoying problem that other harem shows have.

And then there is Yaoyorozu Kemurikusa which despite hearing not so good things about the first episode and there fore keeping my expectations low it surprise me by being as good and engaging then I thought it would be. I actually enjoy seeing the characters exploring the abandon cities while interacting with each other, and this is coming from someone who typically is not into post-apocalyptic stories. To bad the animation is not the best, but considering the person directing this show it's to be expected (and just in case I have yet to see his last work). Besides I would not say it's the worst I have seen animated wise.

For worst anime I have seen so far of this season is Seven Arcs Pictures' Bermuda Triangle: Colorful Pastrale, but only because compared to everything else I have seen I do not feel quite as engage with it. The show itself is not bad, but they could have done so much more with it, especially considering the lore they were working with. While I have not gotten in the Cardfight Vanguard series I have read about this Burmuda Triangle this anime is loosely base around from the wiki page dedicated to the series, and from what I have read it seems so much more interesting compared to what I was seeing in the anime. Plus apparently in that same universe there also exist a clan of mermaids that specialize in combat. And don't get me started with this show's tendency to disregard even the basics of the laws of nature (even by fantasy standards it goes too far). It's kind of strange as I do not mind when Stephen Hillenburg's Spongebog Squarepants does this but it's bothersome when this show does the same. I have been trying to figure out why that is the case for a while now.

If there is one good thing I would say about this anime is that whenever something wonderful phenomenon happens it does a good job with the animated affects making the display both pretty and amazing.

Last edited by Aquasakura on Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:52 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:10 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:

Everything here is the same thing I've seen from countless other people trying to defend Shield Hero. "He's nice to her so it's *okay* that she's his slave" is a common theme in many of these kinds of stories. I said before that the story constantly bends over backwards to justify Naofumi being a garbage person who does garbage things and this is just more of that. "There's a bunch of awful slaveowners out there but this one guy is a-ok because of reasons!" is pretty much implying that there is ever a time where slavery could ever be considered okay. He could easily just free her and hire her as a bodyguard or a servant or whatever but he can't because muh trust issues.

And you know what, I could forgive *all* of that if the narrative actually committed to Naofumi being an incredibly warped person and not someone we were supposed to find heroic, but it doesn't. We're supposed to find him a misunderstood victim who does nothing wrong, and everyone *else* is actually an unlikable twat who can never do anything right so Naofumi can look like a super cool guy who always saves the day.

It's all just super lame and trite.

As for comparing this to Wataten, at least that show's problematic aspects can be glossed over in favor of it's good points, and those problematic aspects don't show up as often as you would think, especially later on. But Raphtalia's very existence is a *constant* reminder of where Shield Hero's priorities and beliefs are, and even if you wanted to ignore those elements, the rest of the show doesn't really have much else to offer, just bland isekai flavor that's been done in countless other shows, often better.

But this isn't a Shield Hero thread so this will likely be my only response to this.
Raphtalia was freed. He didn't choose to get the controlling mark reapplied, and hell even asked her did she really want to do it when she insisted on doing it. He allowed her that choice. Has he always been great like that? No, but everyone has their flaws. As for the attitude, I have no problems with it and can to a degree can relate to it. I've seen many a decent person go through situations similar to this and come out wary on the other side, myself included (which I am still paying for now financially after severing ties from the person who walked over me almost 4 years ago).

Am I saying slavery is good? No, I'm not. On the other hand I recognise this as a piece of fantasy literature and not real life, and in all honesty the whole issue of slavery in this is very minuscule to the point where the only ones which refer to them as his slaves are the antagonists when they want to hold it over him.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7