• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Netflix Subscription Price Increase Rolls Out for Existing Subscribers in May

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dragon_Kaiser

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:02 am Reply with quote
It’s a good thing my friend lets me use their Netflix account
Fluwm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:35 am Reply with quote
Funny how this seems to happen every six months or so. Meanwhile the streaming market becomes more and more fractured.
hikura

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:50 am Reply with quote
Dragon_Kaiser wrote:

Not a good idea to publicly say that since it is against their rules.
If you like Netflix and okay with their prices you don’t mind the increase. The you I’m talking about is a general you.
Dragon_Kaiser

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:21 am Reply with quote
hikura wrote:
Dragon_Kaiser wrote:

If you like Netflix and okay with their prices you don’t mind the increase. The you I’m talking about is a general you.

I mean me saying it doesn’t hurt anyone since I’m not giving any information away, plus it’s not like Netflix is going through these comments trying to find people who say that and try to find out who’s accounts are being shared. Also we’re roommates we live in the same apartment so I’m pretty sure it’s fine.
zatheus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:00 am Reply with quote
Dragon_Kaiser wrote:
Also we’re roommates we live in the same apartment so I’m pretty sure it’s fine.

Why even bring it up? If you are in the same household then it doesn't matter if you or the other person are paying the sub. Now my personal view is I would hope you either split the cost or you bring something to the table to even out the cost.
hikura

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:49 am Reply with quote
Dragon_Kaiser did not know you were in the same household. They can track IP addresses. So in a way people can be “busted” for that. Just saying as a whole not a good idea to share something’s.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:47 am Reply with quote
Not that I can't afford it, but I'm glad I didn't open an account just to see Violet Evergarden. Also, I think I'll stay away from Netflix until I see where the price stabilizes to (if it does!)...
Ushio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:53 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Not that I can't afford it, but I'm glad I didn't open an account just to see Violet Evergarden. Also, I think I'll stay away from Netflix until I see where the price stabilizes to (if it does!)...

It never will since costs always goes up unless you want to ban wage increases?

Netflix's biggest issues is that they are funded by debt to keep producing all the 'original' programming they fund which they have no backend for since they don't sell their shows for syndication which is how traditional TV shows make most of there profit.

Netflix's long term issue is that to retain subscribers they need content but subscription revenue is growing slower than new content costs so there long term debt just keeps growing.

Netflix's future will be adding ads since it will lose less subscribers that way than it will raising subscription prices to what it needs for funding it's programming costs.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:44 pm Reply with quote
hikura wrote:
Dragon_Kaiser wrote:

I've said it before to a Netflix customer representative. You're delusional if you actually think they're hounding people over this.

What's the worst that can happen? They don't give a shit otherwise they would have prevented that for a long time.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:47 pm Reply with quote
zatheus wrote:
Dragon_Kaiser wrote:
Also we’re roommates we live in the same apartment so I’m pretty sure it’s fine.

Why even bring it up? If you are in the same household then it doesn't matter if you or the other person are paying the sub. Now my personal view is I would hope you either split the cost or you bring something to the table to even out the cost.

Yeah, let's all cry fowl on this guy for screwing over Netflix, a multi-billion dollar company, over around $4 a month. Someone hasn't stepped out of the box in their entire life, eh?
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:48 pm Reply with quote
LOL. All these people dog piling this dude for admitting he shares an account with someone. As if Netflix cares at this point. Me and like 5 friends who all live in different houses share the same account. Don't act all high and mighty thinking most people don't do this.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:33 pm Reply with quote
They're going to take a hit when Disney starts their service which may be why they want to raise their prices now. No more Star Wars, no more Marvel and no more Disney content.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:27 pm Reply with quote
AnimeFlyz wrote:
LOL. All these people dog piling this dude for admitting he shares an account with someone. As if Netflix cares at this point. Me and like 5 friends who all live in different houses share the same account. Don't act all high and mighty thinking most people don't do this.

I know a lot of people who do this personally as well. I mean I pay for my own now to be $13/mo, but if someone leeches off their friend's account more power to them. I don't think its unfair in the slightest I mean if their friend says its okay and gives him the pass I don't think it should be a big deal especially living in the same/different household. Also splitting the less than $15 a month bill? lol wtf? Some of these replies man Laughing
zatheus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:28 pm Reply with quote
#894699 wrote:

Yeah, let's all cry fowl on this guy for screwing over Netflix, a multi-billion dollar company, over around $4 a month. Someone hasn't stepped out of the box in their entire life, eh?

I'm sorry, maybe I wasn't clear. When he said he was using his roommates account, then why bring up the fact that you are using another persons account, when it doesn't matter because your in the same household. It is like someone saying, "I use my mom and dad's account, oh and I still live with them." What point were you trying to make?

Finny-chan wrote:
Also splitting the less than $15 a month bill? lol wtf? Some of these replies man Laughing

Sorry you find this funny, just using my own experiences with a roommate of 10 years. We split everything 50/50, I paid the utilities and he paid me back the half he owed me. Before I got Hulu, I use to take a few dollars off before telling him how much he owed me that month. I personally don't like taking anything for free anymore, or if I do I want to do something in return to payback the kindness.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Family been sharing the same account for years - all over the country, no VPNs

Doesn't matter how many people ya share the account anyway - you're still limited by the # of simultaneous streams. It's the same load on Netflix's servers. Ex: if 4 is your max simultaneous streams, doesn't matter to Netflix whether it's all 4 in the East Coast, or 2 in the East Coast and 2 in the West Coast - it's still 4 loads on Netflix's servers either way.

That's what matters to Netflix --simultaneous streams-- so their servers don't get overloaded. Doesn't matter if ya share an account with a million people if only max 4 of them can stream simultaneously at a time (the other 999,996 people have to wait their turns). Netflix's servers will still see only 4 of them at any one time regardless. (Like fighting a million opponents in a narrow alley Laughing )
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2