• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fruits Basket Creator Comments on Character's Hair Color Change

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animorphimagi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Changing the eye design is a much worse problem.
I know there's this "modern" style of anime designs but not conforming to original art styles is the equivalent of ignoring racism by making the black people white people in Pulp Fiction because it's not in-style to address facts that were in the original style. Yes, Pulp Fiction doesn't NEED black people, but it's taking away from the artistic integrity of the original work. It doesn't matter if the original artist says "it's okay", more than likely they are just happy their work is relevant again and were swayed by a producer or character designer who thought the designs needed more individuality.
What if Toriyama said -oops never mind. Just remembered he changed Future Trunks hair from purple to blue in super....and people backed him up..even though he said "it was always supposed to be blue...yet the original series couldn't fix it in a few episodes? Riiight
Dragon_Kaiser

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Animorphimagi wrote:
I know there's this "modern" style of anime designs but not conforming to original art styles is the equivalent of ignoring racism by making the black people white people in Pulp Fiction because it's not in-style to address facts that were in the original style. Yes, Pulp Fiction doesn't NEED black people, but it's taking away from the artistic integrity of the original work. It doesn't matter if the original artist says "it's okay", more than likely they are just happy their work is relevant again and were swayed by a producer or character designer who thought the designs needed more individuality.
What if Toriyama said -oops never mind. Just remembered he changed Future Trunks hair from purple to blue in super....and people backed him up..even though he said "it was always supposed to be blue...yet the original series couldn't fix it in a few episodes? Riiight

Clearly someone didn’t read the article or any information regarding this fruits basket anime and how the original creator did not like the original anime because the director for that version did whatever the hell he wanted and was a dick to work with and took creative liberties. She has total control to the designs she didn’t want it to look like the original she said this on Twitter when it was first announced they were making the show again. Even saying she wouldn’t allow another anime reboot to be made unless they did it the way she wanted to be which is the way it was intended to be. Also bad decision to bring up Toriyama because he never meant for the super saiyan transformation to be blonde just for the hair to stand up more. The blonde color was a thing jump did because he didn’t color in the hair and his response was basically ok whatever less coloring for me.
Zeino

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:40 pm Reply with quote
It's just hair color of a supporting character. If the author says it was always meant to be indigo. Then it was always meant to be indigo.

Haterater wrote:
Hoping the show won't be bashed like how fans did to Sailor Moon Crystal because it followed more to the manga.
The problem there was that the original Sailor Moon manga just honestly wasn't very good in it's own right and the 90s anime had lots of talented people working on it that elevated the material into something memorable and beloved. That won't be the case here because even if the director of the old anime had conflicting visions with Takaya-san, it was still her own writing voice that makes Fruits Basket special and is the one loved by the fandom.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
The problem there was that the original Sailor Moon manga just honestly wasn't very good in it's own right and the 90s anime had lots of talented people working on it that elevated the material into something memorable and beloved.

I thought it was pretty good as a manga, but that it absolutely did not work in anime form without the treatment it was given by the 90s staff... Sailor Moon Crystal felt like what might have happened if they had just straight-up adapted Gungrave into an anime without first adding more than a coeur of additional material to the story.
LumRanmaYasha

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm not bothered by the hair color myself, but her hairstyle, eyes, and face are so different that she looks like a completely different character to me. I feel the same way about the other Yuki Fan Club members too...they all look a lot less unique now, which I think's a real shame.

Last edited by LumRanmaYasha on Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:17 pm Reply with quote
In case some are wondering, this is connected to something Justin Sevakis mentioned in a talkback thread years ago (as well as posts like this and this more uh... controversial article). Obviously, the circumstances have changed, but the insight is worth putting out there as food-for-thought regardless.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Super_M wrote:
Is hair colour in this series important for plot? Strange for me I never thought people can complain about such thing, especially if colour change fit the character.

I wouldn't say it's important to the plot per se, but the bright/unnatural colors of the Sohma family are related to their cursed animal, so it's commented on a few times.

I liked the reasoning that the Yuki Fanclub Pres. has a more traditional hair color because it suits her traditionalist personality better.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
Hoping the show won't be bashed like how fans did to Sailor Moon Crystal because it followed more to the manga.

While there was a significant portion of the fanbase who hated that the new anime failed to flesh out anyone's personality who wasn't Usagi, most of the anger was directed at the poor animation. Granted that not every episode in the original series had flawless animation, but in 2014 and with the budget that Toei could and probably should have given to one of its cash cows, they should have done a lot better.

The FB mangaka seems to be pretty opinionated on the new adaptation. It sort of reminds me all the kerfluffle JK Rowling generates when she mentions a specific character's sexual preferences years after the main Harry Potter storyline has finished without ever mentioning it.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:19 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
prime_pm wrote:
For once I'd just like to hear an author say "Get over it," just to put all us whiny fans in our places.

Judging by the butthurt that ensued after Zack Snyder essentially did the same to DC fans that won't go over to well either.

Yeah I heard about the Snyder comment just recently. These things have a tendency to behave like a double edged sword.
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:28 am Reply with quote
Animorphimagi wrote:

Takaya's art style actually change alot during Fruits Basket run (due to her health problems at the time). The old anime use the style used in early volumes while the new anime use her recent art styles. You can find her current style on the covers for FB recent reprints, and it's pretty close with the new anime design.

Anime tend to use the latest style used in the manga. FMA Brotherhood has different character design compared to 2003 FMA because Brotherhood uses Arakawa style from vol 13 onwards instead of 2003's vol 6 style.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:05 am Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
While there was a significant portion of the fanbase who hated that the new anime failed to flesh out anyone's personality who wasn't Usagi, most of the anger was directed at the poor animation. Granted that not every episode in the original series had flawless animation, but in 2014 and with the budget that Toei could and probably should have given to one of its cash cows, they should have done a lot better.

Considering that it was 2014 Toei, nothing would have helped Crystal when they had 7 other shows (and a few movies and video game cutscenes) being worked on at the same time with the only decent-looking show involving Marvel (and for those who want to blame Precure, even that year's series had the problems and that was celebrating it's 10th anniversary at the time).
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Minimimiau wrote:

Hair color in Fruits Basket IS important at least for Kyo and the 12 horoscopes. Sometimes for plot. For example, Kisa, the tiger got bullied in school because her hair color. Maybe because of this people argue about Motoko's hair.

I should have been more clear that I was talking about Motoko specifically. You're right that hair color is significant for some characters; my point was that in Motoko's case it is not important.
Vitah-108

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There are no people involved in the production that will just make selfish decisions about the characters and story and move forward. I'm so relieved...since not everyone is good at that.

It sounds like she is lowkey criticizing the old hair color to me.
frubam

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:20 pm Reply with quote
While I'm excited to see how different the original manga is(only watched the 2001 anime; no manga experience or knowledge) to one of my most beloved series of all time, this subtle bashing of the original anime leaves a bad taste in my mouth(obv biased here). Like okay, I get it, you didn't like the Daichi version; that's fine, but no need to bring it up so strongly at every opportunity. This is especially since it was likely that the original anime was people's first gateway into the series, particularly in the west.
Sakura-Alchemist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:11 am Reply with quote
Vitah-108 wrote:
Quote:
There are no people involved in the production that will just make selfish decisions about the characters and story and move forward. I'm so relieved...since not everyone is good at that.

It sounds like she is lowkey criticizing the old hair color to me.

It sounds more like she's criticizing the old staff more than anything. More like she's saying not everyone is good at waiting for confirmation before making a decision.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3