• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fruits Basket Creator Comments on Character's Hair Color Change

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:57 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
prime_pm wrote:
For once I'd just like to hear an author say "Get over it," just to put all us whiny fans in our places.

Yeah, I don't want our fandom to become the equivalent of that Star Wars fan who told Frank Oz that he was "more familiar" with the Yoda character than Oz was. Laughing

Some a fan or actor may actually know a series better than the creators, especially when it comes to retcons and plot holes. George Lucas may have created concept of Yoda, but I think Frank Oz is who created Yoda as we know him. Whether co-puppeteers Kathryn Mullen, Wendy Froud, David Barclay, Mike Quinn, David Greenaway, Don Austen, and Kathy Smee for the 1st 2 trilogies are deserving of such similar credit is debatable. Now, whether or not a fan would know Yoda better than Mr. Oz, I would say that is even more debatable.
Steve Minecraft

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:39 am Reply with quote
frubam wrote:
While I'm excited to see how different the original manga is(only watched the 2001 anime; no manga experience or knowledge) to one of my most beloved series of all time, this subtle bashing of the original anime leaves a bad taste in my mouth(obv biased here). Like okay, I get it, you didn't like the Daichi version; that's fine, but no need to bring it up so strongly at every opportunity. This is especially since it was likely that the original anime was people's first gateway into the series, particularly in the west.

A creator is more than welcome to trash any adaption of their work they feel is not up to par with their vision Westerners might have gotten into it because of the anime, but I don't see how that should mean anything to her. The western version of the reboot is actively going against her wishes by bringing back the old voice actors when she specifically said she wanted a new cast so clearly westerners don't value her opinion very much.

Kadmos1 wrote:
Some a fan or actor may actually know a series better than the creators, especially when it comes to retcons and plot holes. George Lucas may have created concept of Yoda, but I think Frank Oz is who created Yoda as we know him. Whether co-puppeteers Kathryn Mullen, Wendy Froud, David Barclay, Mike Quinn, David Greenaway, Don Austen, and Kathy Smee for the 1st 2 trilogies are deserving of such similar credit is debatable. Now, whether or not a fan would know Yoda better than Mr. Oz, I would say that is even more debatable.

I don't think anyone knows Star Wars very well. Jedi in the original trilogy weren't super powered battle warriors like they became in the Prequels. Even the original trilogy had inconsistencies like Jabba the Hutt and Luke and Leia suddenly being siblings in Return of the Jedi.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Steve Minecraft wrote:

A creator is more than welcome to trash any adaption of their work they feel is not up to par with their vision Westerners might have gotten into it because of the anime, but I don't see how that should mean anything to her.

Agreed.

Quote:
The western version of the reboot is actively going against her wishes by bringing back the old voice actors when she specifically said she wanted a new cast so clearly westerners don't value her opinion very much.

I understood her comments to be referring to the Japanese cast. I doubt she intended her comments to extend beyond that.
Steve Minecraft

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:59 pm Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:
I understood her comments to be referring to the Japanese cast. I doubt she intended her comments to extend beyond that.

Definitely. But the mangaka has made it clear she wants to distance herself from the old anime in every way possible at this point, so the dub purposely using the old English cast is going against that by using the old series as nostalgia bait.
frubam

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:37 am Reply with quote
Steve Minecraft wrote:
A creator is more than welcome to trash any adaption of their work they feel is not up to par with their vision Westerners might have gotten into it because of the anime, but I don't see how that should mean anything to her. The western version of the reboot is actively going against her wishes by bringing back the old voice actors when she specifically said she wanted a new cast so clearly westerners don't value her opinion very much.

Even if that's the case that her feelings are justified, it just sounds overly whiny at this point. I had no qualms about her disdain for the original work when this series was first announced; only that I was sad she disliked the version I so valiantly loved. But at every turn, she goes out of her way to make mention how much she hates it. Move on; show excitement about the new adaptation, not disdain for the old one =01.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:54 am Reply with quote
frubam wrote:
Quote:
But at every turn, she goes out of her way to make mention how much she hates it. Move on; show excitement about the new adaptation, not disdain for the old one

I expect she has, but positive comments seldom are seen as news worthy. In this case she was replying to a specific question as to the reason for a change from the older version to the new.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3