• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Man Arrested for Allegedly Threatening Square Enix Over Game Item

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:30 am Reply with quote
I'm kinda curious which game this was...
SolHerald

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:47 am Reply with quote
The dude's response was obviously completely crazy, but these companies put predatory gambling systems in their games with the goal of getting people hooked, I'm not particularly shocked its pushing some people over the edge.

PSA: Stop spending money on gatcha games and microtransactions.
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:37 am Reply with quote
He put it in a questionnaire? I mean, am I the only one who feels like this guy might've just been trolling and memeing? I don't think he was serious. Yes, as an adult he should've known better, but I dunno if legal action is required. Maybe a quick investigation to see if he had the means and psyche to do this, then do the classic Japanese punishment of publicly shaming him by putting this in the news.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:30 am Reply with quote
SolHerald wrote:
The dude's response was obviously completely crazy, but these companies put predatory gambling systems in their games with the goal of getting people hooked, I'm not particularly shocked its pushing some people over the edge.

Ever since laws pass where companies have to post the draw rates, I put blame solely on the consumer. They're the ones who see "0.25% chance to get the specific 5* you want" and still willingly drop hundreds on the game. It's not the company's fault so many people are terrible with their money.
Sad Petal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:18 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
I'm kinda curious which game this was...

Probably SINoALICE or Dragon Quest of the Stars. Speaking of which, I kinda wanna hop back on Granblue Fantasy which is arguably better than those two mobile games and uses a somewhat better gacha system.
wolf10

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:33 am Reply with quote
Granblue's gacha safety net is what keeps me playing. You have to wait for the right banners, but at least you know you can get what you're after at a certain point (and one that isn't absurd like FGO's 10 duplicate NP5s). I dropped a lot on FGO in vain back in the day and got kind of sick of the whole thing.
methedemon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:51 am Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
SolHerald wrote:

Ever since laws pass where companies have to post the draw rates, I put blame solely on the consumer. They're the ones who see "0.25% chance to get the specific 5* you want" and still willingly drop hundreds on the game. It's not the company's fault so many people are terrible with their money.

that's why gambling addiction is a horrible thing...gamblers don't use logic.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:07 am Reply with quote
I would put into question anyone's rationality to put down close to $2k for something that does not even exist physically.
ongopogou

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:35 am Reply with quote
And this is why all games should have a spark (ceiling) system
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:43 am Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
SolHerald wrote:

There should be a law where there's a minimum drop rate percentage something like 5% because drop rates of under 1% in F2P games that have real money currency/shops encourage problem gambling.
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:52 am Reply with quote
methedemon wrote:
El Hermano wrote:
SolHerald wrote:

that's why gambling addiction is a horrible thing...gamblers don't use logic.

This 100%. It's the concept of "there's a chance" and "I'll get lucky. ".

Also these games prey on the fact that the player gets attached to the characters, often making the player want and roll for the character. I'm someone with 400+ days on Fate/GO and I've at times had solid rolls, but I've also had times where I've spent currency I saved up from playing equal to more than 200 USD worth of currency and didn't get the character. I play the game mainly because I enjoy the story and characters, but the rolling feels often hopeless. Keep in mind you also need 5 copies of a character to get the most out of them.

Notably though I don't spend money on Gatcha games. I learned my lesson when I was a teenager and younger, some rng purchases in games, but mostly growing up buying card packs and D&D mini figures (that were also randomized boosters). Even before microtransactions and mobile phones there have been randomized products that cater to the youth and young adults. So many companies hinge on you paying for another "thing" to see if you get the golden ticket.
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:24 am Reply with quote
HoboSoup wrote:
Keep in mind you also need 5 copies of a character to get the most out of them.

Wait, you only need 5? You need at least 6 in Kingdom Hearts UX. And that's if you're lucky on the guilt roll (but there are easier-to-get medals that will increase guilt, so that's not as bad). Luckily, the new super-powerful ones come auto-filled so that they're already full and powered up fully.
ChestPains

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:58 am Reply with quote
I have no gacha NP5 in FGO and never felt the need to keep rolling after getting them once.
Gamblers will be gamblers lol.
This situation isn't surprising, it's common as hell in JP
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:05 am Reply with quote
This news is in no way surprising, as we know how gacha games operate.
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:36 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
HoboSoup wrote:
Keep in mind you also need 5 copies of a character to get the most out of them.

Wait, you only need 5? You need at least 6 in Kingdom Hearts UX. And that's if you're lucky on the guilt roll (but there are easier-to-get medals that will increase guilt, so that's not as bad). Luckily, the new super-powerful ones come auto-filled so that they're already full and powered up fully.

Haha well we don't need to compare because regardless RNG is frustrating. 5 in Fate is bad enough since with even semi-decent luck you'll still need to likely spend 750+ dollars to get 5 copies of a 5star. Spending even 10 dollars on a guaranteed single digital DLC character in a fighting game already feels like more than enough.

You could spend 200 dollars on a Steam sale and get enough games to last you over a year, depending on how much you play. Or you could spend that much money on a Gatcha game and maybe get 1 or 2 copies of a 5star. It's insane in my opinion.

Some more info on Fate though, 5star servants are a 1% chance, there's no guilt/pity system where you'll get one after failing repeatedly. You could spend 1000 dollars not getting a 5 star and they won't care. There's a single thing to "help", if you get 5 copies of a 5star every copy you get after gets you 1 currency. You need 10 of that currency to get a single 5 star of your choice. So that "help" is for super whales only. There's two times a year where we can spend about 20 dollars to get a guaranteed random 5star, but even that feels absurdly pricey.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2