• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2019 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raebo101

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I've never been a huge fan of Fruits Basket, and one of the reasons may be that I never liked Laura Bailey's super-genki take on Tohru (blasphemy, I know). I rewatched the first episode of the 2001 series and it's more grating to my ears than ever. So listening to this in Japanese was a welcome change.

Not that I don't see what you're saying, but after watching the first episode of the remake in both English and Japanese, I found Bailey's performance to be less "genki" than Iwami's. She's actually playing the character more subdued than she did before.
kucinglaper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Super_M wrote:
Kimetsu have good first episode and great animation. Manga Kimetsu is ongoing so I wonder if studio choose original ending.

This is a WSJ series, a popular one at that. Original ending is pretty unlikely compared to multi season format like Haikyuu, BnHA, Soma.
Chazer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Just finished watching the first episode of Mix. When it comes to any adaptation to Mitsuru Adachi's work, I always come up with the same conclusion: it feels like coming back home after a long trip. Comfortable, cozy and relaxing.

This is yet another successful start in the long line of anime adapting his works. It will never be flashy in terms of the animation, as his character design is a bit on the simplistic style, but you lose yourself in the story because the man knows how to create likable characters.

I'm curious how they will complete this anime, as the manga is still ongoing. Maybe they will do something similar to Cross Game, where the anime and manga finished within a month of each other, but I seriously doubt it, as the manga seems to be some ways away from completion.

Thumbs up!
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Damn it's cool they got a bunch of the cast back in their roles for Fruits Basket like Laura Bailey.

kucinglaper wrote:
Super_M wrote:
Kimetsu have good first episode and great animation. Manga Kimetsu is ongoing so I wonder if studio choose original ending.

This is a WSJ series, a popular one at that. Original ending is pretty unlikely compared to multi season format like Haikyuu, BnHA, Soma.

Yeah, I really liked the first ep, great ep and animation, and I can't wait to hear more of the music from two of my favorite composers for this, really looking forward to more next week and also who eventually will play these characters in an eventual AoA dub.

Hopefully this one gets adapted for a while, like those.

Since Funi just announced more stuff, especially excited to check out the simuldubs for Fairy Gone and RobiHachi at the end of the month. Love the designs, tone, and uniform design in the poster for Fairy Gone and loved Drifters and Jojo: Stardust Crusaders. Hopefully AoT S3 part 2's dub is only a couple of weeks behind the sub again just like last season right onto Toonami quickly.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
Chazer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Reading James Beckett's review on Mix, it is very obvious he has not done much research on Mitsuru Adachi's work. His style is much more Slice of Life centered on adolescent trials and tribulations than it is a sports anime. He only uses sports as his vehicle to tell the stories.

You won't get the typical sport monologues of what the character is thinking for five minutes, or have 10 episodes dedicated to one match. It is far more laid back and more comedic than stoic.
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Chazer wrote:
Reading James Beckett's review on Mix, it is very obvious he has not done much research on Mitsuru Adachi's work. His style is much more Slice of Life centered on adolescent trials and tribulations than it is a sports anime. He only uses sports as his vehicle to tell the stories.

You won't get the typical sport monologues of what the character is thinking for five minutes, or have 10 episodes dedicated to one match. It is far more laid back and more comedic than stoic.

Where did you get the impression that I was looking for/wanting any of those things? I'm interested neither in extended matches nor monologues, so I don't really know what you're referring to.
XerBlade
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Okay, Hitoribocchi no Marumaruseikatsu might be somewhat amusing if you're one of the following types of people:
- Someone who is or has been merely your typical case of socially awkward and watches things about people with full-blown extreme anxiety and somehow thinks they can relate to what is on screen because they conflate what they have gone through with what is a real mental illness.
- The type of person who thinks merely knowing someone with a mental illness means you somehow are qualified to talk about it with no further research into the subject. [No, you do not know what they're going through. You merely know what it looks like from the outside from your single perspective and what they may have told you about it. Not even two people with the same illness can honestly know exactly what the other is going through.]
- Someone who regularly watches moeblob slice of life shows and doesn't think too deeply about the content.

But for someone like me who has suffered from actual, full-blown anxiety disorder and severe panic attacks that make me want to vomit or otherwise feel like I might literally die and it actually made my middle school life a living hell in the real world, the show is downright offensive.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chazer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:07 pm Reply with quote
James_Beckett wrote:
Chazer wrote:

Where did you get the impression that I was looking for/wanting any of those things? I'm interested neither in extended matches nor monologues, so I don't really know what you're referring to.

You open by saying "I don't normally go out of my way to read sports manga, so I was unaware of Touch, the manga from the 80s that Mix is serving as a follow-up to." Adachi Mitsuru's work is usually more of a Seinen Rom-Com using sports as the vehicle of the story. Simplifying Touch or Mix as a sports manga is a great disservice to the potential audience. What I was talking about with the monologues and lengthy matches that usually accompany sports manga, is the Mitsuru Adachi's work is usually not like that at all. If there is anything that he might be guilty off is his penchant for love triangles.

At no point was I implying you were looking for these. It is obvious from your opening line that sports anime are not your cup of tea.
alconnow_

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Kimetsu no Yaiba’s first episode was excellent. I can’t wait to see best boy Inosuke in action.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Rebecca Silverman wrote:
Speaking as someone with personal experience of both, social anxiety and panic disorders are not funny, and they take a lot of work to learn to cope with. That makes this show's central premise, that socially anxious Bocchi's one friend has abandoned her in order to “help” her overcome her issues, leaving the girl high and dry as she begins middle school, feel more cruel than funny. Even if Bocchi and her friend Kai weren't going to attend the same school, ripping that support out from under Bocchi in the name of helping her make other friends just feels like a lame middle-school excuse to get rid of someone. While I applaud the story for that perhaps unintentional aspect of realism, it doesn't make for a great comedy setup.
When I first tried watching it, as soon as I got to that scene I paused the video and decided to wait for other people's reactions to the episode overall to see if the rest of it was that unfunnily mean-spirited. Most of the reactions I've seen so far have been positive, but seeing as how the only reviewer here to even acknowledge the incongruous cruelty of the setup doesn't seem to have much liked the rest of the episode either, I'm starting to doubt if it'll sit right with me (and I say that as a huge fan of Watamote).

Most of the other shows I've checked out so far have been shorts, but I did also check out Fruits Basket, which does seem very promising so far (I have next to no prior familiarity with the franchise).
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:35 pm Reply with quote
XerBlade wrote:
But for someone like me who has suffered from actual, full-blown anxiety disorder and severe panic attacks that make me want to vomit or otherwise feel like I might literally die and it actually made my middle school life a living hell in the real world, the show is downright offensive.

I can't claim to have had the exact same experience as you, but I did go through school (and beyond...) with the classic combo of social anxiety and undiagnosed autism (and was a favorite bullying target because of it). Having just watched Hitoribocchi no etc., I'm kinda surprised it's so controversial.

It certainly isn't a deep dive into the harsh realities of anxiety disorders (such as Watamote, a show I couldn't stand essentially because it tried to have its relatable-angst cake and relentlessly parody it in a mean-spirited way at the same time), but it clearly isn't meant to be. I can understand not liking it because it doesn't take the issue seriously enough for you, but I don't think it's going to convince people that these mental issues aren't real problems. In fact, I think shows like this can help make the case that anxious, panicky people aren't weird or scary once you get to know them, which is an important message. Social anxiety can easily become a feedback-loop, where nervous/odd behavior bothers people and makes them not want to be around you, reinforcing your anxiety. If a moe slice-of-life anime can help break that cycle, I'm all for it.

Personally, a lot of what she went through was very relatable--freaking out about class introductions, overthinking basic interactions based on an arbitrary thing someone said ("do you want to be a gofer or something?"), being super melodramatic about making a friend (which would just be internal, but the show makes it external for comedy) and needing direct validation when the other person had decided you were friends ages ago, among other things. The thing about her friend deliberately abandoning her was a little odd, but getting cut off from old friends when changing schools is a common experience (and would be more isolating for current anime writers who grew up without cellphones), so I think this is just a comedic take on that. The only completely unrealistic thing about this show is that the protagonist is literally named "Hitori Bocchi" ("loneliness")... what were her parents thinking?

Last edited by kotomikun on Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:55 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
The only completely unrealistic thing about this show is that the protagonist is literally named "Hitori Bocchi" ("loneliness")... what were her parents thinking?
This isn't limited to her, apparently all the characters are supposed to have "meaningful" names: "Yawara Kai" means "soft" (yawarakai), while "Sunao Nako" translates to "honest/frank child" (sunao na ko).
Insomniabulist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:05 pm Reply with quote
As somebody who suffers from severe social anxiety myself, I didn't find Hitoribocchi offensive at all. The show does a good job at portraying severe social anxiety in a realistic way, and even though it is used as a source of comedy, it's never cruel or mean-spirited. What's more, despite the prospect of talking to people being terrifying to her, Bocchi is able to take small steps and work up just enough courage and willpower to actually make a friend. I think that besides being cute and funny, it's also a bit inspiring.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I've never been a huge fan of Fruits Basket, and one of the reasons may be that I never liked Laura Bailey's super-genki take on Tohru (blasphemy, I know). I rewatched the first episode of the 2001 series and it's more grating to my ears than ever. So listening to this in Japanese was a welcome change.

Not that I don't see what you're saying, but after watching the first episode of the remake in both English and Japanese, I found Bailey's performance to be less "genki" than Iwami's. She's actually playing the character more subdued than she did before.

I think the OP was referring to Laura Bailey's original performance in the 2001 anime, which I would agree is far more genki than the more subdued performance she's done for this new series. It was so subdued, it actually took me aback a little because I was expecting the so sweet she'll give you a toothache performance I remembered from the 2001 iteration. For nostalgia alone, I miss that performance a little, but her performance in the first episode was definitely more competent than the older performance. All the returning VAs are more competent, which is to be expected, but it just feels great to return to it and have everyone really bringing their A-game but also the same rapport they established 20 year ago, it really brought a smile to my face.

As for the rest of the show, I do find there are some aspects that aren't as great this time around. The BGM definitely is forgettable. The animation is definitely better here, but the art itself lacks personality and is a bit bland. Of the little we see of Kyo in this episode, I'm not a fan of his new character design in particular. His look is a lot more severe looking than I was prepared for. Hoping they'll soften his design some as the anime progresses.

I'm looking forward to revisiting this story after all this time. I watched this title for the first time when I was 14 years old and finished the story through the manga and I loved it; now I get to watch again and this time share it with my kid. It's a great time to be an anime fan!
Insomniabulist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:55 pm Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:
kotomikun wrote:
The only completely unrealistic thing about this show is that the protagonist is literally named "Hitori Bocchi" ("loneliness")... what were her parents thinking?
This isn't limited to her, apparently all the characters are supposed to have "meaningful" names: "Yawara Kai" means "soft" (yawarakai), while "Sunao Nako" translates to "honest/frank child" (sunao na ko).

My favorite is the teacher, Oshie Teruyo, whose name means "is teaching" (oshieteru yo)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 15