• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2019 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Super_M

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:32 am Reply with quote
Sarazanmai

I thought removed shirikodama would be more erotic than gross. When I read early reaction I thought I will not like first episode but I liked it. Ikuhara show have great animation and catchy opening song.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:50 am Reply with quote
So no first impression on Carole & Tuesday, or are you still working on that.

So I came into Sarazanmai thinking that it would be weird, and some how it still surprised me at how weird it was.
KupoChris

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:35 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

They'll probably skip Carole & Tuesday since it's a Netflix license and, as far as i know, there's no official western release date yet. I'm pretty sure they only preview shows that they can watch legally.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:41 am Reply with quote
KupoChris wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

They'll probably skip Carole & Tuesday since it's a Netflix license and, as far as i know, there's no official western release date yet. I'm pretty sure they only preview shows that they can watch legally.

This is correct. This is also why it is not listed as an option for Daily Streaming Reviews.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:25 am Reply with quote
With Ikuhara I usually have the same problem. For all of the layers of complexity of the metaphors and symbolism, I find the apparent messages behind them pretty simple. Often his stories are simple tales of being accepted in a world that doesn't accept and he throws penguins and bears and flowers and vagina cars (Utena movie) at us. Penguindrum is the only show I enjoyed because I liked the personal journey of the siblings (but kinda tuned out at the end), which was comparatively straightforward. I also finished with great annoyance (in one of the old Utena series threads I sparred with some fans at length bout my dislike- good discussion in that thread), but this and Yuri Kuma Arashi turned me off immediately. Everything just shouts out "I'm not a character- I'm a symbol of a larger idea" and I just go..."ugh".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:41 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Quote:
Personally, I'd implore you not to let all the farts and fluids deter you from what could be one of the standout anime of the entire year.

Sorry, but I'm definitely going to let that deter me. I've never managed to get into an Ikuhara vehicle before, and this sounds like the least palatable anime I've ever heard of that wasn't technically hentai. (...Well, I can think of at least one nastier one, but not one that isn't flamewar-fuel.)

Besides the gross-out humor, I can't understand the appeal of symbolism-overdose media in general. Nothing wrong with strangeness and hidden meanings when used in moderation, but just like anything else, too much can become a problem--in this case, making it needlessly difficult to understand. I think some people just enjoy having to do research to puzzle out what a show is trying to say, and/or they like to feel superior to uneducated schmucks who don't get it. But that seems like a self-defeating artistic choice.

The Ikuhara style doesn't feel pretentious, exactly; a better word would be elitist, because it obscures its intentions so much that only the most dedicated fans will piece it all together. I feel like this defeats the purpose of its subversive political ideas, because most of the people who pick up on them probably already agree. In theory, you might sneak some of your opinions into someone's head with this strategy. Lately, though, he seems to want to have both ludicrously in-your-face material (the lily-licking scene from Yuri Kuma comes to mind) and bizarre symbolism. Which is even worse, because now he's scaring away potential converts to his way of thinking with shocking imagery. I already think that homophobia is bad and sexuality is too repressed, and even I can't get through an Ikuhara anime; I can't imagine convincing someone with contrasting opinions to watch one, let alone learn anything from it. Maybe converting people isn't the point; but if so, then what is the point?

Not only would it not convince someone with opposite viewpoint, symbolic is built in a way that it just reinforce whatever the viewer viewpoint is. You could analyze any symbolism work and come up with the exact opposite opinion by using the same kind of logic. You just have to take "Oh this character is going up the stair, which signify that she's rising above society expectation" to "Oh this character is going up the stairs, which signify that she's going the natural order of the world by defying gravity" or w/e.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:02 am Reply with quote
I don't normally agree with Theron, but I kinda mirrored his thoughts about Sarazanmai. I'm a complete neophyte when it comes to Ikuhara (I've only seen Yurikuma Arashi), so maybe that informed my view; but my initial response after watching the first episode was "Well that was annoying".

It looked amazing yes, but because of Ikuhara's reputation I basically looked at every single thing in frame because it screamed SYMBOLISM like Film Brain was yelling directly into my ear. The twist was pretty easy for me to figure out almost immediately after it first happened, but maybe it wasn't meant to be much of a secret. It wasn't really all that funny either.

I'll probably give it two more episodes.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:49 am Reply with quote
Kistune_bride wrote:
So Ikuhara made a show about fetishes, it seems like.

Vore, anal beads, Mpreg, enema, creampie, cross dressing cosplay, public nudity while blindfolded...with a box, and whatever that cat person was doing with the cop duo.

Yeah, I'll check it out. I'm just curious what overall message these kappas will lead us to.

From what I recall the first episode of Yurikuma had three loli girls having sex, two of them performing fellatio on the third's fake penis and also licking and nibbling on her toes and feet, so it's not that out of place.
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:42 am Reply with quote
For those interested in the lore about kappas, but would prefer a less "juicy" interpretation than the reviews suggest for Sarazanmai, I suggest episode 9 of GeGeGe no Kitarou (2018). First time I encountered the legend about them sucking souls from humans' anuses.

https://www.crunchyroll.com/gegege-no-kitaro/episode-9-the-kappas-work-reform-772343

Last edited by yuna49 on Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:24 am Reply with quote
Well, that was Ikuhara all right. Sarazanmai has potential, but I suspect I won't last more than about 5 episodes. All his work since Utena reminds me too much of NisiOisin and Masaaki Yuasa's stuff - too dense and frenetic and just too exhausting to watch.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Reading Key's review and some of the comments here, i was already sure i'd be loving Sarazanmai and it definitely did not disappoint. Laughing And it gets bonus points for looking amazing!

Wise Man's Grandchild on the other hand was one of the most boring and generic first episodes i've been unfortunate enough to sit through recently. I guess the reviewers were just happy that there's an Isekai without slave girls for once, hence the positive ratings?

The less Atsushi there is in Bungo Stray Dogs, the better for me, so i'm all in for more Dazai backstory...
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:55 pm Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
From what I recall the first episode of Yurikuma had three loli girls having sex, two of them performing fellatio on the third's fake penis.

My guy if this is how you read the most blatant metaphor for cunnilingus put to animation since Belladonna of Sadness I need you to go find your high school literature teacher and flick them on the forehead.
Oggers

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:11 pm Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
From what I recall the first episode of Yurikuma had three loli girls having sex, two of them performing fellatio on the third's fake penis and also licking and nibbling on her toes and feet, so it's not that out of place.

The girls in question are in high school, so they're not "loli girls". (Even though they're still underage, so that doesn't make all the sexual focus on them any better.)

Also, despite all the graphic imagery in Sarazanmai's first episode, it honestly feels more...deliberately gross than erotic? If one of Ikuhara's goals was to go past the cutesy modern image of kappa and explore the darker and more disgusting aspects of kappa folklore, he's certainly succeeding. I had reservations about this show since Utena is the only one of Ikuhara's works I really like, but this first episode was so out there even by his standards I think I'll stick it out and see where it goes.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:14 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
El Hermano wrote:
From what I recall the first episode of Yurikuma had three loli girls having sex, two of them performing fellatio on the third's fake penis.

My guy if this is how you read the most blatant metaphor for cunnilingus put to animation since Belladonna of Sadness I need you to go find your high school literature teacher and flick them on the forehead.

I'd also say he should do this to whomever taught him sex ed as well, since he clearly doesn't know what a clitoris is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
El Hermano

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:34 pm Reply with quote
LossThief wrote:

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. A scene being a metaphor doesn't stop it from being fetish pandering. Saying a girl getting her toes sucked is a metaphor doesn't change the fact Ikuhara might be a kink who likes putting foot fetish scenes in his work. I'm just saying maybe a scene where two young naked girls lick a 8 inch shaft all over could be seen as something explicit. Or those shots of the girls laying naked and covered in sticky honey all over their bodies may be a bit titillating. Just putting that out there. Ikuhara is no stranger to fanservice or kinks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 15