• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Quest: Your Story CG Anime Film's 1st Trailers Reveal Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:23 pm Reply with quote
I have to admit that the visuals look amazing, it on par with Disney/Pixar and Dreamworks, though I can still feel the style of Toriyama's artstyle in some of the characters.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I can see why some fans would be upset that it doesn't have the Toriyama touch. I guess they're trying to appeal to a wider audience. But I can see it's not DQ without the Toriyama touch. Well, we did get FF: TSW and THAT definitely wasn't FF. I'll take this over that any day.
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Cain Highwind wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:
harminia wrote:
A little bit too western but still looks charming.
I'm a simple girl, I see a slime, I'm happy.

You're joking right the DragonQuest games for years have taken elements of western culture and society and integrated it into it's DNA how can it be too western?

The post sounds like it’s “not anime enough” for them which I think is silly. Animation is animation. On the other hand I can understand the disappointment that the characters aren’t more Toriyama styled. I mean it’s certainly debatable. The Western styled approach could be a way to help appeal to Western audiences more. I sure hope they dub and release it in the West.

I'm saying the same thing as the people who said it looks like Disney or Dreamworks (aka Western companies). I'm not super big on the Disney/Dreamworks style personally.
Like others have said, it doesn't really capture the Toriyama style. They could capture it easy enough, considering there's been CG cutscenes in past Dragon Quest games.

The studio doing this is the one who did Stand by Me Doraemon, which was adapting an even simpler style than DQ. I believe the studio also did the CG animation of Jyushimatsu in the first episode of season 2 of Osomatsu-san (another simple style).
So in this case it looks like they're going for the western audience, which I completely understand, but I also do not 100% love the look of. Just seems like a bit of a waste.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2