• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix's Live-Action Cowboy Bebop Series Casts John Cho, Mustafa Shakir, Daniella Pineda, Ale

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:56 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
brammerhammer23 wrote:
I know Ed is female but it was never explicitly stated until her final episode if I remember correctly.

Unless this was a change made specifically for the dub this was actually revealed in her debut episode (offscreen).
Faye's line about Ed being a girl is in the dub.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:39 pm Reply with quote
I may have complained if these revealed in isolation due to the major changes but changing everything is at one makes it ok. And let´s be honest Jet Black, was always secretly well that. Will this last name now be a nickname?
Alex Garcia Lopez and Christopher Yost are legit btw. Netflix seems to have though this project though and let´s all be glad this won´t be a film.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:04 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
ninjamitsuki wrote:

Faye is canonly Singaporean, though.

A national or an ex pat? (genuinely don't remember).

She was born there, and she is described as an "Asian Beauty" in the manga, although I know the manga aren't really canon.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:07 pm Reply with quote
I am not going to get into the absurdity of being okay with casting a non-Japanese Asian as a Japanese character, especially given the actual dynamics between the countries in real life and getting into the "all people look alike" implications that it makes.

But John Cho. Harold and Mr. Sulu? Spike is supposed to be a slick badass character. Some one who has a ruffian charm, but instills respect as a former gangster turned bounty hunter.

I like John Cho, but they might as got Ken Jeong to play Spike if they were going to go with Cho. I personally still would have gone with Keanu Reeves even now. He is relatively young looking, and I can see him pass of as a Spike in his 30s , even if the character was supposed to be younger.

And John Cho is probably the best casting of the bunch.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Cast so far: Not bad, no complaints.

But Ed is my FAVORITE, they better not cut Ed

Flare-kun wrote:
FLCLGainax wrote:
I could kind of see Ellen Page as Ed.

She's got the right vibe but is probably too old, in my opinion. I'm thinking maybe Maisie Williams. She's a bit kooky, a bit spooky, and can rock that boyish androgynous look as we know from GoT. Trying to think of some other names to throw out there but coming up empty at the moment.

Maisie Williams was my first thought, too...but I wouldn't mind if they gave the role to a younger, unknown actor. As long as they don't cut the part.

Also, any word on the music? It would be awesome if they can incorporate the original soundtrack, or bring Yoko Kanno back to write new tunes...
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:37 pm Reply with quote
I don't know much about Bebop but Ed is one of the few character's with a clearly non-white skin colour so it'd kinda suck for some white chick like Maisie to play her IMO

I don't really know enough about the show to comment on the casting, though hearing Faye is canonically Singaporean makes it a bit of a shame they didn't get a Singaporean actress for her.
Well, I'm mostly interested in seeing how faithful they actually make the characters look.
Dark Mac

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:27 am Reply with quote
Odd that they got such an old actor for Spike (who's 27 in the anime, while Cho is 46) and someone so young for Jet. Wonder why they did it that way.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:11 am Reply with quote
FLCLGainax wrote:
Faye's line about Ed being a girl is in the dub.

I know I meant I wasn't sure if the line was in both the Japanese and English dubs since I've only watched the latter which I was referencing.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:15 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
am not going to get into the absurdity of being okay with casting a non-Japanese Asian as a Japanese character, especially given the actual dynamics between the countries in real life and getting into the "all people look alike" implications that it makes.

I've seen Japanese complain when a Korean or Chinese is cast to play a Japanese role in American cinema, but to be honest a lot of Japan also view Japanese-Americans as not really being 'true Japanese' so I think they would take issue with just about any casting choice of an adaption of their work. It's unavoidable to upset some people with a casting decision. As long as they cast some form of Asian for an Asian role, I think it's acceptable in the long run and makes the most people happy. It's certainly preferable to casting a white, black, or hispanic person as an Asian character, I would assume.

doctordoom85 wrote:
To be fair, Bebop didn't seem like the characters were all Asian to me (or at least it's not blatantly obvious if they are) so I wouldn't have expected it from this casting. Same with stuff like Fullmetal Alchemist or Attack on Titan. Now if they were adapting Naruto, Evangelion, Steins Gate, etc. that would be a different story.

I think the only vague ethnicity in the show is Jet, who never really has any tells or backstory on what their ethnicity would be. People have already gone over Spike and Faye, so I'll look at Edward. She looks like your typical South Pacific Islander anime character, and the various names she uses come from Vietnamese, Chinese, and French culture. I always assumed the French part was due to the French colonies of specific Asian territories, or French Indochina. Either way, I believe it's safe to assume Ed is some form of Asian ethnicity.

I personally just assume Jet is some form of Asian just by association of the other crew mates.
anddo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:40 am Reply with quote
Keanu was the only one who could do Spike justice. What a colossal failure.
Marzan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:58 am Reply with quote
Personally, I always saw Adrien Brody as someone who could play Spike in all his facets very nicely.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:09 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
And let´s be honest Jet Black, was always secretly well that. Will this last name now be a nickname?.

Just because the American voice actor was black does not make a character black. His actual voice actor, Unsho Ishizuka was Japanese, and nothing in the show says he is black. I don't know how you can think that.
Steve Minecraft

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:24 am Reply with quote
AntiKuro wrote:
I know I've seen a lot of positive feedback for him being cast as Spike but, honestly, am I in the wrong for not liking John Cho and thinking he looks way to old? I mean he looks his 47 years..

Hollywood doesn't do pretty boy casting like Japan. Spike and Vicious are both in their mid 20s in the anime, but these actors are pushing 40 and 50. Hollywood always gotta make everything older, darker, and grittier.

Dark Mac wrote:
Odd that they got such an old actor for Spike (who's 27 in the anime, while Cho is 46) and someone so young for Jet. Wonder why they did it that way.

My guess is they're going for a buddy-cop esque duo with Spike and Jet for this show so they cast them roughly the same age, rather than Jet being like a father figure/old guy of the crew.
Marzan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:35 am Reply with quote
People have to remember that Jet was “only” 37 in the anime. Ancient by anime standards but simply not that old everywhere else.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:37 am Reply with quote
I do think the actress they got for Faye looks most like her anime counterpart, especially the expression in the photo. She seems to exhibit the same sassiness and sexiness expected of the character.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6