• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix's Live-Action Cowboy Bebop Series Casts John Cho, Mustafa Shakir, Daniella Pineda, Ale

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spoofer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Harold...? Ugh...

Hopefully he'll surprise me... Though I wish they could've found some actual martial arts practitioner so that every combat scene didn't have to involve a crapton of jump cuts to hide his presumable lack of actual fighting proficiency.

I don't have a problem with Jet being black (after all, as others have pointed out, he was voiced by a Japanese actor in the anime Laughing), but that dude looks nowhere near old/gruff/fugly enough for Jet. Maybe through "acting" and makeup he can pull it off, but eh...

Haven't seen the Faye chick in anything, but she looks alright for the part.

I always took Spike and Vicious as of the same ethnicity (or at least both Asian, in the predominantly Asian-led syndicate), and they were two sides of a coin, so I'm a little bummed to see Vicious played by an average looking Brit as opposed to a stylish and vicious looking Korean (or Japanese, as in the anime Spike had more Hong Kongish vibes, while Vicious seemed rooted more in Japanese yakuza tradition).

Definitely need to know who's playing Ein though, before I can truly make up my initial impressions on the casting.

I still have little hope this thing can be genuinely good, though.
Dark Mac

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Marzan wrote:
People have to remember that Jet was “only” 37 in the anime. Ancient by anime standards but simply not that old everywhere else.

That's what I mean, the anime version was 10 years older than Spike while the live action version is 5 years younger.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:14 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
I am not going to get into the absurdity of being okay with casting a non-Japanese Asian as a Japanese character, especially given the actual dynamics between the countries in real life and getting into the "all people look alike" implications that it makes.

But John Cho. Harold and Mr. Sulu? Spike is supposed to be a slick badass character. Some one who has a ruffian charm, but instills respect as a former gangster turned bounty hunter.

I like John Cho, but they might as got Ken Jeong to play Spike if they were going to go with Cho. I personally still would have gone with Keanu Reeves even now. He is relatively young looking, and I can see him pass of as a Spike in his 30s , even if the character was supposed to be younger.

And John Cho is probably the best casting of the bunch.

Its ironic you want to typecast John Cho into playing stupid characters, and then go on and praise Keanu Reeves. If all you ever saw of Keanu was his Bill and Ted movies, you'd look at the poster for Speed and go "Well that looks dumb, why'd they cast him?"

Give Cho a chance to break from playing bit parts and dumb comedies.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Even though I've only seen Cho in the Harold and Kumar movies, his acting in that was better than anything I've seen Keanu Reeves in.
Steve Minecraft

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:49 pm Reply with quote
ranran-001 wrote:
Its ironic you want to typecast John Cho into playing stupid characters, and then go on and praise Keanu Reeves. If all you ever saw of Keanu was his Bill and Ted movies, you'd look at the poster for Speed and go "Well that looks dumb, why'd they cast him?"

Give Cho a chance to break from playing bit parts and dumb comedies.

Keanu Reeves as Spike is an old internet meme. Just like people wanted Danny DeVito as Pikachu. Of course they're terrible casting choices and don't fit the characters at all, but people care more about silly memes than picking an actual good fit for the character. Fans are just as bad at casing movies as Hollywood is.
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Steve Minecraft wrote:
Keanu Reeves as Spike is an old internet meme. Just like people wanted Danny DeVito as Pikachu. Of course they're terrible casting choices and don't fit the characters at all, but people care more about silly memes than picking an actual good fit for the character. Fans are just as bad at casing movies as Hollywood is.

No, not in this case. There's plenty of reason for Keanu to fit the part.

1. He can do martial arts.
2. He can also do fancy gun moves.
3. Spike's character was more laid back and soft spoken so even a type-cast Keanu largely fit that role pretty well. Even age-wise I think Keanu would've been good as a mob hit-man who's been around the block.

Such a missed opportunity not casting Keanu... imo.

They should've cast Cho in Death Note, and just let Keanu be Spike.

But this probably had to do with salary/scheduling most likely.

Anyway, it's not that Cho couldn't play Spike's character, but action-star isn't anywhere on Cho's resume like Keanu. And well, when I think of Cowboy Bebop, I'm thinking space action adventure.

Cho's casting to me sounds like they intend to scale back heavily on any physical action part for more drama, unless they go with carefully choreographed stunt doubles, or Cho has fighting talent he's kept hidden all this time.

There are a few roles Keanu would fit like a glove, and I think Spike Spiegal would've been one of them. Basically a bit of Neo X John Wick, and the kind of stoicism that Keanu can do in his sleep, and reviving some Ted for when Spike needs to be in his sarcastic playful witty moods.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:45 am Reply with quote
They seriously think a live action version is going to work? Rolling Eyes
Richmyster84

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:23 am Reply with quote
Watch them make Ein a chihuahua xD
ranran-001

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:17 am Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
Steve Minecraft wrote:

No, not in this case. There's plenty of reason for Keanu to fit the part.

1. He can do martial arts.
2. He can also do fancy gun moves.
3. Spike's character was more laid back and soft spoken so even a type-cast Keanu largely fit that role pretty well. Even age-wise I think Keanu would've been good as a mob hit-man who's been around the block.

Such a missed opportunity not casting Keanu... imo.

They should've cast Cho in Death Note, and just let Keanu be Spike.

But this probably had to do with salary/scheduling most likely.

Anyway, it's not that Cho couldn't play Spike's character, but action-star isn't anywhere on Cho's resume like Keanu. And well, when I think of Cowboy Bebop, I'm thinking space action adventure.

Cho's casting to me sounds like they intend to scale back heavily on any physical action part for more drama, unless they go with carefully choreographed stunt doubles, or Cho has fighting talent he's kept hidden all this time.

There are a few roles Keanu would fit like a glove, and I think Spike Spiegal would've been one of them. Basically a bit of Neo X John Wick, and the kind of stoicism that Keanu can do in his sleep, and reviving some Ted for when Spike needs to be in his sarcastic playful witty moods.

If all you ever saw of Keanu Reeves was Bill and Ted and that Francis Ford Coppola Dracula film, you'd be saying the same things about Keanu as you would be saying about Cho. You'd say things like "This guy is in dumb comedies, and his English accent was awful, why'd they pick him for Speed, this sounds stupid."

The lead actor being a martial artist is not going to make the show better for it. IF it were the case, Steven Segal would have had an actual career. Look at Arnold Schwarzenegger, he lifts weights, but he isn't some MMA cage fighter, and yet he has been in plenty of action films. Same with Bill Paxton, who isn't exactly a military guy, yet he was a marine in Aliens.

Cho's experience with martial arts is not going to make the show worse or better off. It's a non-issue.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:01 am Reply with quote
Cho is horribly miscast. Too old, lacks the frame, etc.
Spoofer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:09 pm Reply with quote
ranran-001 wrote:

If all you ever saw of Keanu Reeves was Bill and Ted and that Francis Ford Coppola Dracula film, you'd be saying the same things about Keanu as you would be saying about Cho. You'd say things like "This guy is in dumb comedies, and his English accent was awful, why'd they pick him for Speed, this sounds stupid."

The lead actor being a martial artist is not going to make the show better for it. IF it were the case, Steven Segal would have had an actual career. Look at Arnold Schwarzenegger, he lifts weights, but he isn't some MMA cage fighter, and yet he has been in plenty of action films. Same with Bill Paxton, who isn't exactly a military guy, yet he was a marine in Aliens.

Cho's experience with martial arts is not going to make the show worse or better off. It's a non-issue.

Arnie's casting takes full advantage of his muscle. He doesn't fight via any specific martial art, he just overpowers people and spouts one liners. Paxton didn't have anything complex to do either, other than ad lib Game Over.

Spike on the other hand is a character who actually utilizes Jeet Kune Do. When he engages someone, he appears totally fluid, mirroring his character's disposition. His foot is regularly over his head. It's a completely different issue compared to Arnie and Hudson, and replicating a JKD practitioner onscreen would be a lot harder than most other onscreen violence where all you have to do is speed up and jumpcut some punches.

Given that fact, it would be nice if they had cast someone who actually practices some manner of martial arts who would be adept at truly selling the action the character was capable of showcasing in the original series, as I said before, without the use of blatantly obvious camera trickery or doubles. Even with camera trickery, I'm not sure that Cho is young and spy enough to sell it. At 50 something, for a Netflix series that will instantly be forgotten as soon as it drops, is he really gonna invest enough time and effort into learning how to sell a martial art, like Keanu studied multiple for in preperation for a blockbuster film when he was in his 30s? Keanu's getting older now too, and honestly I haven't seen any of the Wicks or much at all from him in the past decade, but I imagine he has the background and passion and body to approximate some impressive martial arts ability moreso than Cho (not that I expect him to be able to get his foot over his head). And Keanu certainly has a lot of other factors in his favor. But who knows, maybe Cho will surprise.

But since they were looking for diversity casting for the role, and since it's not like they were looking for a big name draw to begin with (I doubt Cho qualifies), that really woulda opened up the possibilities for finding an actual younger martial artist for the role beyond these two choices, as presumably there are a lot them out there photogenic/talented enough to be looking for their break.

Last edited by Spoofer on Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
jdnation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:22 pm Reply with quote
ranran-001 wrote:

Buddy, I've seen plenty a Keanu flick from Buddha to Point Break to Sweet November. And I didn't say Cho couldn't act the part as far as character.

But you are kidding if you think martial arts and action aren't a big part of Spike's character and Cowboy Bebop. Sure you could adapt it to be less so, and you could still make something good, but that would honestly suck in comparison to the anime we know, and frankly I'd skip it. So to many of us, who they've chosen to cast kinda tells us what they have in mind. Though the moment this project went from movie to TV show, already had us setting our expectations low in terms of what kind of scale this will cover.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Spoofer wrote:
ranran-001 wrote:

Arnie's casting takes full advantage of his muscle. He doesn't fight via any specific martial art, he just overpowers people and spouts one liners. Paxton didn't have anything complex to do either, other than ad lib Game Over.

Spike on the other hand is a character who actually utilizes Jeet Kune Do. When he engages someone, he appears totally fluid, mirroring his character's disposition. His foot is regularly over his head. It's a completely different issue compared to Arnie and Hudson, and replicating a JKD practitioner onscreen would be a lot harder than most other onscreen violence where all you have to do is speed up and jumpcut some punches.

Given that fact, it would be nice if they had cast someone who actually practices some manner of martial arts who would be adept at truly selling the action the character was capable of showcasing in the original series, as I said before, without the use of blatantly obvious camera trickery or doubles. Even with camera trickery, I'm not sure that Cho is young and spy enough to sell it. At 50 something, for a Netflix series that will instantly be forgotten as soon as it drops, is he really gonna invest enough time and effort into learning how to sell a martial art, like Keanu studied multiple for in preperation for a blockbuster film when he was in his 30s? Keanu's getting older now too, and honestly I haven't seen any of the Wicks or much at all from him in the past decade, but I imagine he has the background and passion and body to approximate some impressive martial arts ability moreso than Cho (not that I expect him to be able to get his foot over his head). And Keanu certainly has a lot of other factors in his favor. But who knows, maybe Cho will surprise.

But since they were looking for diversity casting for the role, and since it's not like they were looking for a big name draw to begin with (I doubt Cho qualifies), that really woulda opened up the possibilities for finding an actual younger martial artist for the role beyond these two choices, as presumably there are a lot them out there photogenic/talented enough to be looking for their break.

Is Scarlett Johanson a martial artist? No. Is Jeremy Renner an expert bowman? No. Is Matt Damon a cage fighter? Does Harrison Ford punch white supremacists and nazis in his off time? No. All of them got opportunities to be in action films.

Martial arts expertise isn't required, so long as the action scenes are directed with skill and that Cho is able to do just enough in the scenes as required to make it look like he's in the thick of the action. They have trainers, choreographers, and stunt people for a reason.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:27 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
ranran-001 wrote:

Buddy, I've seen plenty a Keanu flick from Buddha to Point Break to Sweet November. And I didn't say Cho couldn't act the part as far as character.

But you are kidding if you think martial arts and action aren't a big part of Spike's character and Cowboy Bebop. Sure you could adapt it to be less so, and you could still make something good, but that would honestly suck in comparison to the anime we know, and frankly I'd skip it. So to many of us, who they've chosen to cast kinda tells us what they have in mind. Though the moment this project went from movie to TV show, already had us setting our expectations low in terms of what kind of scale this will cover.

Again, if all of Keanu Reeves you ever saw, consisted of Bill and Ted films and that Dracula flick, you'd still be saying the exact same things applied to Keanu like you are applying to Cho. Whether you want to see where I'm approaching this discussion is on you not me.
Spoofer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:07 pm Reply with quote
ranran-001 wrote:

Is Scarlett Johanson a martial artist? No. Is Jeremy Renner an expert bowman? No. Is Matt Damon a cage fighter? Does Harrison Ford punch white supremacists and nazis in his off time? No. All of them got opportunities to be in action films.

Martial arts expertise isn't required, so long as the action scenes are directed with skill and that Cho is able to do just enough in the scenes as required to make it look like he's in the thick of the action. They have trainers, choreographers, and stunt people for a reason.

If you're genuinely attempting to use Marvel to argue in your favor, this debate is pointless, as we're on entirely different levels in terms of what we consider to be both good films, and good action/martial arts in film.

You're free to continue at your baseline. Don't get so worked up about those of us that hope and look for more.

As far as the whole Keanu thing, again, I have no idea how you don't see the distinction between action films and martial arts or fight choreography in film. Speed is not a martial arts movie. The most combat Keanu ever saw in Speed was when he rolled around with Dennis Hopper for a minute or so on top of a subway car. And it was probably necessary for Speed to exist before Keanu was offered the role in The Matrix. He came to be where he was then, and is now, in gradual steps.

However, rewatching Die Hard today, I'm reminded of how Bruce Willis reinvented himself after Moonlighting, and blew everyone away in this. And Die Hard is indeed a classic. It is pretty distracting how obvious his stunt double is in almost every action scene, but I digress. And all of those action scenes were again, straight up man brawling.

Bebop and Spike both pay heavy homage to Bruce Lee, whose films showcase exemplary displays of martial art abilities and classic choreography, without any of today's most obnoxious film gimmicks and CGI turning them into generic Summer Hollywood trash where you're constantly smacked in the face with how phony and fabricated everything is.

As Bruce Lee exemplifies quality and authentic genre filmmaking, so too did Bebop, featuring some of the best animated choreography and fluidity in anime. The bar is exceptionally high with this property's history and influences. We think it would be nice if Netflix could've bothered to find someone who could approximate those standards and make the actor look believable (by our standards, rather than yours) in his fighting ability.

Again, I'm not looking for some generic schlock. This is Bebop. I'm simply saying my standards for some authentic and genuine-looking martial arts ability, as one of the primary hooks for the character, with fluidity mirroring the character's core narrative (in all ways but Julia, anyway), are higher than what you see in most blockbuster schlock these days. Again, Keanu ain't Bruce Lee, lol, but he at least has put himself through a lot of training in his life, and he's a really sympathetic guy who is on record for how much he is passionate about Bebop. But as I said earlier, if not Keanu, and honestly instead of Keanu (and Cho), it would've been nice if Netflix had poached one of the countless up-and-comers with one foot in acting and one foot in martial arts to really give Spike that believable and authentic feel.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6