• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga Answerman - What Are The Best Digital Manga Services?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:43 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
I have been buying Gunsmith Cats and Gunsmith Cats Burst on the Amazon Kindle, its been great. Now I am hoping Dark Horse puts out Cannon God Exaxxion, along with Johji Manabe's Outlanders, Drakuun, and Caravan Kidd.

Amazon Kindle has been good to me, though there are a few exceptions where for whatever reason they refuse to release a print manga title digitally. And then you have to get it from another digital platform.

It's because of Comixology's censorship policies why Amazon US won't release certain titles on Kindle since they are the same service now. (Amazon JP is entirely different)

For To Love Ru Darkness vol.2 and later:
https://twitter.com/gomanga/status/979428889696055298
Quote:
Kindle/comiXology (later volumes not available due to mature content)

For The Testament of Sister New Devil STORM!
https://twitter.com/gomanga/status/1060997547261489152
Quote:
THE TESTAMENT OF SISTER NEW DEVIL STORM! Vol. 1-5 (complete) got too hot for Kindle/comiXology Get the ebooks on these platforms instead:

MAGIKA SWORDSMAN AND SUMMONER is another Seven Seas title that had previously been banned by Amazon US / Comixology but is now available. I don't see that changing at all with the other two titles however.

I use Kindle for other regular books, but avoid it for manga due to censorship and due to lower resolution limits for images. For now, I use Bookwalker and Kobo. I was able to get the entire series of Domestic Girlfriend for 50% off during one of their sales. Their points system is a useful incentive but there are time restrictions and I get tired of keeping track.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:59 am Reply with quote
I've been pretty happy with Renta! for my trashy digital manga needs.

The neglect shown to Crunchyroll Manga is a shame. The iOS app is infrequently updated and sometimes needs a reinstall just to log in. Series are just dumped into the service willy-nilly, so it's hard to find something you'd like. Just curating them into shonen/shojo/seinen/josei buckets (or implementing a more robust tagging system) would be a big help.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:40 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
The neglect shown to Crunchyroll Manga is a shame. The iOS app is infrequently updated and sometimes needs a reinstall just to log in. Series are just dumped into the service willy-nilly, so it's hard to find something you'd like. Just curating them into shonen/shojo/seinen/josei buckets (or implementing a more robust tagging system) would be a big help.

They have the audience numbers. They know their audience's tastes as their main product caters to those same people. They have the platform to integrate it all. They have a big community to get feedback and arrange surveys to help develop and expand. They're a brand that's relatively known. All in all they have the perfect prerequisites for a launch of such a service.

And what do they do with it all? Confused
Brand

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:14 pm Reply with quote
I have to pretty much agree with Crunchyroll Manga. The browser version, is not good. The app (Android in my case) works well when it works but has weird bugs. I have read entire series though Crunchyroll Manga but there are a few I started that just stopped getting updated. Donyatsu got to five volumes and stop updating. How to Keep a Mummy stopped updating and then just stopped being on their service.

I've used Renta which but the titles are limited to a few genres. And it doesn't seem to have an app anymore? I swear it did at one point.

I've also used eManga but yeah I wouldn't "buy" anything new from them (unless it offered a download also) since DMP is in such bad shape.

And then I've bought a couple of the Kodansha Humble Bundles. Which I can't complain about.

I even used to subscribe to Jmanga back in the day.

While I get that there won't be one giant legit manga reading site I do wish there was some like the all you can eat model and more content.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:34 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
I have been buying Gunsmith Cats and Gunsmith Cats Burst on the Amazon Kindle, its been great. Now I am hoping Dark Horse puts out Cannon God Exaxxion, along with Johji Manabe's Outlanders, Drakuun, and Caravan Kidd.

Amazon Kindle has been good to me, though there are a few exceptions where for whatever reason they refuse to release a print manga title digitally. And then you have to get it from another digital platform.

Yeah,they stopped the digital releases of To Love-Ru Darkness after the first volumes,so you have to get them elsewhere
MetalEmolga7

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:19 am Reply with quote
Daizo wrote:
Quote:
not to mention more “adult” offerings like BL, gay or ero-manga?

Wow, bringing up eromanga but not mentioning Fakku? You're missing out bigtime Wink

Fakku is fine if your looking for seinen ero-manga but if your into BL or TL it's offerings are pretty slim.

For the most part I use Renta primarily because it has the types of manga I like.
graywolf323

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:22 am Reply with quote
Morry wrote:
Comixology is my go-to. I've had no issue with buying for my digital library and they have practically all the manga I'd want to buy digital.

they also have weekly sales from both Viz & Kodansha which is nice
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2