• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Inazuma Eleven Ares Anime Premieres on Disney XD on April 13

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:57 am Reply with quote
RenRen94 wrote:

There's no excuse for Haizaki's name change. Elliot Embers???? The guy uses penguin shoots for crying out loud! I have no idea what kind of name you'd get from that, but dangit be consistent Laughing

In looking up the kanji for Ryouhei Haizaki's name, 灰崎 凌兵, I can see some justification for it. 灰 = ash, dust, ember, cremation, etc. It's the same "hai" as Haibane Renmei, AKA "Charcoal Feathers Federation."
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:37 am Reply with quote
lumclaw wrote:
I have to give them credit. They're this determined to sweep the second and third games under the rug, in the hope US fans forget about it. The first game was put on the eShop to fade into obscurity.

Makes sense when you remember it was a belated port.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:34 pm Reply with quote
"Inazuma" is fine, but Yuma is not? I don't get it.

Still, I'm glad Disney Anime hyper is open to kids anime when no one else is.
RenRen94

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
RenRen94 wrote:

There's no excuse for Haizaki's name change. Elliot Embers???? The guy uses penguin shoots for crying out loud! I have no idea what kind of name you'd get from that, but dangit be consistent Laughing

In looking up the kanji for Ryouhei Haizaki's name, 灰崎 凌兵, I can see some justification for it. 灰 = ash, dust, ember, cremation, etc. It's the same "hai" as Haibane Renmei, AKA "Charcoal Feathers Federation."

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for the info!
Steve Minecraft

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
RenRen94 wrote:

Every anime out there has wordplay going on with character names, but it's usually only series being marketed to kids that think translating the puns is acceptable. Older anime fans don't really stand for that kind of stuff, which is why you won't see Crunchyroll doing it for their translations.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:08 am Reply with quote
They're trying to sell toys to kids. Older anime fans don't buy those toys.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:52 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
They're trying to sell toys to kids. Older anime fans don't buy those toys.

And even when they DO try to sell Japanese toy-franchises to kids, dear lord, what a flailing, idiosyncratic 00's/10's-comedy mess Yo-Kai Watch turned out to be--
Okay, that sure didn't turn out to be the show we (or Disney) expected it to see tuning in, did it? Laughing

While the Doraemon dub wasn't bad, and even got some popularity, it's possible both experiences may have soured Disney on the idea of anime-for-anime's-sake children's-comedy dub imports, and led them to circle the wagons around game franchises that they at least know will be sold stateside.
Inverti Herikawa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:58 am Reply with quote
If the only thing that's changed are the names, and nothing else, the dub is much preferable than the JP ver. At least it doesn't have Ayumu Murase's grating preteen voice as the protag. Kyle McCarley is a way better choice for Sonny by far.

Seriously, English IE always had localized names. Not even sure why y'all are surprised now.

And for all intents and purposes, this seems to be the best IE dub so far, especially when you compare it to the Animax dub for the original IE series.

Calling it now: I'm pretty sure this isn't going to be another Glitter Force abomination.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2