• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: AnimEigo Reveals Megazone 23 Anime as 'Next Project'

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:06 am Reply with quote
Bamble wrote:

Assuming they have all three original OVAs, I wonder if this means AnimEigo potentially also have access to the alternate ending footage to the first MegaZone 23 that was created for Robotech: The Movie? This footage has been previously released on Japanese issues of MegaZone 23 Part II on Laserdisk and DVD.

Interesting to note that all three parts of MegaZone 23 have more than one English dub from various sources.

MegaZone 23
1986 - Harmony Gold (included for completion, but doesn't really count; heavily re-edited to form the bulk of Robotech: The Movie)
1995 - Streamline
2004 - ADV

MegaZone 23 Part II
1987 - International dub
2004 - ADV

MegaZone 23 Part III
1995 - Manga Video
2004 - ADV

It would be nice if, Discotek-style, all the dubs (obviously excepting the edited Robotech one) were preserved.

Ironically, it might be the case that the newest dubs from ADV are the most questionable for a potential new release, given events earlier this year.

Well, they wouldn't be doing the Robotech movie dub because the footage was edited.
The film itself is in a legal void and has been disowned by all parties involved. It's bad... It's not the worst anime feature out there -- you should see Korean Tron! -- but it's not great, either.

As far as the extra footage of MZ-23 Part 1 created for Robotech: The Movie? I happen to still own the Megazone 23 Laserdisc box set you mentioned and I've seen the isolated extra footage -- it's nothing to write home about. It adds nothing to MegaZone itself.

That MZ-23 LD box set has only the first two OVA's in it because the third one was done by a different production company. The "International Dub" of MZ-23 Part 2 was done by Harmony Gold with a lot of the voice actors involved in Robotech. They changed the name of the characters from Japanese to English. I think the only character who kept her original name was Eve! The dub was okay -- nothing to write home about.

MZ-23 Part 3 being dubbed by Manga Video first is news to me. I don't think they ever released that OVA in the US prior to ADV getting the rights and releasing MZ on three DVDs. Of course, I never heard the Manga Video dub. They did a lot European-only releases in addition to international releases like the original Ghost in the Shell feature film.

I can't recall EVER seeing the Harmony Gold dub of Megazone 23 Part 2 before getting the laserdisc box set. It's possible I saw it on a VHS tape somebody duped from his LD copy before I got mine... I just never saw a lot of HG's dub work released in the US. A lot of what they did ended up being broadcast or shown theatrically outside of the US and didn't show up here unless some other company licensed that work. Windaria, for instance, was dubbed by HG but released on VHS by Streamline Pictures and later on DVD (under the title "Once Upon A Time") by ADV Films. And yes, that was a title where they did NOT include the Japanese audio track on the DVD. I don't know that the film was severely edited -- I think it was mostly rewritten with narration at the beginning of the film but as far as massive footage editing I never saw that. It didn't have screwy footage edits; the only screwy thing was the narration by the Professor (Russell Johnson, Gilligan's Island) at the start of the movie which confused the situation about WHOSE funeral was taking place.
Mamo-chan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:11 am Reply with quote
YES! I love you AnimEigo! I was hoping for Megazone 23 Blu-ray to be subtitled for blu-ray by either Discotek or AnimEigo.
My wish has come true. Now I don't have to search for the out of print blu-ray discs off ebay. That will save me a lot of money.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:04 am Reply with quote
Glad their doing justice to the OVAs.

I'm little concern how their going pull off new material for the show. I though anime costed way more what has been pledged unless i miss read somewhere their getting the cash from.

I just hope its done right, alot newer animes have been hit and miss with CG and blending.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:26 pm Reply with quote
From what I understand the Kickstarter is similar to Bean Bandit and they’re gonna shop the pilot around to various companies *coughNetflixcough* in the hopes of getting a series greenlit off the strength of the pilot.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:35 pm Reply with quote
jreffner wrote:
Is there anywhere we can be notified when it is time to pledge or pre-order?

Get a Kickstarter account, and search for and follow Robert Woodhead, he makes the announcements for Animeigo.

But I don't think there is any great rush, this is a very early announcement. This came at the end of an update for Gunsmith Cats, which said that GSC will probably release in mid to late June. And when they do start the kickstarter for MegaZone, it will be covered in the news here. So there is plenty of time.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
From what I understand the Kickstarter is similar to Bean Bandit and they’re gonna shop the pilot around to various companies *coughNetflixcough* in the hopes of getting a series greenlit off the strength of the pilot.

May I ask, where did you hear that?
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Nom De Plume De Fanboy wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:

May I ask, where did you hear that?

The remake? An article on this website.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-03-24/megazone-23-reboot-project-only-remakes-part-i-and-ii/.144973

Quote:
The staff for project hopes to green-light production on a television anime, and the staff hopes that the crowdfunded promotional video will help in preparing for that production. AIC also plans to develop the franchise into multiple media, and Megazone 23 SIN will form the foundation of that franchise.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

AnimEigo has nothing to do with the Megazone 23 remake & sequel that's currently in the works. They simply announced that they will be doing a Kickstarter for a new English release of the original OVAs on Blu-Ray, just like what they did for Bubblegum Crisis, Otaku no Video, Riding Bean, & Gunsmith Cats.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:33 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
FLCLGainax wrote:
GeorgeC wrote:

Streamline and Orion/Image had the rights previously. Image (laserdisc licensor; major early licensor/releaser of anime on DVD) did the first Western release of Megazone 23 on DVD. That was with the Streamline dub-only; there were no releases of Streamline-licensed anime on DVD there bilingual to my knowledge.
Incorrect. I have the Image DVD and it has the Japanese audio on it with subtitles.

Really? News to me.

Streamline didn't always include Japanese audio in their releases.
I can vouch for them NOT putting subtitles on the few laserdisc releases they had. They didn't want to pay for the subtitle captioning!
Yes. It was one of the few Streamline Image DVDs that included Japanese audio and also may have been the only one with subtitles that aren't a transcription of the English dub. The subtitles aren't as thorough as the later ADV one and are in a plain white font like the early CPM DVDs.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Nom De Plume De Fanboy wrote:
jreffner wrote:
Is there anywhere we can be notified when it is time to pledge or pre-order?

Get a Kickstarter account, and search for and follow Robert Woodhead, he makes the announcements for Animeigo.

Thing is, do we really WANT to encourage Robert Woodhead??
Yes, I was there in the 90's too, and got every UY tape and DVD from the mail service up through 2005, but it's not the 90's anymore. Especially in the anime industry.

Woodhead himself turned his back on the company to spend--how many years?--letting his licenses dry up and blow away while AnimEigo released every conceivable live-action samurai-gore cut of "Shogun Assassin".
And now, because he discovered Kickstarter, he wants to jump back into anime with the last few licenses that he still remembers, even though the entire anime industry came through the 00's Bubble to become three or four mega-labels and two streaming services.
Now, it seems like every vintage title Bob wants to Kickstarter is one more vintage classic he's stolen out of the mouths of Discotek to do his own little rinky-dink 90's garage version (Viz, get your hands on Urusei Yatsura before he tries to again!!), and not in our neighborhood, pal.

It's not just the feelings of "Betrayal", "hypocrisy" and "desperation"--It's the idea that while we applaud AnimEigo's contributions to the early days, we'd rather they retire on their historic laurels to the same hall of fame where the late Carl Macek now resides.
You don't give your welfare-baby up for adoption, and then twelve years later, out of the blue, say "Come back to mommy!" if the kid's already happy with a rich family and going to private school.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:54 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:

And now, because he discovered Kickstarter, he wants to jump back into anime with the last few licenses that he still remembers, even though the entire anime industry came through the 00's Bubble to become three or four mega-labels and two streaming services.
Now, it seems like every vintage title Bob wants to Kickstarter is one more vintage classic he's stolen out of the mouths of Discotek to do his own little rinky-dink 90's garage version (Viz, get your hands on Urusei Yatsura before he tries to again!!), and not in our neighborhood, pal.

It's not just the feelings of "Betrayal", "hypocrisy" and "desperation"--It's the idea that while we applaud AnimEigo's contributions to the early days, we'd rather they retire on their historic laurels to the same hall of fame where the late Carl Macek now resides.
You don't give your welfare-baby up for adoption, and then twelve years later, out of the blue, say "Come back to mommy!" if the kid's already happy with a rich family and going to private school.

Dude, you're a a few years too late to complain about AnimEigo's return via crowdfunding, because Robet Woodhead has made involving the fans to produce the best possible products a major focus since the Bubblegum Crisis Kickstarter a few years ago, already. I don't think I've heard a single major complaint about any of these releases from a technical standpoint, not to mention the fact that Woodhead has managed to get 100% brand new artwork done solely for these releases by Kenichi Sonoda himself (as well as even getting him to record brand new commentaries for at least Riding Bean), so to call them "rinky-dink 90's garage versions" is downright insulting to the efforts that have been given towards these releases.

Also, to expect Discotek Media to be the one & only company to handle vintage anime releases is absurd & selfish. There are only so many people who work with that company & can only handle so many releases at once (Justin Sevakis makes no qualms about how much work he & everyone else does for those BDs), so it's only natural that Discotek can't possibly do ever single one of them; they literally don't have the manpower (or money, even) to do that. Also, having more companies involved in releasing vintage anime is generally a good thing, because it shows that there is a market now for it, which is the opposite of how things were just a decade ago. Finally, even Discotek has stuff that it won't touch, and that's where other companies like AnimEigo can come in & fill a gap.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:52 am Reply with quote
Hey, if Voice-Actors and D&D-inspired Critical Role Kickstarter (e.g. Laura Bailey, Matthew Mercer, etc.) could get $10 Million in just weeks, this should be a cinch for just a fraction of that! Laughing
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:41 am Reply with quote
The kickstarter for Megazone went live yesterday, it is at $90,800 with 548 backers as of now. Minimum goal is $100,000; looks like they'll make that easily.

Interesting to me, the lowest tier with disks is $60, which is twice what it was for Gunsmith Cats. But Megazone has easily twice the running time, and is going to be on two BDs, so that may have something to do with it. Anyway, it does not seem to be holding back the funding for the project.

A little aside: just got an update for Gunsmith, and it sounds good, so disks in September, hopefully. Very Happy
Marzan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:10 am Reply with quote
They only ship to the US. Us in Europe are once again in licensing limbo
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:35 pm Reply with quote
My only experience with Megazone 23 was I watched the sub of Part I and the infamous Robotech The Movie years ago. I never watched Part II and III because of the mixed reception I heard towards them. Maybe I'll watch the other parts one day. I remember enjoying it a lot, especially the cool mecha and motorcycle designs, the whole concept of Eve, and the truth about what's really going on with the story. It makes me wonder if Chiaki J Konaka was influenced by it any when he did Big O.

I remember feeling like the Robotech version would have been better without the added Southern Cross footage and if they just had the Robotech references in the dialog. The cuts to the Southern Cross footage is really jarring and painfully obvious and it just doesn't add anything to the story at all and if anything just becomes a major distraction. I still sometimes get that "The Future Is Now" song stuck in my head. It was always random how Harmony Gold actually kept some of the more graphic violence in the Robotech version in spite of the TV show being aimed at kids at the time.

Interestingly even though Harmony Gold disavowed their cut of the film, you can still see the Southern Cross footage they reworked for the movie as an extra on some of their DVD releases of Robotech. I'm wondering if Carl Macek had to license Megazone 23 again when Streamline dubbed it and how did he convince the Japanese licensors to give him a second chance to do an uncut dub. Megazone 23 is a great, if not always perfect, classic that I'm glad to see being rescued licensed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2