• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Isekai Quartet (TV)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:56 am Reply with quote

Isekai Quartet (TV)

Genres: Fantasy, Comedy
Themes: Isekai, School life

Plot Summary
Quote:
One day, a magic button suddenly appears. The protagonists in KonoSuba, Overlord, Re:Zero − Starting Life in Another World, and The Saga of Tanya the Evil all press the button and move to a parallel world — another brand new isekai — at where a new story featuring with high school life begins.

---------------------------------------------------
Episode 1

Maybe this won't be worth an entire topic in its own, having weaker animation by being chibi, and only half length episodes by the looks of it, I still think is enough of note to have this crazy actual crossover series to have something. After all, these franchises all have a thing in common as main characters who from pretty much the normal world, yet also drastically different from each other in tone. I would say that the four of them are also some of the most notable of the genre.

You have Konosuba that makes a big joke of the whole other world thing, with characters who are simultaneously great, but also the worst. Overlord is pretty much villains, with a main character mostly trying to live up to the reputation on him rather than who he originally was, while also getting pretty dark in what overpowered villains get up to. Saga of Tanya the Evil has the matter of fact of a office worker, that pretty much becomes the devil while in the body of a young girl, where he logically sees a path to end conflict, and fight against higher power. And Re:Zero has some of the normal trapping of the genre with a geek hero, but has the wish fulfilment flipped on its head.

Most of the first episode seemed set on just introducing the different elements of the different franchise characters, Kazuma's crazy companions, Ainz's evil companions, Tanya's logic and manic outbursts, and just an intro of Subaru and gang that looked mostly happy. I guess also in lines of their little joke series that I think each one of them had. The real humour is going to come with how they will cross with each other, like imagining that Subaru and Kazuma could be quick friends, and opposing harems. Ainz and Tanya could connect as previous lives of office workers that are now pretty much evil. Kazuma and Tanya might have the inner criticism to situations they are in. And Ainz and Subaru.... maybe berserker harem member.

Anyway, I hope for just some fun with this.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:40 am Reply with quote
There are way too many cheap looking short gags series this season.

Episode 1

And this is just one more. I would have thought that just playing off the characters with one another would have been enough for a full series, especially if it's coupled with the classic "high school"... "classic" high school setting but with this many characters in this length of time, I think it's either too many characters or too little time. Maybe if they just focused on the leads rather than filling up an entire classroom?
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Kinda cool to have all these characters in the same building. There's a ton of potential for all kinds of shaenigans. Seems like a ton of fun.
miketan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:51 pm Reply with quote
watched episode 1.
this anime is overrated.
"cheap" quality production.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Isn't it a bit early to be calling this series overrrated when it's only the first episode that's been out for a day? Sure, I can totally understand not liking the first episode, but I don't think it's been out long enough to be over-hyped. Prior to its release, I saw it mentioned maybe three of four times, but only knew the basic premise and not much else.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:30 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

What do you know, Aqua actually can take on Ainz, a single Turn Undead being able to shake him and apparently incapacitate Shaltear. Maybe an effect of being on the same playing field since Aqua is an actual goddess has automatic max stats with her priestess spell ability. I think she once used what would normally be a pretty low water spell and accidentally created a flood. Aqua is a cleric to herself? Already funny is freaked by the power imbalance. Wonder how Tanya is going to react to Aqua calling herself a goddess.

Also Subaru trolling Beatrice.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:15 am Reply with quote
These episodes end too quickly. Sad

DuskyPredator wrote:
Wonder how Tanya is going to react to Aqua calling herself a goddess

Oh right, that's a good point. Also I wonder how Ainz's henchmen (particularly Albedo and Shalltear) are gonna treat Aqua from now on.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Finally some extensive interactions between the different casts. Kazuma might think Subaru's got it great, but Subaru's certainly gone through far more suffering. Than again, Kazuma does die about as often as Subaru does. Wonder if even in this other world Subaru can't tell anyone about his Return by Death.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4

Got to be some irony in Kazuma accusing Subaru of having too good luck, when Kazuma's defining skill is his luck, and Subaru has been through some pretty horrible things and a dark aura around him. Granted, Subaru's has maybe been on the more romantic side, while Kazuma's lot are a bunch of dorks. Feels like a long awaited moment to see Kazuma and Subaru to bond, but kind of fitting that Kazuma would get annoyed and jealous. Also an Ainz and Tanya bonding, from both being ex salarymen. Each pair also has one who reincarnated and the other that was transported.

Seems clear what Aqua would plan for the talent show, parlour tricks were literally everything she poured her experience points into. Kind of worried what Megumin's might be, since the two of them maybe seemed to smile in the same way. And brought back that Tanya was sick of the food in her world, such as finding the meat too bitter. Good details. Almost forgot that Ram is in love with Roswaal as explanation for her agreeing to his wishes.

Back to earlier, was literally saying that Rem could just carry Subaru to go quicker. Followed by laughing when apparently Kazuma had made Darkness do the same.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 2:59 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Almost forgot that Ram is in love with Roswaal as explanation for her agreeing to his wishes.

She is? Damn, I can't remember that at all.
SomeHero

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:34 pm Reply with quote
At the Beginning of all These Animes, the Main Guys are Otaku Shut ins (yeh yeh, theoretical they Salaryman, pff. They barely have any Sozialice). But at last Subaru changes to ,pay Attention to his Surroundings`. I was an Fan of Lord Ainz until they made more stuff that i could handle, so i lost a Little Interest in him and his Hare... erm Floorkeepers. Tanya was a Little to Gore for me, so i barely watched him / her. Wonder if Diablo and his Melon smuggling Elf and A-Cup Catgirl would fit in those whole Thing xD
SomeHero

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:34 pm Reply with quote
At the Beginning of all These Animes, the Main Guys are Otaku Shut ins (yeh yeh, theoretical they Salaryman, pff. They barely have any Sozialice). But at last Subaru changes to ,pay Attention to his Surroundings`. I was an Fan of Lord Ainz until they made more stuff that i could handle, so i lost a Little Interest in him and his Hare... erm Floorkeepers. Tanya was a Little to Gore for me, so i barely watched him / her. Wonder if Diablo and his Melon smuggling Elf and A-Cup Catgirl would fit in those whole Thing xD
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:13 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

A sports festival. What is really funny with the community, is that after last week when another class was revealed people were joking/theorizing that Yunyun might be in class 3 by herself, and that is exactly what happened in this episode. Even her imaginary friends treat her like as a gopher, Kazuma and Subaru feeling the pity. Even Cocytus, so troubled with emotion, had trouble with Megumin's bullying of Yunyun.

The other surprise arrival was in the formation of a teacher team, which consisted of not only Roswaal and Vanir, but the only other logical choice of Pandora's Actor, which meant a team of three of the largest hams from Re:Zero, Konosuba and Overlord. And poor Rerugun, who usually has trouble with personality of Tanya, completely out of his depth with some of the largest personalities in Isekai. What I found pretty funny was how PA said "Greater Teleportation" Was just like how it was done in a recent Pure Pure Pleiades, the chibi version of Overlord, that after PA in the form of Ainz acted hammy, everyone in Nazarick practiced spells like Greater Teleportation in that way.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:13 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

End of season, the characters won the competition and get what is coming to them, which did not mean they get back to their worlds, because second season is apparently incoming. I would totally be up for another season, which could give chances for more interactions. Maybe cool but a little frustrating, is that transfer student was hinted at, which would hopefully mean a 5th series getting in on the mess. I can see a number of good choices, like NGNL, Shield Hero, Reincarnated Slime, but I assume the reason would be copyright relevant since I understand that it was part of the reason these four series were put together.

Anticipation aside, I enjoyed Isekai Quartet. Indeed it was short length so sometimes it was just going through scenarios and not every character got equal treatment. Still, it had great moments of questions, like what would happen if any of the protagonists met, especially great Ainz and Aqua, really Aqua had some of the best interactions with others. I have seen some pretty hot fighting about people being upset by a joke character like Aqua could potentially overcome a character built up as so perfect and unstoppable, while I think there is just a misunderstanding about tone differences, and Aqua just happens to be his exact weakness. Where Aqua can't beat a giant frog with her 'ultimate' attack, yet with a spell Ainz recognizes as weak can suddenly hit him hard.

I enjoyed my time with this show and would love to see more. I give this season a rating of Very good (8/10), don't miss it. There are things like maybe hopefully see Megumin and Emilia interact more, since they share a voice actor that could be funny. Maybe Yunyun could have classmates?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:49 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 4

Lol, Ainz tries to cheat at a test by using time stop, one of his most powerful spells, and Aqua happens to be immune to it, again a case of the almighty Ainz being matched by Aqua of all personalities. Also, Tanya was immune I guess because when she talks to Being X time generally appears to stop, and Subaru is also immune, I guess from whatever the witch curse thing that can pull him back through time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2