• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokémon's Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution Film's Trailer Reveals Returning Guest Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
El Hermano

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Aca Vuksa wrote:
Sword and Shield anime plots is gonna be more badass than SM right now!!!

Not exactly a hard thing to do.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:23 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Dear GOD this full CGI looks like garbage.

The new Dragon Quest movie "Your Story" looks rather good, but yeah most if not all CGI films from Japan look terrible
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
El Hermano

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
The new Dragon Quest movie "Your Story" looks rather good, but yeah most if not all CGI films from Japan look terrible

It's all personal preference. I've seen people swear by Hoseki no Kuni's CG but find it to be just as unwatchable and unappealing as anything else. Age might be a factor. I'm in my 30s Younger fans seem more open to CGI since it's all they've ever known so they're pretty much used to it, but I grew up on traditional animation so that's my preference so all these types of films and show just look unwatchable.
CANimeFan88

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:44 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering when they would announce famous Japanese voice actor Koichi Yamadera as the voice of Mew (since he was always the voice of the that pokemon). Plus, it's also nice that this has Unsho Ishizuka's involvement.

michaeltanzer wrote:
Why not release it in Japanese with English subtitles instead?

That will NEVER happen, EVER. Pokemon is still one of the few anime series release in the west with no Japanese audio/subtitles, episodes that previously aired on TV pulled from DVD Releases etc.

As for this remake, i'm going to have to give this one a hard pass.

You're so mean.

As sad as it is that The Pokemon Company is so adamant on marketing this franchise in North America in the English language only, I still think would be a good idea to purchase the Blu-Ray and DVD copies of the anime series and films (the more recent ones anyway) straight from Japan so we can give it our support as English-speaking otaku in the west. It should pay off somehow.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:56 pm Reply with quote
I find a bit weird they didn't remade the first movie last year for the 20th anniversary (Mewtwo's Counterattack came in '98 in Japan). Anyway, I don't think that the anime humans designs translate well into 3D, which is weird considering that the new Pokémon games are in 3D, but those are cel-shaded while this movie has a more "realistic" rendering. Aside from that I hope that when this movie gets translated, the dub will be more in line with the original script instead of how the original film was adapted by 4Kids.
Also, the latin spanish version will sound weird because while most characters will probably retain their original voices, Ash won't be voiced by his original voice actor, even though he always says he would love to voice Ash again (he had to abandon the role when he moved to another country, and although he came back the dubbing studio said TPCI didn't want to change Ash's voice again). Something similiar can be said of the English version, I know that they changed the voices for all characters in the mid '00s.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:56 pm Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:

It's all personal preference. I've seen people swear by Hoseki no Kuni's CG but find it to be just as unwatchable and unappealing as anything else. Age might be a factor. I'm in my 30s Younger fans seem more open to CGI since it's all they've ever known so they're pretty much used to it, but I grew up on traditional animation so that's my preference so all these types of films and show just look unwatchable.

So basically you just equated yourself to an old fogey who can’t just get with the times. Man that is both pitiable & hilarious. Laughing
ballinamon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:08 am Reply with quote
Oh man, seems true shit.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:28 am Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
So basically you just equated yourself to an old fogey who can’t just get with the times. Man that is both pitiable & hilarious. Laughing

I think it's more people from my generation are more privileged since we never had to choose. These days, if you're a fan of western animation, you have to accept CGI. There was a lot of pushback from people back in the day and attempts to save 2D animation. It's a non-negotiable part of the industry now since 2D movies do not exist anymore. Getting mad at a movie being CG is akin to being mad at a dog for barking, it's just how things are now. Those who grew up recently never had to go through those growing pains with the transition of the industry.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:29 am Reply with quote
I'm in my 30s and basically fine with CG as long as it looks good. Is being in your 30s the new 40s?
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:37 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I'm in my 30s and basically fine with CG as long as it looks good. Is being in your 30s the new 40s?

Apparently so.

Honestly it just sounds like more excuses to complain.
Steve Minecraft

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
While I'm not impressed with the CGI of this remake so far, there's plenty of good CGI animation out there like most of Pixar's work and Sony's work on Into the Spiderverse. The thing people have to keep in mind is Japan is about twenty years behind everyone else when it comes to making full CGI animated works.

I've never been a fan of Pixar's designs. Ditto for Spider-Verse's art style and choppy animation.

I wouldn't say Japan is behind on CGI work. It's all about budget. That Transformers Cyberverse cartoon looks like total garbage with how low budget the CGI is. Every American CGI show on TV does. The Resident Evil and Final Fantasy CGI movies are pretty good though, and about the only CGI films I can stand to watch. Maybe since the video games themselves are already CGI graphics so it's not jarring to see like established 2D franchises like Pokemon and One Piece suddenly being in CGI.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2