• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Indie Voice Actress Phan Masaki Recounts Tales of Unwanted Sexual Attention from Fans

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Niyari

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:04 pm Reply with quote
yea... i wouldn't want to be female voice actor on twitter, much less one for adult works. you need thick skin for it. i really only follow vtubers on twitter and almost every single one of them have to put the "direct messages are for business purposes" disclaimer in their profile. i can only imagine how bad it must be for those in the eroge industry.
StarfighterPegasus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:19 pm Reply with quote
This does upset me, when people cross the line and act like creeps. Its like who taught them to act like this? It makes the rest of the good nature fans look bad. I'm a fan of the erotic genre and I hold the writers, artist and the actors and actresses in high regard. Its already bad that a lot of society looks down on the erotic side of the industry, so the last thing we need is to make the people involved with bringing us this entertainment regret their decision. I wish for the best and hope the Actress is treated with more respect as should any other human being.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:13 pm Reply with quote
theilikepie wrote:
It's the problem with fans being creeps. She shouldnt have to deal with that shit just cause of her job. This is why I have a huge problem with Japanese/Korean entertainment industries.

Where did you get the idea this isn't a problem in American or other entertainment industries?
ZeArNkN

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:07 am Reply with quote
Quote:
She wrote that she used to upload her cosplay photos online until she received an email on her work address with the message: "I jerked off to your photos."

Eeugh, it's one thing to do that in private, but to tell that to the person's face is just weird and creepy.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:22 am Reply with quote
Sad there is so much evil out there.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:40 am Reply with quote
StarfighterPegasus wrote:
This does upset me, when people cross the line and act like creeps. Its like who taught them to act like this?

I think it's more a matter of who didn't teach them not to act like this.
omiya

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:23 am Reply with quote
theilikepie wrote:
This is why I have a huge problem with Japanese/Korean entertainment industries. That fans are obsessive, entitled and think they own the entertainers.

I'm not doubting that there are creepy fans of many artists, but there are also many healthy communities of fans in Japan who like to have unselfish, shared experience of concerts and fan club events and their members don't want be the one to spoil things for others.
Steve Minecraft

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:23 am Reply with quote
theilikepie wrote:
It's the problem with fans being creeps. She shouldnt have to deal with that shit just cause of her job. This is why I have a huge problem with Japanese/Korean entertainment industries. That fans are obsessive, entitled and think they own the entertainers. There needs to be huge metoo like movement in those countries for that to change. But going by there culture that seems very unlikely

People shouldn't have to deal with being mugged or robbed, but it still happens. Simply saying something shouldn't happen isn't going to change anything. But taking secure preventative measures will help lower the chances of it happening. And it's not a Japanese or Korean thing. Happens all the time with American celebrities being stalked, assaulted, or even murdered like John Lennen, Selena, and Christina Grimmie.
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:32 am Reply with quote
theilikepie wrote:
El Hermano wrote:
Niyari wrote:
yea... i wouldn't want to be female voice actor on twitter, much less one for adult works. you need thick skin for it. i really only follow vtubers on twitter and almost every single one of them have to put the "direct messages are for business purposes" disclaimer in their profile. i can only imagine how bad it must be for those in the eroge industry.

It's just part and parcel for those kinds of careers. The same thing happens with those booby streamers on Twitch that offer private Snapchat, or those cosplayers who have Patreons. When you're entire career is based on providing sexual content to guys, you have to expect those kinds of creeps to pop up every now and then.

It's the problem with fans being creeps. She shouldnt have to deal with that shit just cause of her job. This is why I have a huge problem with Japanese/Korean entertainment industries. That fans are obsessive, entitled and think they own the entertainers. There needs to be huge metoo like movement in those countries for that to change. But going by there culture that seems very unlikely

Me Too movement is more of a saying you’re a victim. But it doesn’t keep idiotic fans like that away. For celebrities, it’s best to not post anything that might haunt you later or better yet avoid social media and giving out Contact Info. But if you must have that out there then a good Agent that manages those things for you instead of you doing it directly would be great too.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:14 am Reply with quote
Never heard of Phan Masaki, as she works in media that I personally don't consume, but the last few paragraphs really hit me hard. I hope that she has a support network around her. I also hope her fans, the ones that have positive things to say about her work but don't voice them, start to do so more often.

I'm not going to touch much on other aspects of this article, as they are disgusting and things no one should experience, but I do want to touch on something else. The negative minority are always so loud in many aspects of fandom. The positive majority are too silent. Those that are positive/want to spread positivity should do so, and more often, in a lot of different aspects in life.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:16 am Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
StarfighterPegasus wrote:
This does upset me, when people cross the line and act like creeps. Its like who taught them to act like this?

I think it's more a matter of who didn't teach them not to act like this.
Bingo!! Sadly, these things disprove the notion that people are "innately wonderful", that this sort of behavior is truly "human nature" and comes to the surface if people aren't actively taught not to act on these impulses or where they feel free enough to get away with it. Wonderful article that gives such an unvarnished look into the life of a VA. While not surprising (to me at least) it is an eye-opener to the extent of the crap VAs get subjected to. If I were a woman, I'd stay far away from being a performer.
T.Silver

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:52 am Reply with quote
I'm also a bit disgusted that it hurt her career when she refused to be involved in any rape scenes, like is the eroge genre just primarily drowning in rape fetishishes or something? The girl was dealing with PTSD for Christ's sake.
pwnagemaster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Love her voice as Alma Elma in Monster Girl Quest. The part about not doing rape things for a while is a bit interesting, since MGQ's subtitle, at least in English, is "Lose and be Raped" (though it is female-on-male), and MGQ part 1 came out in early 2011.

Creepy fans are everywhere. I wonder how many similar, and maybe even stranger, things someone like Sasha Grey has received.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Fans of /r/creepypms can easily forget that these are real people and sometimes this shit isn't funny. Yikes.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:19 pm Reply with quote
This does not help my androphobia... In all seriousness, extreme fans (both male AND female) are a thing of nightmares. Seems their parents never taught them to control themselves.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2