• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Adds King of Prism -SSS-, Ao-chan Can't Study, Namuamidabutsu! -Utena-, Senryu Gir

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BluePikmin11

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Did something happen with HIDIVE. Seems like companies aren't having faith with HIDIVE lately with seasonal shows.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:04 pm Reply with quote
^HiDive has pretty much always lagged behind the other streaming services. It got set up years after CR and Funi had established themselves. Between people just not wanting another streaming service to pay for and the inconsistent production of streaming apps for it, I'd imagine viewer numbers for a lot of Sentai's simulcasts on HiDive have been lower than they were on CR.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:17 pm Reply with quote
I’m glad to see this news as Why the Hell are You Here, Teacher!? is not even showing up on the HiDive iOS app at the time I initially post this. Now I’ll be able to watch it comfortably on my phone without jumping through some hoops to do so.
Midonin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:37 pm Reply with quote
After they were removed from the App Store the first time, all Mature shows aren't appearing on Hidive's app, unfortunately.
TD912

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:36 am Reply with quote
Seems really unfortunate what's going on with HiDive. HiDive is effectively Sentai, and I think they're in a tough place ever since they broke up with Amazon for the Anime Strike service. They've had some big hits on shows like Made in Abyss and Land of the Lustrous when with Amazon, then got a few decent shows after that, but it seems they're getting the leftovers now. Plus they're being sharing with Crunchyroll instead of being exclusives. I guess maybe they don't have the funds to compete with licensing anymore?

This season also just seems weird overall with a lot of middling shows and short series for some reason.
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:13 am Reply with quote
TD912 wrote:
Seems really unfortunate what's going on with HiDive. HiDive is effectively Sentai, and I think they're in a tough place ever since they broke up with Amazon for the Anime Strike service. They've had some big hits on shows like Made in Abyss and Land of the Lustrous when with Amazon, then got a few decent shows after that, but it seems they're getting the leftovers now. Plus they're being sharing with Crunchyroll instead of being exclusives. I guess maybe they don't have the funds to compete with licensing anymore?

This season also just seems weird overall with a lot of middling shows and short series for some reason.

Bloom Into You is imo another great one they picked up. If Crunchyroll got that and K-On I'd personally never think about Hi-Dive. Especially with Land Of The Lustrous and Made In Abyss being on regular Amazon Prime.

Edit: Oh and Sentai did get Girls Last Tour, but that's also on regular Amazon Prime streaming.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:48 am Reply with quote
TD912 wrote:

True HIDIVE is becoming pointless with every new season (although it is the only place that has the great majority of Sentai dubs) and Sentai has been struggling to acquire new and exciting licenses. But supposedly Sentai and Crunchyroll have some kind of partnership.

Sentai is letting CR stream several of its titles. The thinking is that in exchange CR is going to let Sentai obtain disc rights to some of its titles. I hope that is true because Sentai cannot compete with the big boys to acquire anime content. At the moment partnering up with being companies seems like their best bet to survive.
Johnamine

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:01 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
TD912 wrote:

True HIDIVE is becoming pointless with every new season (although it is the only place that has the great majority of Sentai dubs) and Sentai has been struggling to acquire new and exciting licenses. But supposedly Sentai and Crunchyroll have some kind of partnership.

Sentai is letting CR stream several of its titles. The thinking is that in exchange CR is going to let Sentai obtain disc rights to some of its titles. I hope that is true because Sentai cannot compete with the big boys to acquire anime content. At the moment partnering up with being companies seems like their best bet to survive.

And it did. At least Sentai obtain disc rights of "Haikyu!!" season 3
animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2019-02-19/sentai-filmworks-confirms-english-dub-for-haikyu-season-3/.143636
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:30 am Reply with quote
Due to Crunchyroll being a non functional service experience on my iPhone 7 and iPad as in the Ads play but the videos come up with Video Resource is Unavailable and this apply s to all video in app. I think personally Crunchyroll needs a good class action for failing to offer a working service! Also for a good while people could not even cancel the service post I the forums Or access videos! I for months have been unable to use this services!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1