• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Shojo Anime That Need a Remake ASAP

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:47 pm Reply with quote
catandmouse wrote:
I would like to see a more faithful adaptation of X/1999. Maybe also one for RG Veda.
And does No. 6 count as a shojo? Because if it does I'd be nice to get a remake tha follows the novel closer.

Oh my god, yes. I don't care if it counts or not, I love No. 6 and what the anime DID do was pretty fantastic eerie sci-fi; I would love a more faithful remake that covered the entire story.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:55 pm Reply with quote
I think the 2 titles I'd love to see remakes of the most for an older shoujo title at this point would be Magic Knight Rayearth & D.N.Angel. Each show for different reasons.

I think Rayearth would do well with a more polished remake. The original was fantastic story wise, and for it's time the animation was pretty good I think. I can't help but imagine what a remake would look like now done by say Madhouse or KyoAni. I know it's a pipe dream but imagine those visuals.

DN Angel could use a fresh coat of paint as well, but it would also be nice to get a ewer version that sticks to the manga since it's continued to release over the years. Similar to how we had a FMA and FMA Brotherhood.

I would say do a remake of the "X" tv series but since Clamp never finished the damn manga, and the series was perfect enough as is IMO, I don't see a need just yet.
casenumber00

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:09 am Reply with quote
Why would some of the best romance anime there is be remade? Also, KareKano, while having a depreciating last few episodes compared to the previous episode, is still the best romance anime.
Ronolo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:14 am Reply with quote
His & Her Circumstances - I would love to see a remake.

Child's Toy - I'm unsure about this one. I don't think it sold well. Funimation gave up after only two seasons.

Personally I would love to see a remake of the following : Fushigi Yuugi & Marmalade Boy
Sobe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:01 am Reply with quote
We don't need remakes. We just need more shoujo and josei manga adaptations into anime

Remakes can come after more. If anything needs a refresh, it's Ouran and Kaichou Wa Maid-Sama.

At the same time, we need even more yaoi anime (and bara). Twisted Evil Love/Sex Pistols for starters.
nargun

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:47 am Reply with quote
Basara.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:05 am Reply with quote
I'm sorry Lynzee, but anyone who says Kare Kano needs to be remade is a villain and not to be trusted. The manga was a fairly mediocre shoujo series and everything after the culture fest was awful. Even if the production had issues, Anno's direction elevated it to the classic it is.

There HAVE been a few good suggestions in this thread, though! Basara is one of the best shoujo manga of all time and desperately needs a DECENT adaptation. I could live with a Lovely Complex remake too - the original wasn't terrible but it was really low budget.
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:27 am Reply with quote
nargun wrote:
Basara.

This is really the most important one, haha, that actually NEEDS a remake. And the only one on Lynzee's list that really needs one is Angel Sanctuary. I mean, if they wanna redo things, sure, I'm all for watching but not many actually need it. And things like Please Save My Earth that got shafted into a short OAV. Things like that. Or series that should just be animated in the first place, like Kare First Love and Mars.

Also, the animation in Oniisama E is absolutely beautiful, fluid and timeless.
tensainobaka

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:20 am Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
tailor31415 wrote:
why is Ouran not on this list Shocked
others on my list are:
DNAngel
Lovely Complex (with manga ending)
Hana Yori Dango (with manga ending)
Skip Beat (just so maybe the author's other work, Tokyo Crazy Paradise, gets a series)

I think Ouran holds up still, although I understand people still want MORE of it.

Ouran definitely still holds up.
I like Kodocha and Kare Kano as they are too, not having read the manga. They don't really need a remake but I'd like to see them revamped. Maybe a little less artsy for Kare Kano. But I also wouldn't want to be stuck with seasons of constant remakes like with Hollywood.
tootbrush

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:06 am Reply with quote
A Mystery wrote:
A modern Glass Mask anime would also be fun. The old one was good, or at least the parts I could find on the internet (couldn't finish it because many episodes were hard to find).

Glass Mask doesn't need another incomplete adaptation. Laughing
The fact that the manga is perpetually ongoing aside, however, a modern Glass Mask anime would either need to be a period anime or get a complete update to the setting and the plots. The biggest flaw of the 2005 anime is that they went for a faithful adaptation and just set it in 2005 Japan without updating anything else. Characters might be using mobile phones instead of landlines, but that's not reflected in the plots. The stuff Maya goes through seems deeply silly when just transplanted into a modern setting.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Kodocha comes for your funny bone but takes your heart with it, yet its hard to introduce to anime viewers now that it's comedic approach has fallen out of favor and the time investment is so high. I think it could serve well as a series of movies if not a truncated anime series. Just make sure you keep the raps!

Since I read the original manga, I first saw that that as "rape" instead of "raps" as Saya's "origin" was one of the things the first half of the series took out and I wondered why that was phrased so joyfully.

For a case of why this show shouldn't be remade, it turns out- if the version I read was accurately translated- Sana is the spoiler[result of her 13-14 mother being raped by her uncle.]

It got weird.
Changeitup

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:16 pm Reply with quote
I don't think Ouran needs a remake. For a story about subverting shoujo tropes its manga ending was played depressingly straight.

Personally I'd like remakes for all those stories that got shafted somehow. Incomplete stories, poor production, plots that veered way off from the original manga in a bad way, too much filler, ect. Shows like Gakuen Alice, Please Save my Earth, Basara, Hana Yori Dango (Though I'd also be happy if they adapted HYD's adorable spinoff Hana Nochi Hare), Jeanne, Angel Sanctuary, Marmalade Boy, and others.
Treiz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:11 pm Reply with quote
no on all counts. Better to spend the money on good shows that didn't get their endings completed in the anime.
Chazer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:40 pm Reply with quote
I disagree on Oniisame e... needing a remake. The treatment made in the early 90s was a good one, and it was probably the last great piece of animation by Osamu Dezaki (Treasure island, Nobody's Boy Remi, Rose of Versailles).

Still shots in anime have a long history and have their place in a show.

Yes To Kare Kano getting a full adaptation. As much as I liked Gainax's take on it, it is an incomplete show. I do however think it is not likely to have the high notes of a Gainax production though. I suspect it would have similar issues that I'm seeing with Fruits Basket right now, to be honest: better, shinier animation, but losing some nice idiosyncrasies in the process (eg: character design, comedic timing, music).

Please Save My Earth needs a full adaptation, as does Here is Greenwood.

Hana Yori Dango definitely does not need another adaptation. Even though the ending is not exactly the same as the manga, it has a similar outcome, and the treatment of the story was great to begin with.

On a separate note, one anime I would like to see remastered and re-released would be Candy Candy. I know there has been legal battles going on on that one, but boy, if there is a shoujo anime that defined a generation of viewers, it was that one.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:15 pm Reply with quote
I went through the article and three pages of the thread waiting to see who would conjure up the ghosts of Sailor Moon Crystal as the definitive argument for why NOT to do modern remakes of 90's shojou classics.

And unless it's just lying around, now forgotten, at the back of all our collective subconsciouses, looks like I'm the first. Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4