• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: J.C. Staff Producer Yuji Matsukura Says Hi Score Girl Was Not Originally Intended to be 3D

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:31 am Reply with quote
The CG in ufotable's works and Triggers' and Sanzigen's works for Kill La Kill and Black Rock Shooter was good. In fact the CG characters and sequences in Kill La Kill is mostly indistinguishable from the hand animation IMO. They were able to reproduce that look by frame rate modulation rather than the constant limited frame rate (and constant movements dictated by physics) typical of other CG.

AmpersandsUnited wrote:

One could make the argument attempting to make CG anime move and look more like regular anime might be a pointless task because you could just make it regular anime if you wanted that aesthetic. Paperman attempting to emulate traditional animation is notable because traditional animated movies do not exist in America anymore, so it's an attempt at finding a way to adapt in the modern American industry which doesn't have the option of simply making your movie 2D like Japan does. In that regard, I would definitely prefer the Paperman approach to modern Disney CG films, but I would still prefer the 2D style of their 90s films over it.

CG is used for free movement and free unlimited corrections and free crowds and free backgrounds -- free after the assets are created and rigged, that is.

But when it comes to Hi Score Girl, while I thought it didn't detract much at all from the show, they really did not need CG at all. Literally the only time they made use of the CG was the full camera rotation around the back-to-back cabinets from Oono to Yaguchi and just a one or two other select scenes of camera movement.

The cabinets themselves could've been CG like most backgrounds, without the characters, which is typical of anime. And real game footage is irrelevant to being CG or not.
64BitRatchet

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:06 am Reply with quote
BlackPoint. wrote:
The answer is simple they made CGI because it was easier... There is simply no way CGI would look better then normal animation...
Someone hasn't seen Land of the Lustrous.
RealMTL

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:22 am Reply with quote
64BitRatchet wrote:
BlackPoint. wrote:
The answer is simple they made CGI because it was easier... There is simply no way CGI would look better then normal animation...

Second that, Land of the Lustrous made great use of the CGI. It made me want to see more shows with CGI used properly.

Also High Score Girl is still pretty good even with the CGI. It doesn't put me off the show at all.
Steve Minecraft

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:58 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
The CG in ufotable's works and Triggers' and Sanzigen's works for Kill La Kill and Black Rock Shooter was good. In fact the CG characters and sequences in Kill La Kill is mostly indistinguishable from the hand animation IMO. They were able to reproduce that look by frame rate modulation rather than the constant limited frame rate (and constant movements dictated by physics) typical of other CG.

CG effects or parts in a 2D show are pretty different than a full CG show, same way CGI in live-action movies is much different than a CGI movie. It's easier to mask and isn't as intrusive.. That's why I'm able to watch live-action and 2D shows with CG much easier than a full CG show. One of the more visual distinct series this season: Sarazanmai, is a good example. It would look absolutely horrendous if it was a full CG show.

65BitRatchet wrote:

Which would have looked better as traditional animation.

At the present, the most you can say about a CG anime is "it was fine" or 'it wasn't too distracting". You don't see people saying "Yep, this show definitely would not have worked in 2D animation at all, I'm glad it was CG. Death to obsolete 2D animation!"
gedata

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:05 pm Reply with quote
I don't get the distaste. It looks fine.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:35 am Reply with quote
Steve Minecraft wrote:

At the present, the most you can say about a CG anime is "it was fine" or 'it wasn't too distracting".

And you speak for everyone right? That might be all YOU can say about it but other people have different opinions.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:19 am Reply with quote
I much prefer hand drawn animation. The character models looked ugly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2