• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:01 am Reply with quote
MiloTheFirst wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

What I want to know was what happened to his broken leg and ribs? He seemed to heal up completely in the short time it took tamari girl to die, and minutes later he's walking down stairs like it's nothing, and shortly after that, they're on the road. Was "I've got a broken rib and leg" a mistranslation of "It feels like I've got a broken rib and leg"?

my thoughts exactly, how come he went from having to drag his crawling body through the yard to casually walking downstairs without so much as panting in less than an hour?

Apparently Tamayo applied some healing powers off-screen, which will be referenced in an upcoming episode. I expected to see her work on his body this episode because he doesn't even use a crutch to walk down those stairs.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Damn, I haven't been annoyed by a character as much as I have Zenitsu in a long time. Some one please tell me he stops whining all the time sooner rather than later.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:56 pm Reply with quote
No shit. I didn't think it was possible, but he's more annoying than Asta, and he made me quit watching the subs and wait for the dub on Toonami. Since that's not an option (yet), I'll have to watch this on mute when he's around. Though that won't help with his snot-like tears and bug eyes...
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see I'm not the only one who hopes that Zenitsu gets toned down quickly
Marzan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I had no expectations about this series and have been very pleasantly surprised. I’ve enjoyed it immensely. That was until Zenitsu showed up. Loud, irritating and worst of all terribly unfunny. I hope he has a reduced role or changes his antics soon.
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:23 pm Reply with quote
While I get the irritation with Zenitsu, i do think he gets better. Granted i've looked ahead a bit at future stuff but i think he improves

As for the episode itself, i do like when the brother is shown thrown out the window. The timing of the music and sound was good and the shot composition helped a lot
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Many will doubtless be fed up with Zenitsu's crap by minute three of this twenty-three minutes, which is totally understandable and will definitely make the rest of the episode less enjoyable.

That's me right there, his shtick got old really quick. I was constantly making that same disgusted face Tanjiro was but directed to the episode as a whole throughout. why would they make a character so cartoonishly wimpy in a series that had been taking its grittiness so seriously? I am not saying they can't have comedy relief at all, I sincerely enjoyed most of the gags in the early episodes, but their last attempt with the assistant of the medic demon (as you can see I already forgot his name, for a reason) and his below puppy level one track mind also was miserably off-tune. I hope this trend ceases, it really is soiling an otherwise great series which is absolutely enjoyable the rest of the time
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:39 pm Reply with quote
MiloTheFirst wrote:
Quote:
Many will doubtless be fed up with Zenitsu's crap by minute three of this twenty-three minutes, which is totally understandable and will definitely make the rest of the episode less enjoyable.

That's me right there, his shtick got old really quick. I was constantly making that same disgusted face Tanjiro was but directed to the episode as a whole throughout. why would they make a character so cartoonishly wimpy in a series that had been taking its grittiness so seriously? I am not saying they can't have comedy relief at all, I sincerely enjoyed most of the gags in the early episodes, but their last attempt with the assistant of the medic demon (as you can see I already forgot his name, for a reason) and his below puppy level one track mind also was miserably off-tune. I hope this trend ceases, it really is soiling an otherwise great series which is absolutely enjoyable the rest of the time

I do agree the comedy is a bit offputting, I prefer stuff with Nezuko trying to act human the most. That said, when the show wants to be serious, it can transition very well.

I love this episode for the room transition shot with the rotating pan. That must have been hard to animate and the colors and lights look great
gedata

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:03 pm Reply with quote
MiloTheFirst wrote:
Quote:

Same. Annoyance may have been the point, and if so they damn well nailed it a little too well I say. This isn't the fault of the anime really, but the addition of voice acting combined with the general slowness of the pace compared to the source material just made his introduction all the more obnoxious than I was prepared for.
Kiskaloo
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:49 pm Reply with quote
I found Zenitsu so annoying I actively fast-forwarded past every scene with him which of course meant I missed plot. I find him so annoying that if he continues as a major character at this level I will likely drop the show and just follow it in these weekly reviews. I've been generally enjoying the episodes, but this was too much for me.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Izanagi009 wrote:
While I get the irritation with Zenitsu, i do think he gets better. Granted i've looked ahead a bit at future stuff but i think he improves

I hope you're right. I hope he improves at least enough to be tolerable. Right now, the only thing I see that he brings to the table is that he seems to have hearing to match Tanjirou's sense of smell, so they could work well together, if he tones it down.

Am I the only one wondering about the kids? They seem a bit off to me. It's mostly because of their eyes, but I can't tell yet if that's just a weird character design choice or if it's significant.
KarlFranz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:47 am Reply with quote
Wow people here really hate Zenitsu. Would you guys believe me if i tell you he the 2nd most popular character of the manga, after Tanjirou and most of his fan is female? One thing a manga reader like me want to talk about this episode is that due to the medium transistion, some of the gag seem to be missing. See, in the manga there a narrator that do exposition and some time tell us some very funny quirk about the character. Despite planning to suprise attack the demon, Tanjirou instinctively walk out and said his name to the demon like we see in this episode , the narrator tell us that Tanjirou can't ambush people, he just too honest to do that kind of thing.
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Zenitsu quite literally gave me a headache and Boar Head Guy seemed like he could be quite a pain as well, so i am feeling a little bit wary now...Tanjirou's expressions were priceless, though. Smile
Vanadise

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm gonna concur that Zenitsu single-handedly made this the worst episode so far for me. Hopefully he either shapes up quickly or has a significantly reduced presence in the future.

At least the show seems slightly self-aware about it; Tanjiro feels the same way about him that I do.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:52 am Reply with quote
KarlFranz wrote:
Would you guys believe me if i tell you he the 2nd most popular character of the manga, after Tanjirou

Manga readers didn't have to listen to him screaming.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 20