• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Lupin III Creator Monkey Punch Passes Away

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
falcon.punch

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:07 pm Reply with quote
RIP.

And I really liked Cinderella Boy besides Lupin.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Rest in peace to an all-time legend. Sad

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:43 pm Reply with quote
he had a really good run. how many manga series can you count that have been going for 50 plus years and regularly get multiple anime adaptations a decade? maybe the creator of golgo 13 but he's only had a couple anime.

I assume he was a heavy smoker. 80's are an age where people are likely to die naturally, but pnuemonia specifically maybe it was just failing lungs but i know how much people in japan smoke so that could be the cause.
BaronViolet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:07 pm Reply with quote
This is terrible news. However, he lived a good life and his work on Lupin will never be forgotten. RIP Monkey Punch
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Oh wow. This is news. Talk about a legend of one of the longest and greatest series of all time. He will be forever remembered. R.I.P. To the legend of the greatest cop and thief chase story of all time.
curtisd88

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:22 pm Reply with quote
R.I.P. to a legend. This is a heavy blow to the anime and manga community. I recently started watching the anime of Lupin and I am blown away of it. He can rest assured that his masterpiece is in good hands.
Derpinat0rz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:08 pm Reply with quote
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Koda89

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:10 pm Reply with quote
RIP. Crying or Very sad

Lupin III is always in contention for my favorite anime franchise.

At least he got to hang around long enough to see one of his creation’s finest hours last year with the absolutely stunning Part 5.
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:32 pm Reply with quote
RIP Monkey Punch, may your visions of Lupin live on for another 50 years. Sad
Haterater

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Thank you so much for creating such a timeless class of characters in Lupin. Really enjoyed its many anime and the antics of the characters. RIP
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, this got to me. Rest in Peace. :'(

Last edited by ninjamitsuki on Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Oh god. This one...this one hurts. I rarely feel close to tears from the death of a celebrity, someone I've never met in person and never will, but like with Robin Williams, Goro Naya, and Hiromi Tsuru before him, this one just hits me at my very core.

I don't remember when I first saw Lupin (it was one of the FUNi dubbed TV specials that I borrowed), but back then, for whatever reason, it didn't grab me. But a few years back, when Discotek put out the original green jacket series, and I experienced the franchise in it's original Japanese form, something magical happened there and I was hooked. Lupin very quickly became one of my absolute favorite things PERIOD, in the same vein of Dragon Ball, TMNT, or the works of Masakazu Katsura. I can talk about Lupin with anyone at any given time in any given situation just about. And that all comes from this man. I might not have the same level of love for the original manga (though I do wish I could read more of it than what I have), but it all still stems from Monkey Punch's hand.

Godspeed, Mr. Kato. Thanks for everything.

I've had a similar experience with Lupin. Even though I've only been invested in it for about two years, it's become my favorite series in any medium and I've met so many great people through it.

Takahata last April and now MP. This month really wants to take away some of my favorite creators. But I try to view these unfortunate circumstances less as tragedy and more as an opportunity to celebrate the person's body of work and its influence. I've only read a handful of his stories, but this news has me even more adamant that someone finally bring his series back into print in western territories. They deserve the exposure and ease of access.

Sleep soundly, master thief, your works truly stole my heart. <3
Zeino

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Even if his original manga take of Lupin was honestly a legitimately terrible person who the countless anime TV series, movies and specials softened considerably in order to make him into the iconic and enduring lovable rogue of international renown and fair amount of others including Miyazaki and Takahata did the heavy lifting to earn such fame, Monkey Punch still deserves the credit for the planting the seeds of one of the few franchises in the anime world that can reasonably go on for forever.

May he rest in peace.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Rest in peace, Mr. Kato
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:00 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't go that far... his characterizations were loose and harsher at first, less classy, but as the anime released those informed his manga as well and they eventually softened into their more familiar roles and personalities. Other staff and creators definitely lended their own creative hands to the franchise, but the core appeal of the manga has always been retained. That being (IMO) that absolute sense of freedom the characters have in their lifestyle and how playful, positive-in-perspective and fun-loving they are in their pursuits and how simple but immediate their dynamics are.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3