• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Do Funimation's Dragon Ball Z Re-Releases Look Like That?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animorphimagi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:08 pm Reply with quote
The real question is when "fans" say the show doesn't "look right" I have to wonder what they are comparing it to. How many people have owned, or watched 4:3 versions of DB and DBZ?

I suppose most people who would buy the highest cost collectors edition of this type would likely own 20+year old versions of the show, but anyone in their early twenties would likely not want to bother with anything but a widescreen version.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:22 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
....Yeah that's kind of what I already said. Battle Points was likely changed out for something else in Kai because of it blatantly copying parts of The Murder of Love by Propaganda.

Even ignoring the plagiarism controversy they replaced the OST elsewhere because it wouldn't mesh with Kai due to all the cuts and speed ups for the new pacing.

Original: https://youtu.be/Kz0HONneZmc?t=82
Kai: https://youtu.be/nv9eDNZJEZU?t=39

You can see they sped up those scenes so Unmei no Hi wouldn't fit the scene like it did in the original, so it got replaced. That's why I don't recommend Kai to anyone, all that 'filler' was how the show was designed and everything revolves around the original pacing. I find the original Z scene much more powerful.

ARC-1300 wrote:
What the hell should I even buy?!

Nothing, if you don't want to buy the Dragon Boxes. I see no reason why you should buy a mediocre product just because it exists and reward the companies who do put out bad releases. There's other ways to watch the series as it was intended if that's your goal, and if your goal is to collect it then surely you'd want to wait for an actual good release.
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:32 pm Reply with quote
thanks for all the suggestions guys. At this point it almost feels like I’m gonna have to settle. Definitely gonna get kai for sure. As for the OG series. Gonna wait for now, or maybe settle.
Spoofer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Animorphimagi wrote:
The real question is when "fans" say the show doesn't "look right" I have to wonder what they are comparing it to. How many people have owned, or watched 4:3 versions of DB and DBZ?

I suppose most people who would buy the highest cost collectors edition of this type would likely own 20+year old versions of the show, but anyone in their early twenties would likely not want to bother with anything but a widescreen version.

All those in their early 20s who don't want to see the full picture, know nothing about original/intended ratios, and aren't bothered by subpar video quality, sure.

Certainly there are people of all ages who fall on either side of that spectrum. There was a vid on YT of some 6 year-old kid complaining about the nature of this release (I'm sure his opinion was formed with the help of his teen brother, but still).

And to answer your question, considering the decades when DBZ was most popular, and that it's only been America in the last decade or so that's cropped it (not counting Kai), the number of people who have watched DBZ in 4:3 would likely be orders of magnitude higher than those who have watched it chopped. DB has never been chopped to 16:9 as far as I'm aware.

"Welcome" to anime fandom, btw, where both it and the world existed before you did, and don't take their cues solely from your own limited experience. Wink
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Justin Sevakis wrote:
You can tell that it's the film elements because the Dragon Box, made from Toei's remaster of PROPER film elements, looks better. But it's in SD. 16mm straight from the camera may look OK, but after a generation or two, it looks like crap. I still have my old 16mm projector, and I never use it, because the last time I busted it out and projected something, I was aghast at how blurry, dirty and grainy it looked. It's simply not up to current visual standards.

If we're talking about original masters of SD content, then you have a point, Justin. But, if this is a professional digital remaster, then you're splitting hairs.
Animorphimagi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:37 am Reply with quote
Spoofer wrote:
Animorphimagi wrote:

All those in their early 20s who don't want to see the full picture, know nothing about original/intended ratios, and aren't bothered by subpar video quality, sure.

Certainly there are people of all ages who fall on either side of that spectrum. There was a vid on YT of some 6 year-old kid complaining about the nature of this release (I'm sure his opinion was formed with the help of his teen brother, but still).

And to answer your question, considering the decades when DBZ was most popular, and that it's only been America in the last decade or so that's cropped it (not counting Kai), the number of people who have watched DBZ in 4:3 would likely be orders of magnitude higher than those who have watched it chopped. DB has never been chopped to 16:9 as far as I'm aware.

"Welcome" to anime fandom, btw, where both it and the world existed before you did, and don't take their cues solely from your own limited experience. Wink

I don't think Toonami had shows in 4:3 in 2002 did they? I honestly have no clue, it's completely wiped from my mind. I know Toonami is airing DB Kai in 4:3 now but I forget when most cable channels switched to a common 16:9 format in the mid 2000s
AkaRed

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:08 am Reply with quote
I'll brought a Dragon Ball (OG DB + Z) box set if only said box contain the original japanese broadcast audio (in stereo) and image 4:3 top notch quality.
Lord Starfish

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:39 am Reply with quote
AkaRed wrote:
I'll brought a Dragon Ball (OG DB + Z) box set if only said box contain the original japanese broadcast audio (in stereo) and image 4:3 top notch quality.

Well then you will never buy a Dragon Ball boxset. Because you're asking for something that does not exist. The original broadcast audio was still in mono. It was far clearer-sounding than what we have on any official DVD-releases, but it still only had one sound-channel. And as far as I know, there's still a significant portion of OG Dragon Ball that just does not have the original broadcast audio available at all... But from what I understand fans have been trying to get recordings of it and I don't expect they'll stop until they have everything.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:48 am Reply with quote
Animorphimagi wrote:
I don't think Toonami had shows in 4:3 in 2002 did they?

Outside of whatever movies they aired at the time, everything was 4:3 still.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:57 am Reply with quote
I'm glad I invested in those DBZ Dragon Boxes. Sure, the sound isn't optimal, but it's a lot better than this new travesty by Funimation. If they're going to crowdfund, they should continue the Level Blu-Ray sets.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:07 pm Reply with quote
DBZ is a show that's very special to me, but I'm still rocking my Orange Bricks. Do they look good? Nope, but the Dragon Boxes came out at a time when affording them was completely off the table for me (I was in high school. It took my 8 years just to even get all of the Orange Bricks), and also lacking the track with the Bruce Faulconer score made them less desirable for me anyway. The Level sets looked amazing, but they were canceled and the two volumes are now OOP, so they definitely aren't an option. The current season Blu-rays look no better than the Orange Bricks, so I'm not wasting my money on them (as cheap as they are). I really, really, really wanted to upgrade to this set, and I still totally would if it wasn't so expensive. I'm definitely holding out on some kind of reissue in standard packaging. If this looked closer to the Level sets, I'd be much more willing to shell out $400.
Spoofer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
Animorphimagi wrote:
I don't think Toonami had shows in 4:3 in 2002 did they?

Outside of whatever movies they aired at the time, everything was 4:3 still.

Funimation didn't even start chopping DBZ up until 2006, so that's the earliest Toonami could've shown it in 16:9, and even then I'm not sure that they would've bothered obtaining the new masters from Funi for quite some time. Do they show DBZ in 16:9 even now (or the show at all? I haven't had cable for about 15 years, lol). And what of their other shows when they go retro? I don't imagine they would be cropping FLCL and Cowboy Bebop themselves to convert them to widescreen, do they?

And there wasn't even mainstream acceptance of widescreen until the mid-aughts anyway, and Japan was still producing 4:3 shows for half the decade (FMA, Eureka Seven, etc.)

I really don't get why it's so hard for some people to accept 4:3 (I mean I do, but I'd think it'd be something they could quickly adapt to if they actually gave it a try). The only other option is to either distort the picture by stretching it (only madmen do this), or chop the tops and bottoms off, resulting in less picture. People seriously want less picture just so that all of their televisions' pixels are lit up?

4:3 has its own unique cinematic aesthetic as well, and certainly DBZ's (and all other OG anime's) frame composition is far superior and appealing in their native aspect ratios than when mutilated to adhere to something they were never intended to be. Embrace the 4:3, my lad. You'll quickly get used to it, and you'll be better able to appreciate older anime as much as possible without the cramped, unnatural look cropping almost always produces. And there are certainly a ton of those older shows with masterful cinematography and frame composition in 4:3 that still put most modern anime to shame, like Evangelion, Bebop, Kenshin Trust & Betrayal, etc.

There's nothing inherently wrong with 4:3.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:32 am Reply with quote
Spoofer wrote:
Funimation didn't even start chopping DBZ up until 2006, so that's the earliest Toonami could've shown it in 16:9, and even then I'm not sure that they would've bothered obtaining the new masters from Funi for quite some time. Do they show DBZ in 16:9 even now (or the show at all? I haven't had cable for about 15 years, lol). And what of their other shows when they go retro? I don't imagine they would be cropping FLCL and Cowboy Bebop themselves to convert them to widescreen, do they?

Only for music videos, promos and Tom speeches (with the exception of DBZ Kai) on Adult Swim. The actual episodes themselves I think have remained in the intended aspect ratio, but my memory is honestly a bit hazy.

Also, they never aired DBZ on Adult Swim outside of the April Fools thing in 2012, just Kai and Super.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:24 pm Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:

Even ignoring the plagiarism controversy they replaced the OST elsewhere because it wouldn't mesh with Kai due to all the cuts and speed ups for the new pacing.

Original: https://youtu.be/Kz0HONneZmc?t=82
Kai: https://youtu.be/nv9eDNZJEZU?t=39

You can see they sped up those scenes so Unmei no Hi wouldn't fit the scene like it did in the original, so it got replaced. That's why I don't recommend Kai to anyone, all that 'filler' was how the show was designed and everything revolves around the original pacing. I find the original Z scene much more powerful.

Well shit .
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3