• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
30 Years Ago: The Best Anime of 1989

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
EricJ2 wrote:

Whoever's been dropping vintage anime on Amazon (Anime Crush?) has been finding a lot of vintage titles lately:
Do an "Also watched" search from Goku, and Beautiful Dreamer and both Galaxy Express 999 movies turn up, for a start, and I nearly forgot about "Lily C.A.T." from the OAV days.
Fist of the North Star, A Wind Called Amnesia, DNA^2 and Harlock: My Youth in Arcadia, I'll...give a pass, thanks. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop

Thanks! I saw 999, but didn't see Beautiful Dreamer or Lily CAT.

https://www.amazon.com/Urusei-Yatsura-Beautiful-Fumi-Hirano/dp/B07DQFYFDN/
https://www.amazon.com/Lily-C-T-Mike-Reynolds/dp/B07DMJWRYW/

(And Night on the Galactic Railroad, BlackJack: the Movie and the dubbed Unico movies, if you can sit through those again...) Razz
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Ranma 1/2 is a slow-starter. As I mentioned before:

I got my whole non-anime-liking dorm hall into Ranma 1/2 fans without even trying. Some just happened to wander in while I was watching it, then they told the rest, then the next thing I knew, they were borrowing my videos, watching the OAVs and movies, and playing my CDs loudly across the dorm. Laughing

But It wasn't till late S1 - early S2 that our anime-oblivious dorm hall happened to catch on it and started asking to watch the beginning episodes. It's due to initial low ratings was why the J-broadcaster had to move up the popular Shampoo episodes out of order and why they re-branded the series to Ranma 1/2 Nettouhen.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:13 pm Reply with quote
1989 was the year I was born, and I did not become fully aware of Japanaese animation until the 2000s, so I miss out on what the writer consider to be a good year for anime. Of the ten anime mention, I only saw three during my childhood, and those were Dragon Ball Z, Ranma ½ and Kiki’s Delivery Service.

I did not see as much Dragon Ball Z on TV at the time as the show moved to a channel that was available on cable, and my house did not have cable TV at the time. It would not be until around either my years in middle school or my early years in high school I get to see Dragon Ball Z as a whole. However, during my childhood, I did get to see the first few episodes of Dragon Ball on VHS when I rented them from a video store (thinking at first it was Dragon Ball Z before realizing it wasn’t). Dragon Ball Z was, and I would say still is for me, a fun show to watch, but Dragon Ball I prefer the most due to both the kind of story it is and the quality of the anime storytelling.

Dragon Ball is more of a fantasy/adventure story which are two of my favorite genres whereas Dragon Ball Z, while I would still consider to be a fantasy, is more of an action/science fiction story which are genres I am more neutral towards, but it goes deeper than that. Dragon Ball has this charm that gets loss at some point in Dragon Ball Z (I think it might be somewhere during the Frieza Saga when that charm is lost). While I understand that Dragon Ball Z has the most appeal compared to Dragon Ball due to referencing content people outside of Japan are already familiar with, I like that Dragon Ball had more of a focus towards Eastern related content. Parts of Dragon Ball also feel more nostalgic in a way despite not having seen much of it as a child.

As for the quality of the story telling what ignored me about Dragon Ball Z was how the fights (especially during the Saiyan and Frieza Sagas) drag for so long due to fillers which slowed down the pace of the story as a result. I remember after a while I would get bored and anxious for the story to move on already. Also given that Akira Toriyama never balance the power scaling of Dragon Ball along with him scaling up the threat as the series went on a lot of the cast got neglected after a while, and with Dragon Ball Z being an adaptation of the manga this problem carries over in the show as well. I didn’t like that late in the story the characters who were not Saiyans, as well as Piccolo to a less extent, got outclass by the villains. In Dragon Ball meanwhile the stories were better paced and everyone was on more equal ground when it came to combat.

Ramna ½ I remember checking out from the video store as a child, but being unaware of the content me and my sister were about to see. We were certainly surprise by what we saw but we enjoy the show nonetheless. I believe the video store only had two VHS copies of the show and while the first video I checked out had the first two episodes, the other VHS had episodes that seem to take place further in the series as there were characters I did not see in the first VHS, but at the time I was not bother by it. I have thought about returning to this anime one day now that I have easy access to it online (though I would like to read the manga first). However there is a possibility I might not mind it as much as I did as a child. I know from asking my sister she was annoyed of the series when she watch it year later.

Kiki’s Delivery Service was the first film I have seen from Studio Ghibli and it might be one of my top favorite movies they have produce (I have yet to think up of a list of my top favorite Studio Ghibli/Hayao Miyazaki). I remember a couple of years back when I watch the Japanese dub for the first time on my home video copy of Kiki’s Delivery Service and the movie still hold up well. I would like to read the novel the film is based on as well as the other books in the series one day, but so far it looks like I need to learn to read to Japanese to do so.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I have heard of Yawara! before, and I do like the premise of it. However it would seem none of the official streaming sites has this show available nor there is an official home video release of it (the only one that was release is expensive and it does not contain all the episodes). Also it would seem that while the manga is available to read online whoever or what group was translating it drop the series for some reason, so making it another series I cannot read in its entirety without learning Japanese.

Given what was described about this Riding Bean story, I could care less about the anime. However learning that it’s connected to Gunsmith Cats, which is something I thought about giving it a try due to the protagonist of the story, I might have to reconsider that. Granted from what I have search it would seem I do not need to watch Riding Bean before Gunsmith Cats, but I might consider it just to see if there is some settle connection to the two series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:53 pm Reply with quote
@Aquasakura

Riding Bean and Gunsmith Cats are connected, though I wouldn't say the connection is very subtle. The source material manga for both is from the same person. They do not share continuity but GSC should be looked at a second attempt to write a manga in the same setting.

Both the Riding Bean manga and anime OVA came first. When the author restarted with GSC he took Bean Bandit's partner Rally Vincent and revamped her as a brunette and somewhat younger as the protagonist of the new series. Bean Bandit became a major character in the GSC manga though I don't remember if he shows up in the OVA.

Both series involve high action car chases and gun fights. In both the driving and shooting skills of the protagonist are so over the top as to be improbable if not impossible. If you like one you will probably like the other. They do not need to be seen in order since, as mentioned, they do not have the same continuity. The Gunsmith Cats manga is superior to the OVA, it is highly recommended. The Riding Bean manga as far as I can tell has not been issued in English.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3