Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: One Punch Man Season 2


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Norm the genius



Joined: 07 Dec 2018
Posts: 90
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:33 am Reply with quote
It is a fact that the vast majority of the community saw OPM only because of the animation, reason right now it got so much rejection, really not even the animation is the real problem, it seems much worse the direction of the anime which makes the jokes it less impact, the effects of sounds are horrible, even the seiyus feel quite muffled, on the other hand the animation is like any other average anime "limited animation" what if it is missing is dynamism to the scenes, but if they show more action would be forced to do more scenes in motion which would end up like episode 23 of index.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
brammerhammer23



Joined: 06 Jun 2013
Posts: 62
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:01 pm Reply with quote
I kind of wish Madhouse didn't do such an epic job with the animation in season 1. It's because of that many people are crapping on the animation for season 2. It's standard anime animation if that makes sense. Its not bad, but its not amazing either. Its just average and I am okay with that. The animation aside season 2 has felt like OPM to me. Its because of that I will continue to watch.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ChestPains



Joined: 05 Oct 2016
Posts: 99
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:25 pm Reply with quote
"Wah wah Madhouse godhouse"
"Wah wah Deadhouse garbagehouse"

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz................... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes


These two episodes were fine. They weren't good, but they weren't nearly as bad as it was looking like it would be. The coloring is still awful, and the angles chosen could not be more standard. I understand that the fight animations can't be as good as S1 but... the problems with it aren't "bad animation".

I'm not even sure how to explain it. You can clearly see that the fighting is decent but it looks like they "duplicated" the frames resulting in a weird blurry, uncomfortable effect similar to those garbage reddit "60fps anime" videos but 10 times worse. It's absolutely awful on the eyes and I'd rather they just not do that. I understand the dimming due to flashes and seizures but this isn't that at all and I absolutely hate it.
Considering the latter half of this season will be the tournament arc, I'm definitely not looking forward to 17/24 minutes being a blurry mess with fucked up frames. Awful animation choice.


I see a lot of people saying "it's going to be good because the story is good" but you might as well read the manga if that's your argument. People watch anime adaptations for the animation and dismissing genuine complaints about it because the source is good is silly.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Merida
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 21 Feb 2012
Posts: 1905
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm probably in the minority here who's always loved Mob Psycho 100 more than OPM and will forever be grateful that it got an almost flawless adaption (for now), so i'm not that...devestated as some of the fans seem to be. Plus, the animation is still pretty decent IMO. If they are able to keep that level, it's fine for me...it's a bit sad that a lot of people seem to be bent on hating this season from the beginning and most of the discussion will revolve around it, though.

As for the plot so far, i love how Saitama doesn't hold a grudge against King but just enjoys chilling and playing games with him instead. I believe Genos worries a lot more about Saitama not getting enough recognition than the man himself. Laughing I'm having mixed feeling about Garou because he seems to be the "edgelord fanbois"' favourite while i just find him pretty boring as a character though spoiler[he gets slightly more interesting later...]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
GhostD



Joined: 07 May 2016
Posts: 617
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:14 pm Reply with quote
brammerhammer23 wrote:
I kind of wish Madhouse didn't do such an epic job with the animation in season 1. It's because of that many people are crapping on the animation for season 2. It's standard anime animation if that makes sense. Its not bad, but its not amazing either. Its just average and I am okay with that. The animation aside season 2 has felt like OPM to me. Its because of that I will continue to watch.


Thats what happens when season 1 sets the bar a little too high. The animation OK as far JC quality is concerned but the animation was part of what made season 1 so good and popular. If JC animated season 1 too with this kind of quality then reactions to the show would be more mixed rather than overly positive.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AholePony



Joined: 04 Jun 2015
Posts: 290
Location: Arizona
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm mostly ok with the 2 episodes so far but man is the direction holding season 2 back. All of the close up shot framing feels so claustrophobic. Where I want some distance shots to get more scale out of the action, they just keep zooming in further.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pip25
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 22 Sep 2017
Posts: 41
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Okay, so season 2 does not have the same animation talent behind it. Fine. But why do I have the feeling that they don't want to express absolutely anything aside of dutifully animating the manga panel by panel...? That is the real problem, to me. In both seasons of Mob Psycho and in the previous season of OPM, you could feel that the show, aside of trying to stay true to the original, also had ambition to go beyond what the source material can do or convey. I feel little of that here, as things stand right now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zrnzle500
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 04 Oct 2014
Posts: 3529
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:52 pm Reply with quote
faboo95 wrote:
But a change in studio does mean a change in staff, no? I mean, I get that people like to point out that S1 was a group effort, but a change in studio still means a change in direction no matter how you try to rationalise it....unless a bunch of people responsible for S1 just happened to join J.C Staff, which I really doubt is the case.


Often yes, but not necessarily, and staying at the same studio would not guarantee there wouldn't be a change in staff or quality. Does anyone think if the team making Afterlost (Madhouse's currently airing anime) made OPM 2 at Madhouse, that this second season would be as well animated as the first? Would it even be at the same level as the second season as it is? Heck, even having the same director at the same studio is no guarantee that the animation would be as good. Natsume Shingo's subsequent works at Madhouse, ACCA and the recent Boogiepop, while well done, were not at the same level as the first season, even accounting for the differences in genres. This is because, as CrowLia mentioned, most of these animators who made the first season what it was (and most animators in general) are freelancers. Which is to say they did not work for Madhouse then or now, and many will likely be busy with other projects for other studios, and so would not be available even if it had stayed. Yes, a studio change probably entails a staff change, but putting it all on the studio change obscures the real cause (the change in staff), and directs all the anger about the change in quality at the studio. I would not be surprised if after this season, some will see a upcoming show made by J.C. Staff, and say something like "Oh, it's made by that studio that f***ed up OPM's second season. It'll probably be crap then" even if that show shares no staff with this one at the heavily freelance J.C. Staff. You see this sort of attitude towards (also heavily freelance) A-1 and a few others studios too often, and I'd rather not see another thrown on that list, when it is really on the staff, especially when you are talking about aspects like direction, for which some here have criticized the second season (not unwarranted). Really, with how freelance much of the industry is, we need to think less in terms of studio and more in terms of staff, both when setting expectations and evaluating who is responsible for different aspects not being at the level we want them to be. Not to say that the studio is never at fault, but we need to be a bit more nuanced than "it was bad/good because it was made be X studio"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
faboo95



Joined: 28 Dec 2014
Posts: 50
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:15 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Really, with how freelance much of the industry is, we need to think less in terms of studio and more in terms of staff, both when setting expectations and evaluating who is responsible for different aspects not being at the level we want them to be. Not to say that the studio is never at fault, but we need to be a bit more nuanced than "it was bad/good because it was made be X studio"


Agreed with that sentiment and I think that's what people really mean when they wanted "Madhouse" to work on season 2, that staying with the same production company would've increased the chances of members from the first season returning (including the freelancers).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sailor Sedna



Joined: 08 Jan 2015
Posts: 746
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:24 am Reply with quote
JC Staff has always been hit and miss with me and not very renowned when it comes to art/animation quality, usually miss, the characters, backgrounds and their movements, especially in the 90's, (sans maybe Shin Captain Tsubasa, Slayers and its movie) often appeared rough to very rough, stiff and colored with bland, flat and washed out colors, and it always would yell "LOW QUALITY" to me compared to other works different studios had put out. It only worsened when they had Masami Obari directing. Anime dazed
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
killjoy_the



Joined: 30 May 2015
Posts: 1923
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:07 am Reply with quote
So what did cause the circumstances behind OPM 2 being what it is? Why didn't Shingo Natsume work on it, why did the production committee change studios, and how come the animators did not want to/weren't asked to work on it again?

This is a much more interesting conversation than how boring and lifeless OPM is.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Chaos Wings



Joined: 05 May 2015
Posts: 276
Location: Your guess is as good as mine?!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:31 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
Fromt eh current situation of mad house, it most likely would have beena worse result ahd mad house made this season.


I never mentioned Madhouse as the makers of S1 (deliberately so). The comment was only about how a new studio (J.C. Staff) and taken over animation production of S2 from the original team.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CrowLia



Joined: 24 Feb 2012
Posts: 5286
Location: Mexico
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:13 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
So what did cause the circumstances behind OPM 2 being what it is? Why didn't Shingo Natsume work on it, why did the production committee change studios, and how come the animators did not want to/weren't asked to work on it again?

This is a much more interesting conversation than how boring and lifeless OPM is.


This pretty much. We've known of the staff change almost since the second season was announced, but i don't think we ever learned why the change was so drastic. Of course a lot has to do with how Natsume Shingo's team was made up mostly of freelancers who probably have conflicting schedules and thus reassembling them for a second season proved too difficult. But you can tell the staff was very passionate about the first season, so I am quite curious as to why it was impossible to at least recruit some of the original staff back, specially Natsume himself.

Unfortunately, we'll probably never know
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
zrnzle500
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 04 Oct 2014
Posts: 3529
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:47 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
killjoy_the wrote:
So what did cause the circumstances behind OPM 2 being what it is? Why didn't Shingo Natsume work on it, why did the production committee change studios, and how come the animators did not want to/weren't asked to work on it again?

This is a much more interesting conversation than how boring and lifeless OPM is.


This pretty much. We've known of the staff change almost since the second season was announced, but i don't think we ever learned why the change was so drastic. Of course a lot has to do with how Natsume Shingo's team was made up mostly of freelancers who probably have conflicting schedules and thus reassembling them for a second season proved too difficult. But you can tell the staff was very passionate about the first season, so I am quite curious as to why it was impossible to at least recruit some of the original staff back, specially Natsume himself.

Unfortunately, we'll probably never know


In regard to Natsume, I think working on Boogiepop probably prevented him from working on OPM 2, given the lead time needed before airing - especially to make it at the same sort of level as the first season - and also just how many episodes they made of Boogiepop (an unusually high 18 in one cours). Not that it's impossible to direct anime airing in two consecutive seasons - or even in the same season, like Kei Oikawa did last spring with Hinamatsuri and Uma Musume - but I think making some of similar caliber to the first season would demand a director's full attention through the process. Though like you said, we may never really know, unless someone involved decides to talk about it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
killjoy_the



Joined: 30 May 2015
Posts: 1923
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:58 am Reply with quote
Well the second season was announced ages ago, so it didn't have to air right after Boogiepop. They could've waited until Shingo was available, if that was the issue. It's just so... weird. In cases like Kemono Friends you have a clear picture of why the company though to bank in on the creation while getting rid of the creative team behind it, but in this it's unclear. The easiest answer would be "because Shingo was busy throughout all that time" but the decision to go with another director was made two years ago. And while changing the director surely changes the animation team, I had a feel in the first season people were flocking to it as a passion project, given statements that they didn't have more time or more money to spend on it. What changed?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group