Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Fruits Basket

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:44 pm Reply with quote
I was curious how the season was going to end because obviously there's resolution needed with Kyo + Kazuma, but there was also a certain character in the OP that I thought might be present in the finale (she wasn't). You would expect some overall fallout with the major characters in a finale, and since the show is taking a short break, you would hope there's some teasers for S2 to entice newbies. All things considered, I thought the anime pulled off Ep. 25, and everything they needed to accomplish, beautifully.

The Kyo + Kazuma moment started us off with quite the emotional punch. Kyo’s childhood guilt of “dragging Kazuma down” by association is such a heartbreaking thing to be aware of as a kid. That self-destructive tendency to push away someone close to you to protect them is not an uncommon theme (and Kyo is not the first or last character within Fruits Basket itself that deals with it), but more often than not its seen through a romantic lens. And in contrast to Uotani’s story, it has absolutely nothing to do with Kyo's actions. His “worth" (or lack there of) within the Soma family is just that ingrained from an early age. Also, I'm not going to lie, I had to do a small double take hearing Kyo say "Tohru" so casually in conversation. After years of only reading it, I'm not used to it yet! Anime, give me a moment please haha

This finale further reminded me of just how good of a friend Hatsuharu is, with a lot of awareness when it comes to those close to him. He instantly knew something was off with Yuki and Tohru just from small observations and short conversations, but didn't press Yuki too far. He acknowledged him and understood that he "didn't want to talk about his feelings." He's a good ox.

I love that this finale in doesn't revel in a sense of finality or character resolution (outside seemingly the aforementioned father-son moment). While we've seen Tohru, Yuki, and Kyo go through hardships all season and come out for the better, they are in no way out of the woods yet. When Yuki acknowledges that he's taking steps towards self-improvement, even if they aren't huge, its so important. We should remind ourselves of the good we're doing for ourselves instead of becoming overwhelmed by where we are (or more accurately, where we aren't yet). For Kyo, one big emotional breakthrough can't magically get rid of trauma (like his hatred for Yuki). Sometimes, it may start with a catalyst, like Tohru entering the Soma's lives, but change is hard work and never as easy or fast as we want. And that's not taking into account any outside obstacles this fable has potentially blocking their path.

spoiler[Just a quick note on new characters: I was so excited to see Rin, Kakeru, and Machi! Even if they are just little teases, its crazy to finally see them animated. Rin is just as beautiful as I hoped she'd be, and I'm also pretty sure Kakeru has an earring, which seems to be an fun adaptational choice.]

Lastly, major props to ADR Director Caitlin Glass + the scriptwriters/cast for the passion they've put into the English dub AND keeping up with the same-day simuldub schedule for the entire season. This is the first time I can remember since maybe Space Dandy (can't remember for sure) where the same-day dub has stayed consistent throughout the season. Shows like My Hero Academia, SSSS.Gridman, etc... eventually had to fall back when Funi could no longer get the materials early. Shield Hero's dub was delayed by almost two months. All that hard work is really appreciated.

Alexis.Anagram wrote:
The only bit that felt a little too trite to me was every member of the cast showing up at the house for dinner (yeah, that seems like a nice thing to do for Tohru at first, until you realize she's the one who's going to be cooking for all of them...thanks SHIGURE)
I did not even think about this haha... Poor Tohru, hopefully she'll manage.

Alexis.Anagram wrote:

As a side note, props to KitKat1721 for calling Kakeru's English VA! I haven't watched the English dub for most of the later episodes yet, but it's cool that they did get Aaron Dismuke back in the show, after all.
I'm surprised you remembered this! Way back when the anime was first announced I made some cast predictions just for fun, and Kakeru's was one of the few I felt super confident on. I was definitely off for Machi (I originally had Caitlin Glass for Uotani; Dani Chambers for Machi). Now there's only a few more important characters left to cast!
Collectonian

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:47 pm Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:

This finale further reminded me of just how good of a friend Hatsuharu is, with a lot of awareness when it comes to those close to him. He instantly knew something was off with Yuki and Tohru just from small observations and short conversations, but didn't press Yuki too far. He acknowledged him and understood that he "didn't want to talk about his feelings." He's a good ox.

Yes! I don't think it's as apparent in the previous adaptation, but Haru is just a beautifully empathetic being and his friendship with Yuki is just so so good! I also love he just takes Tohru in as another one to look after in his own way, consoling her when he realizes she's worrying and doing his bit to help make it right, while at the same time not pushing his own feelings or being overbearing. Just a quiet, I think often overlooked presence as he cares for the people who matter to him most.
getchman
He started itHe started it

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:51 pm Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:

This is the first time I can remember since maybe Space Dandy (can't remember for sure) where the same-day dub has stayed consistent throughout the season.

Morose Mononokean 2 is the only other complete same day dub
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:59 am Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:
Alexis.Anagram wrote:
The only bit that felt a little too trite to me was every member of the cast showing up at the house for dinner (yeah, that seems like a nice thing to do for Tohru at first, until you realize she's the one who's going to be cooking for all of them...thanks SHIGURE)
I did not even think about this haha... Poor Tohru, hopefully she'll manage.

It was the first thing to cross my mind as well. Maybe they'll order takeout.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 15 of 15