• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Fruits Basket

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:55 pm Reply with quote
catandmouse wrote:
I can’t agree with the reviewer in that Kakeru is like Kyo minus the angst and drama. If Kakeru draws any parallel to any zodiac member that would have to be Ayame, and I believe Yuki pointed that out during Kakeru’s intro.
As far as the rest of the student council members just introduced this episode, Kimi is spoiler[meant to be.....]

While I don't necessarily agree that the student council members are as completely one-note as Lauren said (I think there are, for the most part, enough hints about them individually in this episode that there's more than meets the eye), but I don't think I understand posting all this stuff about them that will come up in due time. I know its spoiler-marked and all, but people who have read the manga already know all this, and I wouldn't want the reviewer to read spoilers in a comment about their opinion. And obviously the reviewer only has this episode to go off of, so her reaction seems totally fair with none of that stuff coming into play yet anyway. I think for me, I just wouldn't want to criticize her take based off future information not present yet.

I do agree with you about Kakeru being more like Ayame than Kyo in a lot of ways. I think it was more that Kakeru's ease around others brought up old, longheld insecurities Yuki had when around Kyo.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:42 am Reply with quote
Is this done for the season? I don't recall them using a "See you later" end card before. That also surprised me due to the new OP and ED, which series don't usually drop before a break.
Oggers

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:44 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Is this done for the season? I don't recall them using a "See you later" end card before. That also surprised me due to the new OP and ED, which series don't usually drop before a break.

This season is two cours long, just like the first season. "See You Later" (in Japanese it's "Ittekimasu", which is what you typically say before leaving your house) is just the title of the next episode.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:16 am Reply with quote
Oggers wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

This season is two cours long, just like the first season. "See You Later" (in Japanese it's "Ittekimasu", which is what you typically say before leaving your house) is just the title of the next episode.

It's pretty likely there will need to be a third season to complete the adaptation. The original announcement from Funimation promised that the entire manga will be adapted. At the current pace, that almost requires a third season.
Phrunicus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:00 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
It's pretty likely there will need to be a third season to complete the adaptation. The original announcement from Funimation promised that the entire manga will be adapted. At the current pace, that almost requires a third season.

I can't find where I originally saw it, but way back near the beginning, I remember reading something about people (VAs? or related to production) saying either 50 or 60+ episodes total. Here they were saying 63. Not sure if that's been confirmed in any way since?

A little late to the discussion, but as an anime-only person, there's something about the two "Yuki's Introspection" episodes that started and ended the first cour of this season that just don't "do" it for me. I don't know if it's just because it's so much in Yuki's head, and like really sidelines the other main characters, or what.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Ok, thanks. I'm used to them doing next episode title drops, but that's a phrase so often used by series that are taking a break, or hoping for an as-yet-ungreenlit season, that I didn't recognize it as a title and it kinda threw me. Smile
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Phrunicus wrote:
yuna49 wrote:

I can't find where I originally saw it, but way back near the beginning, I remember reading something about people (VAs? or related to production) saying either 50 or 60+ episodes total. Here they were saying 63. Not sure if that's been confirmed in any way since?

A little late to the discussion, but as an anime-only person, there's something about the two "Yuki's Introspection" episodes that started and ended the first cour of this season that just don't "do" it for me. I don't know if it's just because it's so much in Yuki's head, and like really sidelines the other main characters, or what.

We were discussing this on another page. I had mentioned the 60+ episodes and as much as they've covered now, we're saying that 63 won't cover everything, that they definately need more than that. I think there might be at least four seasons. I'd be surprised if they adapted the sequel manga too, yet maybe not too surprised.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:28 pm Reply with quote
While Fruits Basket definitely has its fair share of complicated or just downright awful parents, its pretty infuriating how Momiji’s father takes advantage of his son’s love towards a family he will never actually get to be a part of. I know he expresses remorse about the situation, but he knows Momiji will “do the right thing,” and that its easier to just ask more of him over and over than make things complicated for his wife and daughter. Making seemingly “small sacrifices” in comparison for the sake of the family is not a new concept for the Somas after all. This is the same man who once promised his son in a moment of desperation that he would love him twice over to make up for the loss of his mother (Because uh hello? I'm not really feeling the love here?).

The way Tohru was impacted by her mother's death is so consistent with her character. “As long as you are alive you will continue to have new wishes.” Her mom never coming home made her so aware of the fact that death takes away everything with it, every chance for things to change. It just stop there forever. I'm continuously impressed by how Kyoko’s death is so much more than a plot device to make Tohru live in a tent and then live with the Somas. And that any lingering effects of Tohru's grief are never just an easy bombshell dropped on the audience suddenly for a big, sweeping emotional moment. The way her grief has changed her or affected her mindset has simply been gradually built up with indicators of varying degrees here and there from pretty early on.
Quote:
Still, it's only the older generation that feels this way. The younger Sohma set (like Kagura with Kyo, for example) have always been far more forgiving, and it turns out that Momo just idolizes Momiji. The Sohma kids are still too innocent to adopt the prejudices of their parents, and this couldn't be more blatant than how Momo's recognition of Momiji's resemblance is obvious to her but explained away by her mother.

I think the way other Soma's view each other is still a bit more complicated than just "the younger generation is too innocent to be prejudice." Its a bit different with Momo due to the uniqueness of her status and family situation. She nor anyone in her "family" are Zodiac members, but still seem to live inside the inner compound. She may not understand anything that's going on, but she can probably still tell its unusual that she's kept apart from Momiji specifically. After all, he's not really ostracized from others within the estate (we've seen regular kids play with Zodiac members before, outside of Kyo). And I don't think her father really can give her any "reasons" to stay away besides "I said so" (or at least I really hope not), so her lack of preconceived notions towards Momiji make a ton of sense.

Just as we've seen examples of the younger generation forgoing prejudices (like with Kagura or Hatsuharu towards Kyo), we've seen just as many on the opposite side. Ignoring Yuki and Kyo's relationship, which is just a whole other bag of worms on its own, baby Hatsuharu hated Yuki from a distance based on preconceived notions. And while Hiro's attacks were never taken too seriously because he acted that way towards everyone, his insults towards Kyo were definitely a bit more steeped in Zodiac superiority compared to his barbs towards anyone else. spoiler[I can't remember if this was shown in S1 or not, but Kisa is actively a little scared of even just talking to Kyo. ] I don't think the younger Soma's are too innocent to be affected by prejudice, if anything those kids are exposed to a lot from any early age and we've seen how much of a lasting impact an adult's words can have on them. Its just drastically weaker and easier to undo than the older generation would have it. Just look at the older Zodiac members, who don't ever seem to treat Kyo differently. I wonder how much of that has to do with maturity vs. those three being the same age as Akito growing up (and therefore never really being abused or belittled by him to the same extent as the others). And in turn, how the younger Zodiac members saw their behavior, which provided a counterbalance next to Akito's cruelty. It could have been drastically different if the head of the family was say, a good decade or more older than everyone else.

Side note: Speaking of generational gaps, I crack up thinking about how that first complete New Year's Zodiac banquet must have gone. You have at least a couple babies (with Kisa and Hiro being 1-2 years old), a bunch of toddlers, and poor teenage Hatori/Shigure/Ayame trying to take care of everyone (because let's be honest, Akito and Ritsu aren't going to help).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:57 pm Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:
She nor anyone in her "family" are Zodiac members, but still seem to live inside the inner compound.

If that's so, why does she need a way to sneak inside? I had the impression that Momiji's father keeps two residences - one inside the compound where Momiji lives, and one outside where he lives with his "perfect" family. But I admit I haven't been scrutinizing this with much diligence, so my perceptions are usually off. Smile
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
KitKat1721 wrote:
She nor anyone in her "family" are Zodiac members, but still seem to live inside the inner compound.

If that's so, why does she need a way to sneak inside? I had the impression that Momiji's father keeps two residences - one inside the compound where Momiji lives, and one outside where he lives with his "perfect" family. But I admit I haven't been scrutinizing this with much diligence, so my perceptions are usually off. Smile

Yeah, I just about to go back and edit this because I'm honestly not sure looking back. I do know they live separately (I think Momiji was mostly raised day to day by people in the main estate and occasionally Hatori, although his father was still clearly present). But watching the actual episode, the "main estate" and inner compound might just be the same thing. Where as beforehand, I always assumed the main estate was like, the actual main house or something, and the inner compound was a larger network of everyone who was either a Zodiac member or close to one. Either way, her case is so unique compared to the others, its hard to group it in with the other Soma's when it comes to examining how they react to prejudices set by adults.
catandmouse

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Watching this weeks episode, many years removed from when I first read it, I got to thinking why the hell couldn't Momiji still be Momo’s brother without the need to be his mother’s son? I mean she got her memory of him erased, so couldn’t her memories be manipulated a bit so that she thinks she came into the picture a little later?what I’m trying to get at is that wouldn’t it have been easy to make up a story that Momiji’s dad had been married before and Momiji is the product of that relationship? I don’t think it would be too outrageous to make her believe that and that can also explain why he wouldn’t live with them. It’s not uncommon for stepmoms and stepchildren to not see eye to eye. She’d still come off as a b*tch, but at least that way the dad wouldn’t need to do so much tiptoeing around his first born son. That was what I thought about part of the episode.
spoiler[ That revelation that they are siblings and the whole curse thing must’ve been a whole clusterF. The sequel reveals that the younger generation knows of the curse and it also shows Momo works with/for Momiji and she calls him brother. I wonder how that was breached and if his mother ever accepted him?]
As for the Kureno/Uo thing. Even all these years later it’s still once of my least favorite romances in the series. It felt forced to me when I was 18, and it still feels forced to me a good 15 years later. I’m not even too squeaked over the age gap... it’s just their whole “falling in love” Schtick that bothers me. Like honestly, how did that even happen? Why? when? spoiler[ Yes, I admit, Ritsu and Shigure’s editor was also kinda like that, spontaneous, but They were also made similarly neurotic so you can kinda see how it makes sense something might develop there. I’m not even gonna mention probably the squeakiest of romances in the series; that Twilight level imprinting stuff, but somehow the one that always really bothered was Kureno/Uo. Maybe because here was a try to explain it? I don’t remember there ever really being any “reasons” for some of the other less developed romances, but Uo straight up mentions Kureno is like a male Tohru and he mentions he likes her brightness or some such. I also didn’t care for the romance in her next series after Furuba for that same reason, which was I felt the reasons were shallow. ]
I also didn’t really care for Tohru meddling in her friend’s love life, but that may just be because I’ve always been the type to think you should only meddle in those types of sensitive topics if you are asked to do so, which Uo didn’t. Besides, Uo can be heartbroken right now, but she’s 17 and doesn’t really know much about this guy. In reality, she’d get over him and move on with her life shortly. Him being just a pleasant or possibly bittersweet memory.
spoiler[Maybe that was the case. There was absolutely no mention of Uo in the sequel series. Even Hanajima’s son features in the sequel as funnily enough, a good friend to Ayame’s kid and Shigure’s kid.]
As for the animation, the more I watch this new remake, and read the sequel, I’m impressed she was able to tie them up so neatly. There are many almost obscure callbacks to the mother series that it would make sense if they just animated it as an additional season to Fruits Basket as opposed to making it a separate entity. I Think they can do a short 10-12 episode season with the sequel volumes.
Sisyphusson66

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:29 pm Reply with quote
catandmouse wrote:
Quote:
Watching this weeks episode, many years removed from when I first read it, I got to thinking why the hell couldn't Momiji still be Momo’s brother without the need to be his mother’s son?

I think the reason why it wouldn't work is that there would still be the chance for the curse to be revealed to the mother. Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't it the case that only a few outside of the cursed families new about the curse anyway? I don't know if we ever know whether or not she is aware of other cursed Soma's before the memory erasure, or if the erasure removed all knowledge of the cursed ones, but I would assume that all knowledge would have been wiped. Then there is also the chance of Momo finding out, which would most likely make it back to her mother in some way. The father took the easy way out, but the hassle of having to make sure that the two female members of the family would not find out about the curse surely would have taken its toll on all parties involved. And even if they did the whole step-mother thing, (I assume with her maintaining the knowledge of the curse?) that would probably hurt Momiji even more, as he would have his own mother constantly denying his existence or seeing him as a freak, not to mention that there would probably be no way in hell she would let him near Momo.
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:00 am Reply with quote
Sisyphusson66 wrote:
catandmouse wrote:
Quote:
Watching this weeks episode, many years removed from when I first read it, I got to thinking why the hell couldn't Momiji still be Momo’s brother without the need to be his mother’s son?

I think the reason why it wouldn't work is that there would still be the chance for the curse to be revealed to the mother. Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't it the case that only a few outside of the cursed families new about the curse anyway? I don't know if we ever know whether or not she is aware of other cursed Soma's before the memory erasure, or if the erasure removed all knowledge of the cursed ones, but I would assume that all knowledge would have been wiped. Then there is also the chance of Momo finding out, which would most likely make it back to her mother in some way. The father took the easy way out, but the hassle of having to make sure that the two female members of the family would not find out about the curse surely would have taken its toll on all parties involved. And even if they did the whole step-mother thing, (I assume with her maintaining the knowledge of the curse?) that would probably hurt Momiji even more, as he would have his own mother constantly denying his existence or seeing him as a freak, not to mention that there would probably be no way in hell she would let him near Momo.

It's said that the whole erasure power is actually an advanced form of hypnosis. It's passed down from Hatori's male bloodline in his family (grandpa, dad, Hatori...ect). So those who are exposed to the power are usually made to keep their distance from everyone else for fear it could break and the memories come back.
thebond&thecurse

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:13 am Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
KitKat1721 wrote:

Yeah, I just about to go back and edit this because I'm honestly not sure looking back. I do know they live separately (I think Momiji was mostly raised day to day by people in the main estate and occasionally Hatori, although his father was still clearly present). But watching the actual episode, the "main estate" and inner compound might just be the same thing. Where as beforehand, I always assumed the main estate was like, the actual main house or something, and the inner compound was a larger network of everyone who was either a Zodiac member or close to one. Either way, her case is so unique compared to the others, its hard to group it in with the other Soma's when it comes to examining how they react to prejudices set by adults.

The Sohma estate has a lot of layers. You can just keep progressively going deeper inside like a box inside a box inside a box inside a box. The Sohma estate as a whole has "branch households" and a "main household" and degrees of varying closeness of the different branch households ... it's based on an actual ancient form of the Japanese family system and is quite ... complicated. But fascinatingly so.

If you ever have interest to read a long article about it: https://www.patreon.com/posts/30488105
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:44 pm Reply with quote
thebond&thecurse wrote:
The Sohma estate has a lot of layers. You can just keep progressively going deeper inside like a box inside a box inside a box inside a box. The Sohma estate as a whole has "branch households" and a "main household" and degrees of varying closeness of the different branch households

Ok, but that still doesn't explain why Momo needs a secret way into the compound (from the outside, where Tohru started), unless she's normally living "off campus." It would make sense if she walked in through the front like she belonged there, and then had secret ways to get into the more sequestered part where Momiji lives.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 19 of 22