• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Fruits Basket

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thebond&thecurse

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
thebond&thecurse wrote:
The Sohma estate has a lot of layers. You can just keep progressively going deeper inside like a box inside a box inside a box inside a box. The Sohma estate as a whole has "branch households" and a "main household" and degrees of varying closeness of the different branch households

Ok, but that still doesn't explain why Momo needs a secret way into the compound (from the outside, where Tohru started), unless she's normally living "off campus." It would make sense if she walked in through the front like she belonged there, and then had secret ways to get into the more sequestered part where Momiji lives.

I agree. I personally think this is a problem on the anime's part, as the "outside" Sohma estate in the manga isn't depicted as being walled, just the inner estate. When Tohru first visits the estate in the manga, Momiji explains that all the houses she passed on her own on the way to the gate were Sohma households. She's surprised because she would have had no way of knowing that, that the households surrounding the walled estate were also Sohma households.

In the anime, Momiji tells Tohru that all the houses she passed once she entered the first big outer gate were Sohma households. Her surprise to that doesn't really make sense, because she already passed the big gate with the Sohma nameplate into the walled Sohma estate, so of course those were all Sohma households.

If things were depicted as they are in the manga, then Tohru can freely walk through the unwalled outer estate 'neighborhood' of the Sohma where "outsiders" like Momo live, but once she reaches the wall, that's the inner estate, and she nor Momo can get in. So they walk around the outside and Momo has discovered there is a hole to sneak through.

An anime-only possible explanation is that the front gate leads to the outer estate, but the back wall and gate that Tohru saw near the hole leads to the inner estate, kind of like the inner estate is 'backed up' up against the backside of the larger outer estate.

There is my best attempt lol Smile
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:41 pm Reply with quote
One thing I was a bit disappointed with in the developments of the latest episode concerning Kakeru's interest in Tohru is that a couple scenes from the manga were removed for the anime adaptation that provided a little more insight into this plot point.

One bit removed was during the scene at the shrine with the deer with Tohru and friends, Hanajima mentioned that she had a feeling that she seen Kakeru at some point in the past involving Tohru. The other bit was during Kakeru's later conversation with Yuki, he mentioned he'd tell Yuki at a later time why he's interested in Tohru.

What is know thus far at this point is that Kakeru's interest in Tohru isn't romantic and that he met her at some point in the past.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:04 pm Reply with quote
They definitely jam-packed a lot into this episode, and you can tell they wanted to get the school trip chapters wrapped up in one week (which is fair considering they aren't quite long enough to warrant stretching it out too much). Most the cuts were pretty minor elements of foreshadowing or just comedic anyway, so nothing really vital in the end that's worth getting into. Although I do love the short scene with the two teachers (Mayu included) just not giving a crap whether the students are sneaking off and meeting up in each others' rooms at night. They're just like "eh stuff like that's bound to happen, best not to get involved."

Overall, I think it was a really nice, feel-good breather after the more emotionally charged episodes from the last few weeks (and most likely going forward at some point). We got more of Yuki branching out and making friendships outside of the Soma circle and letting people get to know the real him over his more guarded "princely" persona. I even liked the idea of Yuki just grabbing a nice maple leaf for Nao and Machi (who both said they actively did not want anything) and not worrying at all about getting a perfect souvenir, just something in the moment that shows he thought about them. Past Yuki probably would have never done something like that. We saw Kyo breaking hearts left and right. I mean, yeah he was a little harsh, but his reaction makes a lot of sense considering his own lack of self-worth ("why would you even want to date someone like me?") and having to bottle up and push down his own feelings for Tohru because of his own future laid out for him.

And Tohru making a little clay cat figurine to go with her Zodiac set is one of the cutest things I've seen in the show. I really hope Funimation includes that Cat figure with the last LE blu-ray set. If they continue their trend of releasing three figures with each blu-ray, I'd expect it with the 5th and likely final cour.
Leviathonlx

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
(who look nothing like her, it's interesting to note)

I would't look too into that given the zodiac's hair and eye colors are affected by whatever zodiac animal they have.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:31 pm Reply with quote
I think I was a little bit unprepared for how intense this week's episode was going to be despite knowing it was coming. I also appreciated how the anime adaptation brought a lot of extra touches to these chapters. The addition of her childhood doll becoming a spectator for Rin's story, showing how Shigure watched Tohru comfort her mid-breakdown, yet another hint at a "mostly unseen" character speaking to young Rin, etc...

The Zodiac members have this inescapable connection not only to their God, but each other as well. Even outside of the bonds of the clan and relative isolation, there's something about growing up under abusive systems with others who share and understand your experiences to a degree on some level. Whether they are frustrated and rebel against it or subconsciously use it as a way to cope, that knowledge isn’t something you can easily shake when your whole existence is essentially tied to being a part of a centuries-old group defined by fate. "I don't want you" & “You’ll just bring them down with you” are just about the worst things Akito could say to almost any one of them. But especially Rin with those words mirroring and bringing back her old trauma.

For the entirety of S2, she’s been completely alone. Her parents abused and left her years ago. The God of the Zodiac cast her aside saying she’s a burden who only exists to make up the numbers. She can’t really connect to anyone in the family out of her own frustration and anger that’s built up over time. She can no longer confide in Haru due to exacerbated, deep-seated insecurities and fear that was already present long before Akito found out about them. Her health has been deteriorating for some time on top of everything. And she’s now grasping at straws trying to even find clues to accomplish something that may be impossible. If she’s a burden who’s not “good enough” for her parents, the Zodiac, or for Haru - she’s going to die trying to at least make the one she loves happy by freeing him from the curse. And putting all that on her shoulders was bound to cause her to break.

I thought what Lauren said about Rin seeing sex as part of her self-worth was interesting. I never saw it that way before. Maybe due to how I've seen her relationship with Haru? I guess it never felt like she was using sex to solely feel better about herself or gain/shift any power dynamics (see Scum's Wish or Beastars). But it is interesting that she believes sex to be the only way to gain Shigure's help. I guess she just had so little self-worth because of her trauma, but still understood her looks compared to typical beauty standards (tall, thin, long hair, etc...). And felt like that was all she had to go on.
Phrunicus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Got behind a few weeks while my wife was out of town (since we're watching together), finally caught up on eps 16-18. We're anime-only (first?) here, just for reference. Despite the intensity of Rin's backstory in the latest episode, there's always been something about Momiji's situation that makes me feel for him the most. Some of it is getting his story first, and then having this reinforcement. Some of it is just the heartbreak of seeing Momiji doing his best to be strong for everyone, and they did such a fantastic job in animation and voice acting of conveying how that pain is still hiding below the surface and all.

My first thought on hearing the girl who'd confessed to Kyo accuse Uo of wanting him was that she was obviously genre/trope-savvy, as it'd be so typically tsundere...
TanyaTheEvil

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:10 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed this weeks review
Birriaman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Good review. That scene with Rin crying in Tohru’s arms was cathartic, probably one of the most powerful scenes to date in the anime. Nothing else to say except that I really hated Rin’s black nightgown (at the hospital). Don’t know why but I just dislike that fashion sense.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Birriaman wrote:
I really hated Rin’s black nightgown (at the hospital). Don’t know why but I just dislike that fashion sense.

I thought it was the single sexiest scene in the entire series myself. To each his own.
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Their previously concealed step-sibling relationship

I know the subtitles said step-siblings also but, based on how Kakeru described things, surely they’re half-siblings, right? Same father, different mothers, or did I read that wrong?
TichoSlicer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Kakeru may have his (many, many) irritating points...

yeah, sorry, but i cant handle ANY of the student council's characters, they are all just TOO F* ANNOYING to my taste... I really didn't care at all to this epi... ;/
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Such a come-down from the drama of the last few weeks. I especially hate characters that yell all the time, which both the student council boys seem to do. Hope this arc ends after the performance next week so we can get back to more serious business.
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:36 pm Reply with quote
blameitonStarBlazers wrote:
Quote:
Their previously concealed step-sibling relationship

I know the subtitles said step-siblings also but, based on how Kakeru described things, surely they’re half-siblings, right? Same father, different mothers, or did I read that wrong?

You're correct. He said in the show that his mother was the mistress.
catandmouse

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:00 am Reply with quote
I was gonna mention that Kakeru and Machi are half-siblings, not step-siblings.
I don’t mind Kimi and the perpetually angry short kid, Kimi is actually fun cus she's meant to be vapid. The other kid I actually would have liked for him to have had his happy ending, but it seems it didn’t go that way. Then again honestly, teenaged crushes usually don’t last a lifetime.
Birriaman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:38 am Reply with quote
I read the manga years ago, so I remember the overall gist of how it ends and the all-important upcoming character reveal. But I have no idea what this “cliffhanger” was all about. Guess it’s been a while...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 20 of 22