• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: YU-NO: A girl who chants love at the bound of this world.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jroa

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 6:19 pm Reply with quote
ThrowMeOut wrote:
Man this show feels like a rough draft of Stein's;Gate. It's like SG took all the decent ideas this visual novel had and made them, um, gooder.

This is pointing out the obvious, but we aren't looking at the visual novel here. Events didn't exactly play out like this, because the anime has made a few changes and it is clear the show needs to summarize, so judging ideas or their execution by using an adaptation is purely indirect at best. Even playing the Steins Gate VN was a different experience from watching the show and that had less of an adaptation gap.
_Archer_

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 2:33 pm Reply with quote
The episode 5 review is really good and very spot on. Even without having played the game, the author really nailed the core points of the episode's structure, why this part of the story exists, and how the anime adapted this part of the game. I had other issues with this episode, but I can't go into them without spoiling things. They took an interesting direction all things considered, but that's something that may or may not only become more clear over time.

As a bit of Trivia, the name of the song from the "suicide montage" part of the episode is called "Fate", and is part of the original game's OST. Fitting given what Takuya is trying to stop.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It also affords some drama from the burgeoning Takuya/Mio romance to their mutual friend Yuki. The little guy has clearly wanted Mio to step on him for a while now, so he lingers just out of sight to get crushed overhearing Mitsuki shedding some light on the obligatory romantic dynamic.

Sure, the guy seems to like her, but I'm not getting those vibes from him (or the show). Unless I'm missing something here.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:28 am Reply with quote
The review complains about low stakes and I agree, hotugh I hink we are still waiting for the shoe to drop.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 11:00 am Reply with quote
I got a fairly different vibe from the Mitsuki/Mio/Takuya scene... as I think we were given the context: Takuya and Mitsuki pretty much had sex once, it was his first time and Mio walked in on it. If there's anything else we need to know, it'd reach the "Too much information" range.

It's kind of weird to have a scene like that between three people and then complain about bad chemistry between Takuya and Mio. I infer they were close as they have the oddest habit of barging in on the other's privacy but it go strained... somehow. I'd say the base situation is that Mio's into him but she's also repulsed by 1) the fact that she IS into him and 2) He apparently has a type and its about ten years older than her.

This episode was a let down compared to the previous one which switched gears to a Higurashi curse thing... but then Mio's dad started swinging a shotgun. In Japan. And aiming a loaded gun at people who knocked on his door? We have murders and we're looking for a murder suspect so let's just say he's number two right now.

Suspect number one is a little too important for this arc anyway.
Changeitup

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 4:46 pm Reply with quote
I agree this show is a bit of a dull mess, and yet it dangles just enough interesting tidbits to keep me watching the next episode. Like I'm not even sure what the plot is yet? Something something time travel? By episode nine you'd think you should have an inkling about what the main goal is.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:21 am Reply with quote
Changeitup wrote:
I agree this show is a bit of a dull mess, and yet it dangles just enough interesting tidbits to keep me watching the next episode. Like I'm not even sure what the plot is yet? Something something time travel? By episode nine you'd think you should have an inkling about what the main goal is.

Yeah, I'm right there in that the show does just enough to keep me watching each week, but I've moved on the minute I start watching something else.

I do agree that the overarching plot seems pretty much hidden at this point since we're only getting bits here and there. It seems like it is taking an approach I've seen in VNs where you have to clear every route to finally get to the main one that explains everything. I don't know if the Yu-No VN does that itself, but that is the impression I'm getting.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Changeitup wrote:

Yeah, I'm right there in that the show does just enough to keep me watching each week, but I've moved on the minute I start watching something else.

I do agree that the overarching plot seems pretty much hidden at this point since we're only getting bits here and there. It seems like it is taking an approach I've seen in VNs where you have to clear every route to finally get to the main one that explains everything. I don't know if the Yu-No VN does that itself, but that is the impression I'm getting.

the VN does exactly that.Except it's quite literally since it involves time travel.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:14 pm Reply with quote
After watching this episode, I realized “Niarb” is just brain spelled backwards. I really hope there is more to it than that.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:40 am Reply with quote
Ep 11

Well, we got one lady who is very physically capable - maybe she should be in a baseball show - and minorspoiler[seems to have some idea of what is going on.] And the school principal has a minor spoiler[ reality distortion field, at least.] Now if the main character can do more than just minor spoiler[bluff about what he knows] and just tag a long for the ride, this might come together. Right now this feels like the plot parts were stuck on at random. Which is often the case with date game based shows, to be fair. The plot arc of the last few eps, that is going to have to connect a lot of things. I hope they pull it off.

Also, I'm voting for Mio as best girl. Smile Just my two bits.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:53 am Reply with quote
No subtitles on the episode up today ( 2019-07-09 ). Very annoying, Crunchyroll. The gag spoiler[with the train] was still pretty funny, though.

Now that I watch the whole thing, subtitles started and then stopped several times. And there was some digital breakup - a narrow horizontal line in one scene. Maybe there is a corrupted file, or this stream doesn't work on the old model Roku stick I have. ???

As for the show- I am not usually a big fan of shoot-em-up shows anymore, but spoiler[the two ep arc with the teacher] has been the best part of the show for me. It's too bad, but the rest has been just not that interesting. It's not even passing the "Meh, it's ok I guess" test.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Subtitles fixed. Thank you, folks at Crunchyroll. Very Happy

I second the review. This ep may not have done much with the plot, but for a beach episode it was fun.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2