• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Wise Man's Grandchild

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
comicguy

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 12:51 pm Reply with quote
I Like it so far it's not amazing but it's enjoyable .
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 4:44 pm Reply with quote
I am pleasantly surpised to see how nice of a reception this show is getting,I found the manga to be pretty average, so this being decently received means the public is still not tired of isekai overall.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 5:11 pm Reply with quote
These thoughts you keep stating that you think that the prince and the king are trying to scheme/manipulate/etc. Shin is so far off from what's actually going on its embarrassing. It's not even remotely close to that.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I agree, that opening was pretty wtf. So out of place in this, and serving no purpose whatsoever, unless it's foreshadowing some plotline about bidets or the sewer systems of the kingdom.

Quote:
I find her vastly annoying

Oh lord yes. "I'm a girl, I'm too stupid to decide anything, you pick for me what I like!" "Wait, what? He's going to protect other people besides meeeee?" ::hurt jealousy:: Rolling Eyes
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
These thoughts you keep stating that you think that the prince and the king are trying to scheme/manipulate/etc. Shin is so far off from what's actually going on its embarrassing. It's not even remotely close to that.

The series would be way more interesting if it at least did that much. I can't fault the reviewer for hoping there is something beyond aug's generic buddy routine and the king's bland trope of good monarch is noble but not everyone under his command will respect his policy
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 8:48 pm Reply with quote
MiloTheFirst wrote:
Lord Vaultman wrote:

The series would be way more interesting if it at least did that much. I can't fault the reviewer for hoping there is something beyond aug's generic buddy routine and the king's bland trope of good monarch is noble but not everyone under his command will respect his policy

I disagree the show isnt perfect but there's enough thats going to happen that you wont need that dynamic added.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
Would you mind labeling or blacking out your spoilers, please? I'm enjoying this show as it comes, including speculating about stuff we don't know yet, and I'd appreciate getting some warning about future events getting revealed like that. :/
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:56 pm Reply with quote
steelmirror wrote:
Lord Vaultman wrote:
...is so far off from what's actually going on its embarrassing. It's not even remotely close to that.

I'm enjoying this show as it comes, including speculating about stuff we don't know yet

I agree. I was going to say something but held my tongue, so I'm glad you didn't. It's not even the vague spoiler stuff that really bothered me about that comment, but rather the judgement that you should be embarrassed to even speculate, unless of course you happen to guess right. Trying to guess what will happen is half the fun, but back-seat driving like that kinda ruins the trip.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Yes, what was up with that ending? Were they trying to copy Kaguya's special ending but didn't have the means to come close to it?

I don't mind the rom-com too much. I like that they seem quite smitten with each other. I hope that they become a couple sooner rather than later so we can actually see some relationship progress
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 12:27 am Reply with quote
One of the main problems with this show, IMO, is that it's got some serious tonal whiplash going on. One moment, you get scenes that wouldn't seem out of place on AoT, and then you get HIGH SCHOOL HI-JINX! And, I'm sorry, but that romance between Shin and Sizzle-lean is horrible. Mainly because I can't stand the girl. Shin's okay. In fact, most of the characters are at least okay in my book. But not that girl. Holy crap.

Anyway, like the reviewer was saying, this show doesn't know what it wants to be. Here's some advice, guys making this show, make it an action show if you can't do romance any better than that.

And that ending piece... not too often I've been so bemused by how awful an ending theme is, but they did accomplish it.

This show remains on the bubble for me. As much as there are aspects of it that I like, the aspects that I don't like are started to overwhelm the good stuff (well, the decent stuff). I hope the creators get their feet under them before too much longer.
arkhangelsk

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 7:50 am Reply with quote
I'm actually somewhat impressed with this show. I get the vibe that the writing and content is really no better than Smartphone or Slave ... etc, but Silver Link seems better at pulling out the more sellable elements and presenting them to us, including drawing the main heroine cutely (something Smartphone IMO fell flat at), so the show is still in the running after 6 episodes - more than can be said for the others.

And really, there's no point in hating Sicily. She's an archetype, but frankly isn't particularly poorly executed. I can get into her a lot more than that Elf or that Beastgirl from Slave. The show at least does a good job of showing why she's the pick - an important characteristic.
SleepOverFunction

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 6:30 pm Reply with quote
The ending animation being that was because the singer for the ending theme, Nanami Yoshi, is a virtual artist represented by that 3d avatar and in that particular episode she also voices the Miranda character, so it's some brand synergy I guess. Now, the fact that it looked bad is something I don't have a explanation for though lol.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-11-29/virtual-talent-nanami-yoshi-performs-ending-theme-for-kenja-no-mago-anime/.140121
[url]person#182847
[/url]
steelmirror

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 7:15 pm Reply with quote
arkhangelsk wrote:
And really, there's no point in hating Sicily. She's an archetype, but frankly isn't particularly poorly executed. I can get into her a lot more than that Elf or that Beastgirl from Slave. The show at least does a good job of showing why she's the pick - an important characteristic.
I am by no means picking on this comment, but it does really parallel my own thoughts on the show in general, which goes something like 'okay yeah this show is pretty disposable and unoriginal, but hey, at least there are no literal slaves!" And that's not really the best thing to realize about my anime viewing habits. :'D

It speaks to a distressingly low bar for these isekai shows, and again, I'm absolutely not ragging on you arkhangelsk, or anyone else who has said something similar, because I have those exact same thoughts.

Well I disagree on the specifics in that I think Sizzle Lean is actually a terribly executed character, and that I did find the beast girl from 'How Not To Summon A Demonlord' to be at least more interesting and entertaining than she is, and that as far as I can tell almost any other character in the show male or female has more chemistry with the MC, but I still get where you are coming from for the show as a whole.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 11:22 pm Reply with quote
arkhangelsk wrote:
The show at least does a good job of showing why she's the pick - an important characteristic.

Why is she his pick? Boobs? She was the first female he got to protecc? Otherwise, I don't see what the attraction is. Not that boobs isn't enough for anime characters and some rl people...
steelmirror

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 5:03 pm Reply with quote
I may have finally dropped this show. The first half of episode 7 was so boring, the plotline of "arrogant knights learn to rely on mages" was boring and rote last episode, so seeing it played out AGAIN and just as predictably 2 (3? I can't even remember) more times was just torture. And actually, the time with the girls seemed like it probably would have been the least boring version of that incredibly predictable plot, except that the sleezy guys were so sleazy that I just wanted to not be watching the episode anymore.

And so I stopped. Smile I'll let you guys forge ahead with this one, if it sounds like it improves I may be back, but between how boring the main romance is and how boring the telegraphed plots have become, I'm out for now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6