• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Helpful Fox Senko-san

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Northlander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:49 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I'm not sure how Steve failed to grasp the point of the tone shift he was complaining about. Without it, this would've just been another episode. But the point was providing a sense of closure to the series. It wasn't drama just for drama's sake.

Their life together had been going along just fine, but like the series, it can't continue that way forever. "Everything comes to an end." The question for Senko was, "knowing that, and knowing it will be painful, do you still want to see it through?" That's a choice everyone faces (even if for some the answer is no).

When you have to wait a whole week between episode 11 and 12, I guess it's always possible for your mind to wander, although I did think it was quite fitting that -- despite the stark truths episode 12 put forth -- most of the concerns were settled rather quickly. And besides, if you refrain from doing something because "everything comes to an end", you will end up doing nothing.

Come to think of it, this topic was front and center in episode 11 of Aria the Animation, where Alice commented on how much fun she was having training with Akari and Aika, but once they all become prima -- which was the dream of all three of them -- that will come to an end, to which their seniors chimed in with the advice to just enjoy whatever you have when you have it. And then, in the future, you look back at all the fun times you've had.

Quote:
Given the premise of the series, I think they made the right choice to include this message. That said, I'm not exactly sure it's a premise that bears much looking into. As long as Senko is around, he's unlikely to find a human companion, or have children, or fall in love (the series seemed to want to keep their relationship platonic, which seems wise. Smile), or even just to stand up for himself at work to fix his own darkness, since she can't do that for him. As long as she makes his work situation endurable, he'll endure it. So that's not so healthy.

Well, given that Nanako at least at two times during the first half expressed how undeserving he was at being pampered in any way, maybe it'll work the other way around. With enough pampering and positive reinforcement that he's worth more than having to be treated like this, he'll feel more at ease making a stand against his terrible boss. Or maybe even learn how to get said boss to loosen up a bit, if the footage at the very end of the last episode was any indication.

And as far as human companions go; it can't be a coincidence that the show quickly introduces us to a... presumably closely aged woman living just next door that he's started interacting with too, despite his insanely busy work scedule.

I mean, yeah, his situation isn't healthy and all, and I think Senko has just barely gotten started on healing that almost completely obliterated sense of self-worth, given how far it had been beaten down. I mean... it took until episode 11 before he allowed himself to break down and cry over his situation. And even without Senko, you can see how relaxed and at home he felt when he went back to visit his parents. None of that dogged tiredness, even when the people at work once again called him up and pestered him about work even at his given day off.

So no, I don't think Senko's pampering is the only part that may or may not bring Nakao out of his self-imposed shadowy shell, but the things she does is helping a lot.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
When you have to wait a whole week between episode 11 and 12, I guess it's always possible for your mind to wander

I'm not sure what you mean by that. His complaint just seemed to be that they got drama in his iyashikei and he wasn't on board for that one bit. He's been consistent in that whenever they've introduced anything above ASMR-levels of plotting, but I thought he seemed especially put out by it this week.

You make good points about her benefits to Nanako, so I'll concede that one. Smile
Northlander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:06 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Northlander wrote:
When you have to wait a whole week between episode 11 and 12, I guess it's always possible for your mind to wander

I'm not sure what you mean by that. His complaint just seemed to be that they got drama in his iyashikei and he wasn't on board for that one bit. He's been consistent in that whenever they've introduced anything above ASMR-levels of plotting, but I thought he seemed especially put out by it this week.

You make good points about her benefits to Nanako, so I'll concede that one. Smile

Well, I should have said "one's mind" instead, since I wasn't talking about anyone specifically. What I meant was more that the show suddenly whipped out something that looked like it might've had a bittersweet conclusion in an otherwise sweet (and a bit indulging), you are going to spend that week until the last season wondering if the show will go off the rail and produce a bittersweet, maybe even depressing ending. Particularly seeing as the show itself has a very serious theme at its core, and it wouldn't be the first show to pull a serious mood whiplash on its audience. (Though myself, I doubted that would be the case, although I certainly didn't expect them to resolve it that quickly.)

Besides, if this show is based on a much longer manga work, it would be weird if they took Senko out of the equation this quicky, and maybe it's a bit insulting of the older Fox deity to assume Senko isn't aware of the fact that she's going to outlive Nanako with a rather solid margin, much like most people would be at least somewhat aware that if they accept a pet into their home, they are going to outlive said pet. Not that Nanako is a pet or anything; I'm just thinking "differences in life span" here. ^^;;

Though again, we didn't really get to see much of how Senko handled it when Nanako's ancestor passed away, so maybe the elder fox's worried weren't necessarily for nothing. But one can always hope for a second season, right?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3