• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toonami Premieres Lupin the Third: Part 5 Anime on June 15

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to it. Especially since, with only one musical score, Yuji Ohno's, the dub will be more watchable.

(Though I'd be more excited if TMS didn't keep flagging my review videos on YouTube...)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SolHerald

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:10 pm Reply with quote
I think its likely that Discotek will release it at a later date, so that's pretty cool. And like penguintruth said, since we don't have the whole weird co-production thing going on, they won't butcher the op/ed/bgm, so I can enjoy the dub more thoroughly.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Cool, which show is this replacing?
Duelist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
Cool, which show is this replacing?

JoJo should be done the week before.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
BaronViolet

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:11 am Reply with quote
I hope they bring back the cast from part 4. As for Ami and Albert, I think Ryan Bartley and Keith Silverstein would be grrat choices to voice them respectfully.
Duelist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:13 am Reply with quote
BaronViolet wrote:
I hope they bring back the cast from part 4. As for Ami and Albert, I think Ryan Bartley and Keith Silverstein would be grrat choices to voice them respectfully.

99% sure the Part 4 cast is returning. We definitely know Epcar is involved at least.

Last edited by Duelist on Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:35 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:18 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I'm looking forward to it. Especially since, with only one musical score, Yuji Ohno's, the dub will be more watchable.
Why what happaned to the shows music?
BaronViolet wrote:
It seems like Keith Silverstein will just be Lupin for the Takeshi Koike films.
Duelist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:37 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
It seems like Keith Silverstein will just be Lupin for the Takeshi Koike films.

Hasn't only one of those been dubbed so far? It's entirely possible they will continue to use the Part 2/Part 4 cast for new Lupin dubs.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:45 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

The material of Part IV that TMS sent to Discotek to dub was from the Italian TV broadcast, so it didn’t have Yuji Ohno’s music, which was in the Japanese broadcast. It had different music from the Italian version. Ostensibly this was TMS’s fault. (At least this is how I understand it.) But that’s why there’s separate releases for the Japanese and English versions on Blu-Ray in North America.

But Part V only has one OST, so now I can enjoy the English dub without cringing over different music.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Wyvern

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:06 am Reply with quote
Fantastic news. Lupin Part 5 was one of 2018's best shows, and it seems like a really good fit for Adult Swim. I do wonder if the "part 5" tag will confuse some people, though. The show feels more like it's season 2 of the Black Jacket series.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:53 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

The material of Part IV that TMS sent to Discotek to dub was from the Italian TV broadcast, so it didn’t have Yuji Ohno’s music, which was in the Japanese broadcast. It had different music from the Italian version. Ostensibly this was TMS’s fault. (At least this is how I understand it.) But that’s why there’s separate releases for the Japanese and English versions on Blu-Ray in North America.

But Part V only has one OST, so now I can enjoy the English dub without cringing over different music.

I did wonder about that since a dub-only release seemed strange, though I assumed something about the Italian broadcast was a factor since it seemed like too much of a coincidence
Zeino

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:52 pm Reply with quote
And people said that Lupin Part 4 was a failure on Toonami... Now we just need to know what will replace Hunter x Hunter. (My guess is Mob Psycho 100 II)
SolHerald

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

I did wonder about that since a dub-only release seemed strange, though I assumed something about the Italian broadcast was a factor since it seemed like too much of a coincidence

Also, it wasn't just the music since if that was the only problem that could have been still put on a single release. The visuals for the dubbed version are from the Italian broadcast and noticeably off at places and timed differently then the Japanese version. The Japanese broadcast version essentially is the "touched up for bluray" release.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:01 pm Reply with quote
^ I remember once reading on Forum Post's forums that Discotek could have matched the English dialog stems to the Japanese video and music, but were told not to by TMS. The use of Italian music in dub versions may have been a condition with the Italian broadcaster. Someone on that forum reached out to the English dubbers and were told they received the Italian edit with Japanese voices.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1