• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: My Sadistic Boyfriend GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the fair review. It was a breathe of fresh air and a good example on how to do a good review of such material.

Looking at Amazon, it actually clocks out at 181 pages.

With that title, I thought it might be more like these other exemplary manga titles; "Ew! My love letter from 7 years ago was delivered to that pervert! " and "The Forged Night With A Sadistic Serviceman: Cry with your lovely voice", which clock in around 50 to 60 pages per volume. Amazon has much more manga with cringy titles for sale, just like the ones mentioned.

The larger page count might mean My Sadistic Boyfriend is a step above those other titles.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:51 pm Reply with quote
You're welcome! It's always tough to review controversial subgenres like the one this falls into, because even if they're not necessarily my favorite, they may be someone else's, and I feel I owe it to them to look at the merits of the work, not just my own personal genre preferences. And honestly, if a story is well done enough, it can surpass its niche; I've got a lot of issues with Ten Count, for example, but I keep reading it because the execution trumps the fact that it's not my favorite type of romance.

Anyway, yes, this is a full-length volume. It was originally licensed by JManga. I've read a few of those others (not the two you specifically mentioned, but with similar titles), and this is worlds above them presentation-wise.

EDIT: Corrected my mix up. Sorry!

Last edited by Princess_Irene on Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total
HamsterExAstris

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:29 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Anyway, yes, this is a full-length volume. J-Novel Club (well, J-Manga Club) put it out, which is also why the translation is so good.

J-Novel Club has no association with the (now-defunct) JManga site. It looks like this release is actually being put out by the original Japanese publishers, Futabasha; I assume they're rereleasing the 2011 translation rather than doing a new one.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:50 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Anyway, yes, this is a full-length volume. J-Novel Club (well, J-Manga Club) put it out, which is also why the translation is so good. I've read a few of those others (not the two you specifically mentioned, but with similar titles), and this is worlds above them presentation-wise.

...Um, what?!

In no way has J-Novel Club any association with JManga or this title, absolutely none and never have been, the Japanese publisher Futabasha themselves are handling this release.
And as HamsterExAstris above wrote and it also clearly states on this very site's encyclopedia entry for this title if one cares to take a look, the former publisher/distributor is long gone, by now 6 years and counting, J-Novel Club on the other hand only started in 2016...
This IS your review, right?

Last edited by Blanchimont on Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:18 am Reply with quote
Yes, you're right, I got JManga, the original licensor of this title, confused with someone else, and no, they are not responsible for this release. I apologize for my confusion and my state of being human.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1