• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why is ANN advertising for an autism hate group?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:09 pm Reply with quote
I do have evidence of this if anyone needs it to verify what I am saying.

So I was rather surprised today when I was checking out ANN today. The site is FILLED with multiple Autism speaks ad on almost every page there is at least 1. I do not know how much control ANN has over the ads on their site, and I would pray that they were not so uninformed as to allow them on their site by their own choice.

I appreciate people wanting to support and educate people about autism, as I am someone who has an autism diagnosis. There are many of us in the anime community so I understand why it would be a great match for advertisers. While many people would assume that autism speaks is a positive organization for people like me, it really is not.

They are an autism hate group. An LGBT support group would not fear monger about the people they are supposed to be supporting. An LGBT support group would not say that autistic need to be cured. An LGBT support group would put it's funding to actually supporting the people it is "advocating" for and not less then 2%.

I had assumed based on your obvious political leanings as a company that you would not support such an organization. I have been a subscriber to your site for years now and am dismayed over how ANN would support such a group.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:58 pm Reply with quote
I believe we resolved this with you over e-mail, but since you also made it public here...

We don't have much control over the ads on ANN. Due to the way Internet advertising works, anyone can go through the networks and buy ads on ANN. Thousands of companies buy ads on ANN this way, and the ads are not pre-filtered by our staff (it would be impossible. ANN is much too small to change the way an industry dominated by Google and Facebook works).

Once there are ads such as these on ANN, once people report them to us, we are able to selectively request networks to remove them from ANN. I have requested that the network serving these ads remove them. Since the network is based in San Francisco, I expect the ads will be removed at the beginning of their work day today (in 12 hours).
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1